View Full Version : Future Vision

scottish
27-10-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cNdhOKwi0

http://www.microsoft.com/office/vision/

not sure if its been posted before.

xxMATTGxx
27-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Pretty nice video, it's always interesting to watch such videos.

MKR&*42
27-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Hmm, that's rather intriguing and pretty awesome.

However, I'd hate to live in a world where technology is used for absolutely everything - e.g. Those translating glasses thing, is kind of lazy. Learning the language can take more time yes, but it's much more interesting and not as lazy than translating glasses.

If that's a "book" which is made out of new-technology (future-technology) compared to paper, that annoys me. It just doesn't feel right when you're reading of a screen. That's why I hate the Amazon Kindle xL

However, that still looks fantastic and would be quite good in providing information in the future and would definitely aid accessibility and would be less time-consuming ^_^.

AgnesIO
28-10-2011, 03:51 PM

However, I'd hate to live in a world where technology is used for absolutely everything - e.g. Those translating glasses thing, is kind of lazy. Learning the language can take more time yes, but it's much more interesting and not as lazy than translating glasses.

If that's a "book" which is made out of new-technology (future-technology) compared to paper, that annoys me. It just doesn't feel right when you're reading of a screen. That's why I hate the Amazon Kindle xL

However, that still looks fantastic and would be quite good in providing information in the future and would definitely aid accessibility and would be less time-consuming ^_^.

You can hardly expect people on business trips to learn the language of loads of different countries.

scottish
28-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Technology is used for most stuff. Translation glasses would be useful, I don't have the time or the interest in learning other languages (everyone should know English to keep it simple, init) as Marketing said for business trips and other such occasions where you will be speaking to peope from different countries with different languages it would be alot easier.

I don't see what difference it does reading a book and flipping pages, then reading it off a computer :s But then again books have always been boring and something I've shown no interest in, but I can't see the difference (other than the fact you can store millions of e-books on that one device, compared to having 1 book in front of you)

The technology for everything in the video currently exists or is being researched by Microsoft.

Stephen
28-10-2011, 04:41 PM
the future looks too complicated soz

Recursion
28-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Just a shame we'll probably never see any of that in reality.

GommeInc
28-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Just a shame we'll probably never see any of that in reality.
We'd either be dead, very old or it simply will never exist :P I can see half of this stuff existing, but not having the brains to use it and complaining that the younger generation know too much about too little. IF this sort of technology is made available then there will be a lot of law suits filed, but hopefully this concept video of ideas will be proof for Microsoft :P

Nice to see the research side of Microsoft making an appearance though.

Chippiewill
28-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Funny thing is half of the concepts made here stem back from minority report.

Jutnux
30-10-2011, 10:21 AM
According to some person's law whom I can't remember the name of, technology doubles every 2 years. So we might get pretty close to this by the time we die.

Recursion
30-10-2011, 10:28 AM
According to some person's law whom I can't remember the name of, technology doubles every 2 years. So we might get pretty close to this by the time we die.

That's Moore's law... although IIRC there's been evidence to show we're beginning to hit various hard limits that are slowing Moore's law down.

Jutnux
30-10-2011, 11:33 AM
That's Moore's law... although IIRC there's been evidence to show we're beginning to hit various hard limits that are slowing Moore's law down.

Such a shame, I'd really like to be around to see things like this happen.

Chippiewill
30-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Moore's law isn't a requirement, it's contingent on Human progression which has several substantial and very real limits. It also only refers to the number of transistors which can be put into the same area, it does not guide the rest of technology.

There is already evidence to show that the rate is slowing down. However much of what we've seen here is possible within fifteen years potentially.. OLED, Cloud computing, etc. most of these technologies just need a price drop

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!