PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a graphic design computer

Accipiter
22-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm considering getting a mac mini as I'm only doing it as a Hobby at the moment, but i'm not sure if pulling out even that much for a mac mini is a good idea, nor do I know if it'll support me enough to create a huge db of graphic files.

So I'd like help with the Mac Mini too, would it be a good investment?

My second request is, a PC Laptop based on graphic design, at around roughly 350-400 pound?

Or am I dreaming.

I have no idea what to look out for in specs when buying a laptop, and I certainly don't know whats good for me.

Recursion
22-10-2011, 10:03 PM
"Graphic design"... you don't need a Mac, it's unnecessary expense.

www.dell.co.uk, you'll easily get one for £300 - £400 that'll do the job.

Accipiter
22-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Should probably expand to a gaming one, I do want to start doing more than graphic design and expand into editing / video industry later on, which is the main reason macs were appealing, and because of the graphic software available for MAC's is better than that available for PC

But i'd settle for a PC that could run games well

Recursion
22-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Should probably expand to a gaming one, I do want to start doing more than graphic design and expand into editing / video industry later on, which is the main reason macs were appealing, and because of the graphic software available for MAC's is better than that available for PC

But i'd settle for a PC that could run games well

The "graphic software" for Macs are exactly the same as on Windows... in fact, Adobe Photoshop for example was actually originally designed for PCs and later ported to Mac.

Chippiewill
23-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Have to agree with Recursion here, get a PC, Mac is money down the drain for this one unless you specifically want a Mac.

Unless you want to do video editing then a computer from the 90s can handle graphic design.

Demi
23-10-2011, 12:34 AM
You're probably going to need to spend in the £400-£500 margin for a computer that can handle both gaming and graphic design. This depends on what kind of design too...

Loads of the new programs now that you can get your hands on are really needy on your computer/laptop. So look at the graphics, look for at least 512MB Graphics, DEDICATED. And I'd say at least an i3 processor.
Obviously HD space, but you can pick up a 1TB storage for about £50. So that's not an issue.
I'd say at least 4GB or ram too!

Dopiefreak
23-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Whilst I would always recommend getting a mac if you have the money too, it may not be needed here.

For graphic design you are going to be using the Adobe Suite, this is cross platform and it doesn't make any difference whether its Windows or Mac. The file formats are the same and can be sent to a Mac user from Windows and vice versa.

For Video Editing, I think the industry is split between Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro. Final Cut Pro X is Mac only, Premiere is cross platform. May want to do some research on what you plan on using.

If it was just for the above id say go with the Mac Mini, but if you plan on gaming too, I feel you will get a more suitable machine for your money outside of Apple.

peteyt
23-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Whilst I would always recommend getting a mac if you have the money too, it may not be needed here.

For graphic design you are going to be using the Adobe Suite, this is cross platform and it doesn't make any difference whether its Windows or Mac. The file formats are the same and can be sent to a Mac user from Windows and vice versa.

For Video Editing, I think the industry is split between Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro. Final Cut Pro X is Mac only, Premiere is cross platform. May want to do some research on what you plan on using.

If it was just for the above id say go with the Mac Mini, but if you plan on gaming too, I feel you will get a more suitable machine for your money outside of Apple.

I'd have to disagree with the video editing part unless its changed a lot. I've just done a Film & TV Production Degree and no one seems to talk about Adobe Premiere. I know its used sometimes but usually it seems to be between Final Cut Pro (Mac only) and Avid Media Composer (Mac and Windows). Avid is probably more expensive, and sometimes requires extra hardware, although I read they are changing a lot of it - I think the hardware is to quickly render stuff faster but is not necessary.

For the Video Editing do you just intend to create some small scale videos, or actually aim to eventually be a professional editor. If its the second one, knowing how to use both Avid and Final Cut (not sure about Premieire) is always handy, as it opens you to more jobs.

I'd go with Windows myself for the operating system as its cheaper and there's always an equivalent program wise.

Accipiter
23-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys, I use final cut pro (never been an Avid user) and things like Motion & Soundtrack Pro, which is the reason i'd want the Mac for future prospects.

I agree that if I wanted it just for adobe suite I'd definitely go out and get just a PC.

For storage I have a WD Drive (Pile of ****, don't bollock me) with 500Gb on, so that can come in handy, just at the moment its stored full of college work and has had all of its drivers wiped off because it done my head in.

I'll probably look out for a laptop first, then once i'm in the industry, as an apprentice or what ever which is what i'm looking out for, i'd probably go out and buy the mac mini after a year or so!

Cheers Maken i'll look out for those specs when buying a laptop too.

Dopiefreak
23-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I'd have to disagree with the video editing part unless its changed a lot. I've just done a Film & TV Production Degree and no one seems to talk about Adobe Premiere. I know its used sometimes but usually it seems to be between Final Cut Pro (Mac only) and Avid Media Composer (Mac and Windows). Avid is probably more expensive, and sometimes requires extra hardware, although I read they are changing a lot of it - I think the hardware is to quickly render stuff faster but is not necessary.

For the Video Editing do you just intend to create some small scale videos, or actually aim to eventually be a professional editor. If its the second one, knowing how to use both Avid and Final Cut (not sure about Premieire) is always handy, as it opens you to more jobs.

I'd go with Windows myself for the operating system as its cheaper and there's always an equivalent program wise.

Just going by what I had seen on a couple of forums. Lots of people weren't happy with Apples newest installment of Final Cut, so Adobe offered a discount on Premiere which took some people over. You will be right :P

Accipiter
23-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Done some google research

Although a lot of it seems old, the Mac Mini is just to much of a risk for me, I can feel it going wrong so I'm going to stick with PC.

Now the question is I still don't have a clue haha, what are good specs for screens? I want my images to be quite clear on the screen and coloured well, possibly the best clarity I can get, and I want the laptop to run smoothly because I get very, very irritated when they don't.

So can someone list specs for me to look out for in a laptop that will be good for graphics / image / video

Accipiter
23-10-2011, 05:49 PM
http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=QC187EA&experience=direct

HP Pavilion g6-1163ea Laptop PC

Processor Intel® Core™ i3-370M - 2.4 GHz - 3 MB L3 cache
Memory 4 GB DDR3Chipset Intel HM5
Storage 640 GB SATA (5400 rpm) - Up to 12 GB partition for system recovery - SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 39,6 cm (15,6") High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display
Display Resolution: 1366 x 76

Not sure about the display, is it a good display? I have no idea, but all the other specs sound good.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!