PDA

View Full Version : macbook is dead

Metric1
25-10-2011, 12:44 AM
i was using my macbook today and low battery came on and then all of a sudden it shut down. the little battery indicator on the side wouldn't even light up.. i didn't have my charger because i was at the library so when i went home i plugged it in it took forever to turn on and everything on it was reset (date, forgot passwords)

it's a 2.53ghz macbook pro (purchased in 2009).. i use it daily, i use it for school, work and pleasure. it needs a new battery, new charger, and os x updated (i still have leopard).. i would also like to upgrade the ram to 8gb and maybe add a bigger hard-drive.

seeing as i use it all the time i can't be without a computer for more than a few days so sending it away for an extended period is not an option.

should i just cut my losses and go new or is it worth the money to repair it/fix it up?

Oleh
25-10-2011, 03:15 AM
The battery drained therefore it will take sometime to turn on due to power being taken from the battery not mains in which case it requires charge to run plus some.

The date reset due to some underlying factor in which all apple devices appear to store the date in RAM.

(I literally just thought this up, so feel free to tell me if I'm right :D )

Recursion
25-10-2011, 07:18 AM
The battery drained therefore it will take sometime to turn on due to power being taken from the battery not mains in which case it requires charge to run plus some.

The date reset due to some underlying factor in which all apple devices appear to store the date in RAM.

(I literally just thought this up, so feel free to tell me if I'm right :D )

The date shouldn't have reset, it has an EFI like a computer has a BIOS, with it's own battery.

It would have taken a while to turn on with the battery in whilst plugged in in this scenario as it would give charging the battery priority over running the machine. New batteries run around £120 last time I looked and chargers ~£50. If the RAM is DDR3 you could upgrade to 8GB for about £35, if it's DDR2 it's going to be more expensive.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!