PDA

View Full Version : Favourite quote

Blinger
22-10-2011, 04:31 AM
Simple pimple.

What's your favourite quote? I have two at the moment

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten
And when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered...

Man.
Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

xdinosaurdaniel
22-10-2011, 05:29 AM
America is the country where you can buy a lifetime supply of aspirin for a dollar and use it up in two weeks.

MKR&*42
22-10-2011, 10:38 AM
I LOVE quotes, generally quite Philosophical or funny ones.

This is one of my fav. funny ones: “I wouldn’t take a bullet for anyone, because if I have time to jump in front of the bullet, they have time to move.” ~ Not sure who it's by

Philosophical one: "Once I dreamed I was a butterfly. Now I am unsure whether I am a human who dreamt I was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming I am human." ~ Chuang Tzu (A Chinese sage).

Neversoft
22-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I could never choose just one, but some I adore are...

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not."
- Mako Iwamatsu, from the series Avatar: The Last Airbender.

"Both of us have a lot of feelings we need to get out in the open. So if you want to take those feelings and smash somebody with them, smash me. Then we can understand each other better."
- Haruki Murakami, from the novel Norwegian Wood.

"All things change in a dynamic environment. Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you."
- Iemasa Kayumi, from the film Ghost in the Shell.

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams."
- Jeremy Irons, from the film The Time Machine.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

"Not all those who wander are lost."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

"Lust awakens the desire to possess. And that awakens the intent to murder."
- Yeong-su Oh, from the film Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring.

"We're both looking at the same moon, in the same world. We're connected to reality by the same line. All I have to do is quietly draw it towards me."
- Haruki Murakami, from the novel Sputnik Sweetheart.

"I get irritated, I get upset. Especially when I'm in a hurry. But I see it all as part of our training. To get irritated is to lose our way in life."
- Haruki Murakami, from the novel A Wild Sheep Chase.

"People want to be bowled over by something special. Nine times out of ten you might strike out, but that tenth time, that peak experience, is what people want. That's what can move the world. That's art."
- Haruki Murakami, from the novel South of the Border, West of the Sun.

"Memories are what warm you up from the inside. But they're also what tear you apart."
- Haruki Murakami, from the novel Kafka on the Shore.

"Letters are just pieces of paper. Burn them, and what stays in your heart will stay; keep them, and what vanishes will vanish."

"Unclose your mind. You are not a prisoner. You are a bird in fight, searching the skies for dreams."
- Haruki Murakami, from the novel Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

And finally...

"I swallowed in hopes of easing my thirst, but in the stillness of the night the sound I made was huge. As if this were a signal to her, Naoko stood and glided towards the head of the bed, gown rustling faintly. She knelt on the floor by my pillow, eyes fixed on mine. I stared back at her, but her eyes told me nothing. Strangely transparent, they seemed like windows to a world beyond, but however long I peered into their depths, there was nothing I could see. Our faces were no more than ten inches apart, but she was light years away from me."

There are so many more fantastic quotes that I could post from Haruki Murakami, but I will refrain from doing so before my post becomes giant. But his wisdom and the beauty of his words never fail to leave an impression. The man is a genius.

buttons
22-10-2011, 02:56 PM
"if you're going through hell, keep going"

"One should not pursue goals that are easily achieved. One must develop an instinct for what one can just barely achieve through one’s greatest efforts."

tylermunjkt
22-10-2011, 03:02 PM
''Not my daughter you *****!''

MKR&*42
22-10-2011, 03:05 PM
''Not my daughter you *****!''

OMG HP 7

I laughed my *** off when she said that!

Demi
22-10-2011, 03:11 PM
quotations
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
- Bill Cosby

“In three words I can sum up what I’ve learned about life: It goes on”
- Robert Frost

Slowpoke
22-10-2011, 03:15 PM
OMG HP 7

I laughed my *** off when she said that!

I found that scene incredibly underwhelming. The Molly/Bellatrix duel looked so rushed and cheap in comparison to the Snape/McGonnagal duel. It looks so unfinished. It's a massive shame aswell, didn't do what should of been one of the films highlights any where near enough justice

MKR&*42
22-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I found that scene incredibly underwhelming. The Molly/Bellatrix duel looked so rushed and cheap in comparison to the Snape/McGonnagal duel. It looks so unfinished. It's a massive shame aswell, didn't do what should of been one of the films highlights any where near enough justice

I do agree with what you say about it being rushed - it was over almost instantly and I was like.. "Wow, I could have blinked and missed it." but I still found that line hilarious :3

FlyingJesus
22-10-2011, 03:33 PM
"I'm not into wrinkles"

-Winona Ryder

Lost_Addict
22-10-2011, 03:53 PM
" An Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind " - Ghandi

Oleh
22-10-2011, 04:10 PM
"Try to fail, but aim to succeed"

coldguy404
22-10-2011, 04:33 PM
"I will not say that I failed 1000 times, I will say that I have found 1000 different ways to cause failure."

Thomas Edison.

Narnat,
22-10-2011, 05:15 PM
''If your lucky enough to be different never change.''
''Being Fearless isn't about being 100% Fearful, It's about being Scared but you jump anyway''

GirlNextDoor15
23-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Life is too deep for words.
so don’t try to describe it -
just live it.

Love that one.

Rixion
27-10-2011, 03:03 AM
"no regrets, only choices"

Eric
27-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it - Maya Angelou

Vinnie:Safety
27-10-2011, 04:44 AM
*Removed*

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do make inappropriate remarks

GirlNextDoor15
27-10-2011, 06:23 AM
You can win a war, but can you win the peace?

Circadia
27-10-2011, 09:02 AM
"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose" ~ Tom Krause
"Don't let the fear of striking out stop you from playing the game" ~ The Cinderella Story

Two quotes one from a person + one from a film :)

Ardemax
27-10-2011, 04:55 PM
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Churchill

Jordy
27-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Is it just me who struggles to appreciate or relate to any quotes? Most of them have little meaning to me, infact I'd go as far as saying there's only ever one quote I've ever liked. The vast majority of them seem to be rubbish.

"If you want to be happy, be"

Ardemax
27-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Is it just me who struggles to appreciate or relate to any quotes? Most of them have little meaning to me, infact I'd go as far as saying there's only ever one quote I've ever liked. The vast majority of them seem to be rubbish.

"If you want to be happy, be"

Maybe you just haven't found the right types of quotes yet. Maybe the traditional quote-makers (such as Gandhi) aren't your "ting".

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!