PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your Mobile/Smart Phone?

Casanova
21-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey,

I was thinking about this earlier whilst using my phone.
We rely more and more on a little portable piece of tech!

First off, keep in mind there's two types of phones - feature or smart phone.

Myself I use two phones, for different reasons. One was gifted to me by a company the other I pay for although once again it's discounted.

I have the HTC chacha which I primarily use for 'work' purposes. So when I need to web-browse in work (in relation to work!) and at home I'll use this for facebook because of the fantastic facebook intergration the chacha offers. FB button, FB chat in-built and facebook sync pretty much aces ANY smartphone I've used or known of for social networking.

I have my HTC Sensation XE which I use for a vast amount of stuff!
The battery life is extremely long, I normally put it on charge in the early hours and take it off charge in the morning and it always lasts all the way through.

I use my XE for eBook's, texts, calls, synced feeds like twitter, facebook (and trying to understand linkedin :rolleyes:!), music and movies. I live myself so it's always on me and being used often because I only have that for contact without seeing my friends and family everyday or house phone.

HotelUser
21-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I rarely use Text Messaging or Voice calls on my iPhone 4. I've owned a large variety of smartphones ranging from PalmOS, WebOS, Windows Mobile, Android, iOS and I've always been driven by the non-traditional phone features.

Portable internet is the most important feature to me on my phone. There's no other software feature more important to me than whether or not the device has a full and powerful web browser.

So when it comes to my phone, and tablet, I would say I do everything I do on my home computer on my portable devices, that can be accomplished in a browser.

Casanova
21-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I rarely use Text Messaging or Voice calls on my iPhone 4. I've owned a large variety of smartphones ranging from PalmOS, WebOS, Windows Mobile, Android, iOS and I've always been driven by the non-traditional phone features.

Portable internet is the most important feature to me on my phone. There's no other software feature more important to me than whether or not the device has a full and powerful web browser.

So when it comes to my phone, and tablet, I would say I do everything I do on my home computer on my portable devices, that can be accomplished in a browser.

Without flash player!?
That must be mighty difficult.

The only issue I have with my phones are the data usage. My phone eat's it. literally, 1.2GB in 11 days...

HotelUser
21-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Without flash player!?
That must be mighty difficult.

The only issue I have with my phones are the data usage. My phone eat's it. literally, 1.2GB in 11 days...

I have unlimited data because I have a very old phone contract from before the company I am with started charging outrageous prices.

Yes without flash! Heck yes! Flash is dying as far as I'm aware. I see more and more nice looking websites with JavaScript at the core these days. For example, mobile Facebook, GMail, Google+, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Answers, Twitter. All websites I have visited on my phone and all beautifully designed mobile interfaces completely free of flash :)

Casanova
21-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to web, we both know you'd know more...
but surely that's just so they don't lose core users whom have switched to iOs? So apple basically cornered the market and took three years to force a change?

That's not a good user-end experience in my opinion.
And urgh, I get 1GB free but had to add on another 500MB... I assume I'll go over that again.

HotelUser
21-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to web, we both know you'd know more...
but surely that's just so they don't lose core users whom have switched to iOs? So apple basically cornered the market and took three years to force a change?

That's not a good user-end experience in my opinion.
And urgh, I get 1GB free but had to add on another 500MB... I assume I'll go over that again.

Yes and no I think. I'm sure Apple rejecting flash has caused many others to avoid it as well, but you've also got to remember that there are still lots of phones that don't support flash, or where flash doesn't run the greatest on where javascript will work fine.

The best device I ever used for flash was my WebOS TouchPad. I'm not sure if that's because they just offered really really good support for the TouchPad or because of the dual core processor. I do know, though, that on my single core Nexus One flash never worked the best, and was never far along enough to make a website feel like a native interface using Flash. I'm sure that will all change eventually as Adobe continues improving Flash, as we see even more dual and quad core phones and as Google continues updating and improving Android, but right now if a website creator wanted to offer the most flexibility and compatibility with their web application, they'd be heavy on the javascript, and stray away from flash.

Edit: It will be really interesting to see how flash adapts to the mobile computing environment after Windows 8 is released. I think it would be in Adobe's best interest to talk to Microsoft or manufactures and try to squeeze flash pre-packaged in.

Fire-Fox
24-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Well on my iPhone 4S I mainly text, check twitter, e-mail, check my calendar, play fruit ninja, and use my camera. There are roughly 100 apps on my phone, but I just counted 31 that I tend to use semi-often.

Deak
24-10-2011, 05:20 PM
On my iPhone 3gs i text, make calls... Check e-mails, facebook, other websites. Go on lots of apps ( fifa 12 a lot lately ), check weather, youtube stuff! Lots of things really!

Dopiefreak
24-10-2011, 06:11 PM
For everything but ringing people!

I find I use my phone as more of a laptop than a phone these days. Playing games, checking social networks, checking email, planning events, setting alarms.

The list goes on, I would be really lost without it as sad as it sounds.

Camy
24-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I use my iPhone 4 for pretty much everything. Texts/calls/email/apps/fb/twitter/news/skype/youtube/music/calender to keep me organised. And I note down which days I worked on it.

Jordy
25-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Must admit I rarely find myself needing to use a computer recently since I've got an iPhone 4S. If it wasn't for the poor iPhone battery life which I find very limiting, I'd probably only use a computer for mass-downloading and college work.

I use the Messaging, Facebook, Twitter, Safari, Music, Mail, YouTube, BBC News and Camera apps pretty much all the time.

Recursion
25-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Calls
Texts
Internet (procrastination in lectures anyone?)
Twitter
Facebook
Facebook Chat
Google+ (and Instant Upload)
Camera
Alarm Clock
Doodle Jump
Maps
Music
Are my main uses, along with a ton of other apps for various things... not really day to day stuff though.

I also used my iPad more than my laptop in bed at home... I'm going back to my laptop though so I can talk to friends at other Unis while watching TV etc

Chippiewill
25-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Music / Podcasts / Quick internet use

I rarely use it as a phone.

Markeh
31-10-2011, 05:04 PM
I use my HTC for phone calls, Facebook, wi-fi hotspot, texting, and Tapatalk.

I use my second phone (currently a Nokia) for ads on Gumtree, Ad-Mag, etc, and for people I don't know (like if I'm giving something away on Freecycle) - I do a lot of selling and buying computer parts so it's handy to have a private number for this.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!