PDA

View Full Version : Sky?

scottish
24-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Well I've currently got full sky subscription and 2 multiroom subscriptions and a HD subscription..

I'm getting a new HDTV in my room, so figured may aswell get a HD Sky+ Box in my room

Atm both rooms have a normal old Sky box, to replace either of these with Sky+HD it's going to cost £199 one off + £60 installation

So basically, think I could get a second hand Sky+HD box, phone up sky and active HD and Sky+ etc on that box?

Or would they just refuse as i've not bought it through them?

Recursion
24-10-2011, 07:39 PM
So long as your viewing card's ID has HD and + enabled I don't see the problem... assuming +HD boxes use viewing cards.

scottish
24-10-2011, 07:40 PM
My current card is standard for this room

Which is why I'd assume I'd have to contact Sky, to enable the Sky+ and Sky HD on that card?

Recursion
24-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Yep. Then you can just buy a second hand +HD box.

Jin
24-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Buy the boxes 2nd hand and talk to sky that's what I did.

scottish
24-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Will be buying the 2nd hand boxes and phoning I guess

Am I **** paying £260 for a box when I'm already paying them over £80 a month.

Should be able to pick up a second hand one for about ~£50-60.

Recursion
25-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I don't understand why people bother paying that amount of SKY... most of what's on there is utter crap, on freeview or easily available for download.

xxMATTGxx
25-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't understand why people bother paying that amount of SKY... most of what's on there is utter crap, on freeview or easily available for download.

Freeview is missing a lot of the good channels to be honest, it's alright for certain things but if you like watching the other channels then Virgin Media or Sky is good. In terms of it being easily available for download.. yes but that's illegal and naughty tom! :P

Jin
25-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I am bored of freeview and freesat, finally moved to sky so I could watch the documentary package without hassle as well as the odd movie here or there. It's also nice to have a built in PVR and access to the sky range of channels.

peteyt
25-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Well I've currently got full sky subscription and 2 multiroom subscriptions and a HD subscription..

I'm getting a new HDTV in my room, so figured may aswell get a HD Sky+ Box in my room

Atm both rooms have a normal old Sky box, to replace either of these with Sky+HD it's going to cost £199 one off + £60 installation

So basically, think I could get a second hand Sky+HD box, phone up sky and active HD and Sky+ etc on that box?

Or would they just refuse as i've not bought it through them?

Make sure you have the two wires. Sometimes I believe they only put 1 wire in for stand boxes, and some boxes need a second one. When I got my normal box the guy put 2 wires in encase I decided to upgrade but didn't log it on the system so if I went through sky I'd be paying for a set up fee still for them to add the extra wire that is already there lmao how stupid.

scottish
25-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I've got 1 wire, the dish input?

Recursion
25-10-2011, 10:44 PM

You need x2 dish inputs for Sky+ functionality.

Oleh
25-10-2011, 10:46 PM

With Sky+ theres 2, as you can record 2 things at a time you need 2 connections to the LNB.

scottish
25-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Sigh

Think i'll get any form of discount if I phone them up and order it instead of through net?

Oleh
25-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Sigh

Think i'll get any form of discount if I phone them up and order it instead of through net?

You could either tempt fate and ask to upgrade, then threaten to cancel if they don't offer a lower price.

scottish
25-10-2011, 11:32 PM
They probably would give me a discount if I done that, as I'm paying over £80 a month, so they'd be at loss after 2 month.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!