PDA

View Full Version : Jagex law suit... REAL

DPS
26-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Below is what was sent to many botters yesterday. at first everyone decided to think it was fake untill this...

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?14,15,831,63310676

Mod Timo confirms they will be taking action and that the email was sent by Jagex.

Dear Player,

We have strong evidence that you may have purchased and used botting software in the past, specifically ibot software.

Botting and the cheating it brings is destroying your game, violates Jagex's rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and any player that continues to engage in botting activity has no place in our community.

As part of bot nuke week we are offering you a 1 time amnesty and settlement lifeline, which is a chance to reform and change your ways. We'd like you to contribute to the community in a positive way, to compete on a level playing field as everyone else does and play in the true spirit of the game, with integrity. All of your accounts, main and otherwise, are now on our watch list and will be monitored for the use of ibot and all other inappropriate third-party software. Regardless of who you are or how long you've been with us, if you decide to cheat and bot ever again we will have no hesitation in: (1) permanently removing your account from our wonderful community in order to protect Jagex's rights under the DMCA, and (2) naming you as a defendant in Jagex Limited v. John Does, which is a lawsuit based on DMCA violations that is currently pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Civ. Action No. SACV11-00969-CJC).

Please note that this amnesty and settlement offer is protected under Fed. R. Evid. 408. If you ignore our offer and instead continue use botting software, we reserve our rights to pursue statutory damages against you for between $200 to $2,500 per act of past, present, and/or future botting in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 1203(c)(3).

We do hope you make the morally sound and lawful choice of turning your back on bots. We look forward to seeing you in game having fun in a way that is true to the spirit of fair play and respectful to your fellow players.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Gerhard

Catzsy
26-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Looks like they are getting tough. I had a message the other day to say I had committed an offence. When I clicked it was a quashed one for 'real life' trading. :S

JoeyK.
26-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I doubt this is real. Anyway, as far as US law goes, you can't hold a minor accountable for their actions; you would have to go after their parents. Good luck with that, Jagex. Someone pays YOU for membership and then you try to charge them $200+? Lol.

Demi
26-10-2011, 11:13 AM
It breaks the agreement they sign up to... You can't buy membership without bill payers permission, so probably their parents! And lets be honest, botters dont usually have membership, theyre on f2p...

DPS
26-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I doubt this is real. Anyway, as far as US law goes, you can't hold a minor accountable for their actions; you would have to go after their parents. Good luck with that, Jagex. Someone pays YOU for membership and then you try to charge them $200+? Lol.

You doubt its real? yet click the link and a Mod Timo confirms its from Jagex....

Kyle
26-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Looks like they are getting tough. I had a message the other day to say I had committed an offence. When I clicked it was a quashed one for 'real life' trading. :S
Those are phishing emails. Jagex never send you emails about offences.

Good to see them finally taking some action. Joey, they do have grounds to sue but it's unlikely that they will do so, especially for individual players.

Maken, that's a crock of ****. A hell of a lot of members use bots regularly or have used them in the past. You'd be surprised how many of your friends list actually bot... if you even play runescape, that is.

Don't really like how they are giving 'one last chance'. Just perm ban them all and be done with it.

Slowpoke
26-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I do like how they are getting tough with this, botting does ruin the game for others in a rather serious way. Ever since Free Trade has returned botting has gotten once more so I think it's important to deal with the problem if we want to keep Free Trade! I did use bots one point but stopped. I like that they are giving everyone one last chance to. If you choose not to take the final warning then you're running the risk of a fine, it seems. Whether or not they really will take it that far is worth another discussion altogether; afterall, it could just be a very brave bluff :P

Thomas
26-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Didn't get that email boom!

Tom
26-10-2011, 12:49 PM
It's pretty stupid how they're trying to sue people for botting, even though most bot on an F2P world and don't buy membership in case of a ban. At the end of the day, not many botters pay for anything, it's an online game, just ban them and get over it.

beth
26-10-2011, 12:52 PM
i think this is a clever move by jagex because, though they will probably never go about sueing individuals, the threat of a legit law suit will scare enough of the younger botters into stopping.

JoeyK.
26-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Let me rephrase that. I doubt Jagex would try to sue a bunch of underage kids.

Kyle
26-10-2011, 01:37 PM
It's pretty stupid how they're trying to sue people for botting, even though most bot on an F2P world and don't buy membership in case of a ban. At the end of the day, not many botters pay for anything, it's an online game, just ban them and get over it.
They are making thousands of pounds profit (the bots, not jagex) per month from simply renting VPS, loading up 30+ bots and sodding off out. THAT is why it has come to this. It's nothing to do with people botting 99 woodcutting at ivy or w.e

scottish
26-10-2011, 01:51 PM
They waited too long and already ****** up the game too much.

Thomas
26-10-2011, 02:15 PM
They waited too long and already ****** up the game too much.
this...

DPS
26-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Also the image they send via email, is actully hosted via the runescape.com site. lol

Rashelly
26-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Good.
and they haven't said they're suing all botters, just that they have the right to... Which they do.

IMO they should sue bot makers and goldsellers.

Catzsy
26-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Those are phishing emails. Jagex never send you emails about offences.

Good to see them finally taking some action. Joey, they do have grounds to sue but it's unlikely that they will do so, especially for individual players.

Maken, that's a crock of ****. A hell of a lot of members use bots regularly or have used them in the past. You'd be surprised how many of your friends list actually bot... if you even play runescape, that is.

Don't really like how they are giving 'one last chance'. Just perm ban them all and be done with it.

It was a console message. It said it was from June but was quashed. I didn't get any notice is June about anything. Still confused.

DPS
26-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Good.
and they haven't said they're suing all botters, just that they have the right to... Which they do.

IMO they should sue bot makers and goldsellers.

For some reason they cant sue *Removed* It's a legal Company. as for another "rs bot" i wont mention or did u just mention it lmao... they own a gold site... and thats why so many people got hacked when free trade come back.

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the filter

Rashelly
26-10-2011, 07:56 PM
For some reason they cant sue *Removed* It's a legal Company. as for another "rs bot" i wont mention or did u just mention it lmao... they own a gold site... and thats why so many people got hacked when free trade come back.

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the filter

they sued a bot company already, didn't they? idk what one but apparently the bot people had to give them all their code etc to jagex by July 31st. I think they sued them for other things, like copyright or something.

as for other bots as companies, no idea cause i don't keep up with bot news, but they could probably find a way... to at least shut the website down or something.

idk, i just hope they keep it up and keep most of the bots at bay. even if they have to update every day

DPS
26-10-2011, 08:09 PM
they sued a bot company already, didn't they? idk what one but apparently the bot people had to give them all their code etc to jagex by July 31st. I think they sued them for other things, like copyright or something.

as for other bots as companies, no idea cause i don't keep up with bot news, but they could probably find a way... to at least shut the website down or something.

idk, i just hope they keep it up and keep most of the bots at bay. even if they have to update every day

If the bot client i use doesnt come back up, i have to sell up, as i will no longer get onto rs, as the original RS client blackscreens me, and so does trying from there site, the botting client is the only way i can play...

Rashelly
26-10-2011, 08:57 PM
If the bot client i use doesnt come back up, i have to sell up, as i will no longer get onto rs, as the original RS client blackscreens me, and so does trying from there site, the botting client is the only way i can play...
that makes absolutely no sense.

DPS
26-10-2011, 09:29 PM
that makes absolutely no sense.

I cant play runescape legit... because runescapes site gives me blackscreen, there client also gives me blackscreen....

The only way i can log in without getting blackscreen is via the bot i used...

Rashelly
26-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I cant play runescape legit... because runescapes site gives me blackscreen, there client also gives me blackscreen....

I understood the sentence, I just don't understand why that would happen.

Slowpoke
26-10-2011, 10:36 PM
It's quite a common thing actually, surprisingly common

Rashelly
27-10-2011, 11:56 AM
If that's the case, surely the bot client would work? Just no running a bot?

DPS
27-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Bot clients aint working, Jagex changed alot of stuff.

Rashelly
27-10-2011, 07:32 PM
have you tried playing in SK or any other browsers? or changing the java settings? there must be a way... unless your computer was made in 1993

JoeyK.
27-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I would think that SwiftKit would work if a bot client does.

DPS
27-10-2011, 11:06 PM
have you tried playing in SK or any other browsers? or changing the java settings? there must be a way... unless your computer was made in 1993

Lol ive tryed everything, it happen when i installed wow on the pc, and nah my pc is not tht old lol like 2007.

Inseriousity.
28-10-2011, 06:03 PM
have you updated your java? perhaps the bot works cos they have the right java??

lolol this is just guesswork btw.

I think the lawsuit is quite clever. They know that bots will make a comeback but to put as many people off as they can will help slow it down a bit hopefully.

DPS
28-10-2011, 06:13 PM
have you updated your java? perhaps the bot works cos they have the right java??

lolol this is just guesswork btw.

I think the lawsuit is quite clever. They know that bots will make a comeback but to put as many people off as they can will help slow it down a bit hopefully.

Yeah ive updated, removed, and downloaded. ive system restored and done anything again ect ect

---------- Post added 28-10-2011 at 07:14 PM ----------

I would think that SwiftKit would work if a bot client does.

And no Joey SK uses the runescape website, i need a .jar file on my pc to start for it to work, thats how i did with ******* as you download there bot and its a jar file.

GommeInc
28-10-2011, 06:45 PM
I'd e-mail Jagex if I were you asking why you cannot connect to their service. The more people who report the better, they're only losing custom if they do not fix this - and as far as I am aware Jagex are customer-focused so they should be willing to listen :) Try not to mention the bot client, but if all else faisl you could hint that this sort of client helped you log-in but you didn't use it for botting.

DPS
28-10-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd e-mail Jagex if I were you asking why you cannot connect to their service. The more people who report the better, they're only losing custom if they do not fix this - and as far as I am aware Jagex are customer-focused so they should be willing to listen :) Try not to mention the bot client, but if all else faisl you could hint that this sort of client helped you log-in but you didn't use it for botting.

I did think about that, but doubt they would listen :(

GommeInc
28-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I did think about that, but doubt they would listen :(
Worth a shot, I would if I were you. Is Runescape still only accessed on their site or is there a downloadable client? I haven't played in years :P

DPS
28-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Worth a shot, I would if I were you. Is Runescape still only accessed on their site or is there a downloadable client? I haven't played in years :P both of them lol

kooldude23
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM

When you log in change your graphics settings from DirectX to OpenGL or Software.

And it's not a case of them sending the e-mail, its about where they gained this information. Only people who had the same e-mail registered on RS and PayPal got the e-mail. It is Illegal for PayPal to leak this information without each individual users consent, which neither party asked for. The bot sites have strong grounds to have the court case dismissed.
More info, including a copy of the counter-lawsuit can be found here (http://www.*****s.net/forums/index.php?topic=272524.0)

scottish
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Link is filtered.

Fairly sure Jagex could get the information from paypal with a warrant.

kooldude23
05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Oh ok i didnt realise
In that case idk if i can post it on here but im sure google can help if you want to read it

EDIT

Fairly sure Jagex could get the information from paypal with a warrant.

From the filtered site:

"Earlier this year, Jagex's lawyers subpoenaed PayPal for information regarding purchase information of bot customers. Knowing how sensitive this information is, and how much we care about our customers, our lawyers immediately responded to this subpoena to question their intentions. Their lawyers specifically made it clear that this information would not be shown to any Jagex employees. To ensure this, we filed a protective order on the information with the courts to make it illegal for their lawyers to show any of the information to Jagex employees.

Later this summer, Jagex illegally circumvented the protective order. To dupe the courts, Jagex filed a separate suit in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Jagex Limited vs. John Does). The courts in the State of California did not know about the protective order, and granted Jagex's lawyers access to the PayPal information again with another subpoena for that case. Of course, this time, there was no protective order. This is a mockery of the U.S. legal system."

Rashelly
05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
The bot company TOLD you they had strong grounds... In fact, they didn't. I'm sad and read most of the case file and laughed at the demands the bot company were making...
And surprise surprise, the sanctions were denied :p

www.rfcexpress.com

Don't think I can post the direct link because it's probably against some silly habbox rule.

scottish
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I can't find the case on there, latest jagex is hao chen?

Rashelly
05-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I can't find the case on there, latest jagex is hao chen?
third down.

scottish
05-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Oh the one from 2009.

Rashelly
05-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Oh the one from 2009.
That's just when it was started. It was last updated a few days ago.

scottish
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/copyright-lawsuits/california-northern-district-court/51797/jagex-limited-v-john-doe/official-court-documents/

That lawsuit? :S

I can't see it being updated lately, lol.

Rashelly
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/copyright-lawsuits/california-northern-district-court/51797/jagex-limited-v-john-doe/official-court-documents/

That lawsuit? :S

I can't see it being updated lately, lol.

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/copyright-lawsuits/massachusetts-district-court/54191/fagex-limited-v-impulse-software/summary/

11/2/2011 89 Judge Nathaniel M. Gorton: ORDER entered. MEMORANDUM AND ORDER: "In accordance with the foregoing, defendants' emergency motion for sanctions (Docket No. 82 ) is DENIED. So ordered." (Moore, Kellyann) (Entered: 11/02/2011)

scottish
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Who's Impulse?

Rashelly
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Who's Impulse?

IDK? I'm guessing the people that run/make the bot.
I don't know much about botting companies, when Jagex announced the bot nuke I did some research and that link was posted on one of the bot site forums by the admin when they said they were going to file a law suit. It's been removed now (the link) but the case file is still up

DPS
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Just saying ******* isnt a botting forum anymore.. you *** mods so stop sending me ****... ******* is owned by Jacmob, Jacmob - J Mod = GG

scottish
05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
whats ********

Kyle
05-11-2011, 07:15 PM
buddy^

DPS
05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
RS
Buddy

Kyle the mods seem to think its a botting site.. LOL they need to get out there and work out what it is. it's now just a normal forum owned by a j mod ;s

Thomas
06-11-2011, 07:17 AM
rs-buddy = not a bot like dps said :P

Jacmob was hired by Jagex to prevent more bots slowly popping up again. (so he said)

DPS
06-11-2011, 11:44 AM
rs-buddy = not a bot like dps said :P

Jacmob was hired by Jagex to prevent more bots slowly popping up again. (so he said)

Yeah the ****** sold out

Catzsy
06-11-2011, 11:53 AM
RS
Buddy

Kyle the mods seem to think its a botting site.. LOL they need to get out there and work out what it is. it's now just a normal forum owned by a j mod ;s

Might be a good idea to pm Scott/ file a complaint to say it is now legit so it comes out of the filter then you won't get anymore pms and get the user notes deleted you have had regarding it. :P How would mods know? Anyway, Runescape seems to really come down hard on bots although I am sure somebody will find away around it.

Thomas
06-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Might be a good idea to pm Scott/ file a complaint to say it is now legit so it comes out of the filter then you won't get anymore pms and get the user notes deleted you have had regarding it. :P How would mods know? Anyway, Runescape seems to really come down hard on bots although I am sure somebody will find away around it.
With jacmob on Jagex's side no-one will even try.

DPS
06-11-2011, 01:54 PM
With jacmob on Jagex's side no-one will even try.

Yeah but Ri Does ;]

But you cant do other stuff, but i reckon that will get patched soon too.

Jagex have killed Runescape, they dont get more than 150k on at one time LOL

Thomas
06-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah but Ri Does ;]

But you cant do other stuff, but i reckon that will get patched soon too.

Jagex have killed Runescape, they dont get more than 150k on at one time LOL
Ri fails so hard though if you know how they work...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!