PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Unveils New Phones

Mr-Trainor
26-10-2011, 06:41 PM
The Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 will be the first Nokia smartphones powered by Windows Phone.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/26/nokia-unveils-first-lumia-phones-based-on-windows-phone-7-5/

Nokia today announced the launch of its first two smartphones to be based on Microsoft's Windows Phone platform, marking a milestone in the collaboration between the two companies that will see Nokia shift away from its Symbian operating system and the transitional MeeGo platform. The shift comes as Nokia tries to rekindle interest in its phones amid a rapid rise in the popularity of Apple's iOS and Google's Android platforms.

The high-end Lumia 800, available in black, cyan and magenta, features a 3.7-inch 800x480 AMOLED screen and a 1.4 GHz Snapdragon processor, along with 16 GB of storage and an 8-megapixel camera. The Lumia 710 offers the same 3.7-inch screen and 1.4 GHz processor found in the Lumia 800, but contains only 8 GB of storage and a 5-megapixel camera. The device is available in black and white, with changeable back covers available in an assortment of colors. Both handsets run the latest Windows Phone 7.5 Mango operating system.

The Lumia 800 will initially launch in a number of European countries next month, with availability set to expand to several more Asian countries and Russia by the end of the year. The Lumia 710 will debut alongside the Lumia 800 in that device's Asian launch countries and Russia later this year, with both handsets set to expand to additional markets beginning early next year.

Nokia's plans for the United States remain unclear, as the company's press release notes only that it will be bringing a "portfolio of products" to the U.S. early next year. The company is so far only promoting the Lumia 710 on its U.S. site.

Jordy
26-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Looks like Nokia finally have that nail in their coffin they were looking for. Windows Phone is no better than iOS 2, it's incredibly limited and no where near as customizable or supported as iOS or Android. It's always been my view that Windows Mobile 6.5 is far better than the latest Windows Phones'. Unsurprisingly it's failed to take off so why on earth would Nokia start using it? Doomed to fail, much.

A few weeks back I went in Nokia's flagship Helsinki store, the poor choice of phones, miserable looking staff and lack of people inside said it all really.

xxMATTGxx
26-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Windows Phone 7 is not a bad operating system at all, to be honest I love it. It's a great system, its fast, its sleek and it's good looking. It's not got all the features of iOS or Android but Microsoft are going to keep pushing for it and will do whatever they can to make it at least one of the Top 3 OS for smartphones. They will continue to add features and further updates down the line.

The Nokia's Lumia 800 is beautiful looking and looks like a great device. I wish them all the best for Nokia as they really did have to do something and I hope they can sell as many devices and produce even more WP7 devices in the future.

Recursion
26-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't see the hate towards Windows Phone 7. I had the same opinion on it before I had used it but actually after trying it for myself on a physical device a few days ago (woo MS Ifcube on campus lol) I think it's got some real potential. It's certainly a lot smoother than Android or iOS and the live tiles are a much nicer way to present data quickly to the end user.

By smooth I mean, there was never any lag or anything, you click something and it happened like you expect it to. It could definitely do with a few more apps on it's store (which is where Android and iOS are definitely leading) but I think MS and Nokia could be onto a real deal here, I'm certainly trying to get a Lumia 800 in the next couple of weeks seeing as my contract is up.

To me, little things like the camera are starting to matter more than the amount of apps available, all cameras on Android or iOS devices are shockingly bad and that's an area Nokia have always excelled, for example.

Jordy
26-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I think you've both got it wrong but there we are. Windows Phone is still massively playing catch-up with Android and iOS, it's not even remotely close to either their features or success. It never will catch up either, seeing as iOS and Android will continue to be innovative, whilst Windows Phone most likely won't be, seeing as it hasn't been for a longtime and will be too busy playing catch up.

GommeInc
27-10-2011, 12:28 AM
The phones are good but the main problem with them is Windows Phone 7, it has a lot of catching up to do. Once it's got the basics sorted it should hopefully be a decent phone OS and therefore make any phones using it become more appealing to the mass audiences. I'm debating between another Android phone or a Windows Phone 7 phone for when my contract is up in April, so hopefully there will be come interesting new developments around then.

Microsoft should be pushing as many updates as possible for the OS, you rarely hear of them doing much to WP9. The last major developments were with Mango, and that's about it :/

xxMATTGxx
27-10-2011, 12:35 AM
The phones are good but the main problem with them is Windows Phone 7, it has a lot of catching up to do. Once it's got the basics sorted it should hopefully be a decent phone OS and therefore make any phones using it become more appealing to the mass audiences. I'm debating between another Android phone or a Windows Phone 7 phone for when my contract is up in April, so hopefully there will be come interesting new developments around then.

Microsoft should be pushing as many updates as possible for the OS, you rarely hear of them doing much to WP9. The last major developments were with Mango, and that's about it :/

Would be Windows Phone 8, Mango is Windows Phone 7.5. They will show previews to the next major update whenever they have enough to announce, I wouldn't expect to see previews straight away, no one else does that and it does take time to work on such things.

It's still a pretty solid OS, it just needs even more applications than it has now which has improved over the recent months to be honest. Even more features to be added is great and Microsoft are currently allowing anyone to give them suggestions and vote for them.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

It may not have all the features of iOS or Android but it has some pretty good features so far and the userbase is still growing. I'm still sticking to the platform and will support on it's way as long as Microsoft does. I switched from Android to to WP7 as I wanted a change, so far the change is great.

Casanova
27-10-2011, 01:58 AM
phones 4u are getting the Lumia as of the 16th - should have it exclusively too.

Recursion
27-10-2011, 01:34 PM
phones 4u are getting the Lumia as of the 16th - should have it exclusively too.

Nope. /longer

Casanova
28-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Nope. /longer

I double checked today cos I doubted myself and you're right!

Apologiessssss.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!