PDA

View Full Version : MySQL database

Luke
22-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Hello

Is it possible, to add stuff to a MySQL database from a visual basic/c# application? (Haven't chose the language yet)?

And is there any easy tutorials for a beginner? :') I've got loads of MySQL knowledge, and an average ammount of Visual Basic knowledge (through use of excel)

Cheers
Luke

Chippiewill
22-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes you can. Should you? No. Learn C or something instead of VB.

Luke
22-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Fair, I haven't started it yet, i was indecisive whether to use C# or VB. I'll get the C# on the go

Recursion
23-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Fair, I haven't started it yet, i was indecisive whether to use C# or VB. I'll get the C# on the go

Put the C# down and step away.

Go straight to C, then you can move onto C#, C++ easily.

triston220
23-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I would recommend sending the data to a PHP script. Storing your database credentials in a reversible application isn't a great idea.

Luke
23-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Put the C# down and step away.

Go straight to C, then you can move onto C#, C++ easily.

It's a good job I ain't started this yet! :p

I would recommend sending the data to a PHP script. Storing your database credentials in a reversible application isn't a great idea.

That sounds like a logical thing to do.. :')
tar

Jin
24-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Out of interest what are sort of application are you developing and to run on what type of platform?

Luke
24-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Out of interest what are sort of application are you developing and to run on what type of platform?

It's called "Squadron Admin", i'm moving my Air Training Corps squadron to the digital world, so the uniform catalogue, occurance book (book with what activity was done every night), incident book (self explanatory) will all be done digitally, but it's also gonna have all the forms read to print out, and the webmail in a browser control.

Hard to explain; but it'll only be running on the Admin Computer, so it's an application for a minimal audience really..

Chippiewill
24-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Couldn't you just use MS Access?

Luke
24-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Couldn't you just use MS Access?

I hate Access. :P and it's not quite advanced enough

Chippiewill
24-10-2011, 12:34 PM
It can do everything you ask for if you set it up properly.

Just setup tables for uniform, incident and occurances and then setup merge to word and you've got everything you wanted except webmail (And if you link it to a MySQL DB then you have that as well)

No need to overcomplicate things and sacrifice security.

Luke
24-10-2011, 02:03 PM
It can do everything you ask for if you set it up properly.

Just setup tables for uniform, incident and occurances and then setup merge to word and you've got everything you wanted except webmail (And if you link it to a MySQL DB then you have that as well)

No need to overcomplicate things and sacrifice security.

I wouldn't know where to start with the Access though :'), whereas with the VB idea, i can literally make the UI, and just include the PHP files - easier for me :P and it's quite secure, seeing as it's only installed on one computer :')

The PHP files are user authenticated using the squadrons website login, and it also requires a .htaccess password to access it initially.
I've been working on it this morning, and i've nearly succeeded :P

Recursion
25-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Why not just go with what you're comfortable with and use PHP/MySQL...?

I'm creating support desks, asset databases, intranet with news and all sorts for work and I'm just doing it in PHP/MySQL and shoving it on a virtualised LAMP server, it'll integrate nicely with our Active Directory too, making it dead easy to keep secure.

Luke
25-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Why not just go with what you're comfortable with and use PHP/MySQL...?

I'm creating support desks, asset databases, intranet with news and all sorts for work and I'm just doing it in PHP/MySQL and shoving it on a virtualised LAMP server, it'll integrate nicely with our Active Directory too, making it dead easy to keep secure.

I basically am, I'm just creating an application to hold it in, and to access everything easily - like i've got a menu for printing forms off, so we don't have to log into the MoD secure area and download it every time, just print it straight from the application :')

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!