PDA

View Full Version : Changing time, UK to move to European time?

scottish
28-10-2011, 01:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249

The government is considering moving the UK's clocks forward by an hour for a three-year trial period.

Ministers are writing to counterparts in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to seek a UK-wide consensus on a trial.

It would see the UK adopt Central European Time, with BST plus one hour in summer and GMT plus one in winter.

But a spokeswoman for the Scottish government said its "established position" was that there was "no case for a change to existing arrangements".

'Double summertime'

If adopted, the change would mean that for one autumn, the clocks would not go back, synchronising the UK with much of Europe, and British Summer Time (BST) would effectively continue throughout the winter months.

The following spring the clocks would go forward by an - to BST plus one hour, or two hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) - something which has been called "double summertime".

Continue reading the main story
TIME FACTS
Up until the coming of the railways, people kept time by the sun. This was known as local mean time
It was only in 1880 that GMT was adopted countrywide
The idea of British Summer Time was floated in 1906 but not implemented until 1916
The British Summer Time Act 1972 stipulates that GMT begins on the last Sunday of October and BST on the last Sunday of March
NFU backs daylight savings review

The move is a response to the Daylight Savings Private Members' Bill put forward by Conservative MP Rebecca Harris.

It calls for a review of the potential costs and benefits of advancing the clocks by one hour, and if the review recommends it, a trial period.

Ms Harris told BBC2's Daily Politics her bill was about "moving an extra hour of daylight from the morning when a lot of us waste it in bed to the evening when we can actually get out and enjoy it and do things after school and work".

Advocates cite a range of benefits to lighter evenings, including promoting sports and exercise and reducing energy consumption.

Road accidents

But for years the case in favour of change has struggled because of opposition in Scotland where it would leave some northern-most areas without daylight until 10am during the winter months.

Critics say this would make the lives of outdoor workers harder and increase road accidents. Northern Scotland saw a net increase in the number of people killed or seriously injured during a trial from 1968 to 1971.

Start Quote
Fixing the clocks to British summertime would mean that dawn wouldn't break in Scotland until nearly 9am”
End Quote
Angus MacNeil

SNP

Mail on Sunday columnist Peter Hitchens told the Daily Politics it was not just a problem for Scotland.

"It's not just Highlanders and milkmaids who are going to suffer when this comes in, it's absolutely everybody.

"We'd all in England have breakfast in the dark. Then in the summer it twists the other way so you'd be watching Newsnight and it'd be light outside."

The government opposed Ms Harris's bill when it had its second reading last December on the grounds that it made no provision for consultation with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

But the Department for Business is now tabling amendments relating to the devolved nations which it says will allow Westminster to support it.

Business Minister Ed Davey said consensus would be needed to make any changes:

"This is an issue which affects everyone across the country so we cannot rush head first into this," he said.

"It is only right that we at least look at what the potential economic and social benefits of any change might be."

'Absolute veto'

A spokesman for the Scottish government said welcomed the commitment to consult the devolved administrations formally but added: "The Scottish government's established position is that there is no case for a change to existing arrangements."

And SNP MP Angus MacNeil said any change would have "massive implications for the safety and wellbeing of everyone living north of Manchester".

Start Quote
This is far too important an issue to allow the Scottish tail to wag the British do”
End Quote
Tim Yeo

Conservative MP

"It is no secret that Tories in the south want to leave Scotland in darkness, but fixing the clocks to British summertime would mean that dawn wouldn't break in Scotland until nearly 9am," he said.

But Scotland's farming lobby, NFU Scotland, said while it was "nervous" about the potential impact, the time was right for a full, independent analysis.

According to Whitehall sources, the Scottish government will get an "absolute veto" on the proposals.

That has annoyed the Conservative MP Tim Yeo, chairman of the Commons energy and climate change committee who tabled a bill in 2007 aimed at getting the clocks moved forward by one hour.

He said: "It's feeble to say that this change is the right thing to do but they will only do it if Scotland says yes. This is far too important an issue to allow the Scottish tail to wag the British dog."

The clocks were moved forward by an hour during World War II to maximise productivity at munitions factories and ensure people got home safely before the blackout.

Following the 1968 to 1971 trial, when BST was employed all year round, a White Paper said it was impossible to quantify the advantages and disadvantages of the move.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15494984

Kyle
28-10-2011, 01:53 PM
what the hell is the point

scottish
28-10-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15494984

watch the argument

meant to save lifes and stuff, but it failed 7 times in the past so no idea

inb4undertakermakessomementionoftheEU

Jordan
28-10-2011, 01:57 PM
I read this earlier, and I don't find the point in it either. It's been done in the past and it's been changed back. I don't agree:P

Red
28-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Im abit confused but I don't really like the sound of it. Does this mean children will be going to school in the dark during winter? :S

Vinnie:Safety
28-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Does this affect the united states east coast at all?

xxMATTGxx
28-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I find this very pointless to do, stick to what we are used to.

No.

scottish
28-10-2011, 02:55 PM

UK to move to European time?

Yes, this is going to have a HUGE impact on the united states.

But yeah, pointless.

kuzkasate
28-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Don't see the point... you either have it or you don't. What's the point trialing it for 3 years?

MKR&*42
28-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Pointless and confusinggg

Just leave it as it is, no-one's really interesting in changing the time -__- .

dbgtz
28-10-2011, 05:10 PM
So they want it so that we don't waste day time in bed. Well as far as I see it, I don't really care when the sun comes and I base what I do in the day depending on the time. I don't think anyone would change their days on this, work and schools would still open at the same time therefore people have to get up at the same time so they will sleep at the same time. Why are people wasting time bothering other such stupid issues.

Also just thinking about it, if we move an hour forward we are GMT+1, so surely then GMT+1=GMT so any time based on GMT would be confusing or GMT would just not exist at all.

Ardemax
28-10-2011, 05:37 PM
glad the tories are trying to tackle the debt problems and the potential for another recession in europe

GommeInc
28-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Urgh, thought this would rear its ugly head again :P It would change sod all. We should be wasting our time and money doing other things.

Mr-Trainor
28-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't really think its neseccary.

Ajthedragon
28-10-2011, 07:51 PM
If it saves energy and helps the environment I'm all for it.

Don't see why people are getting so upset, you won't notice it.

-:Undertaker:-
28-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Portugal tried this a few years back and it utterly failed, as did the United Kingdom (ourselves).

But that won't stop our politicians!

inb4undertakermakessomementionoftheEU

You may laugh, but as Peter Hitchens states in his Spectator article and in the video you posted, Brussels will be rubbing its hands with glee at this news. Brussels of course is obsessed with the idea of everything being the identical, as with our license plates/passports... the list is endless.

A single timezone for the superstate is no doubt an item on their agenda and how glad they will be that we are abiding by their wishes, not based on reason but on the back of a very strange campaign that has arisen over this of whose motives I question.

dbgtz
28-10-2011, 08:57 PM
If it saves energy and helps the environment I'm all for it.

Don't see why people are getting so upset, you won't notice it.

The fact that it wouldn't actually do anything as time is created by man.

Hecktix
28-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Aren't times set to when the sun actually rises and sets in that particular country? We're only an hour behind europe which isn't massive as it is, I can't see why they would want to be in line.. surely we should continue with what we have as it's natural... being dark at 10am would be ridiculous (even if it is only small parts of scotland)

GommeInc
28-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Aren't times set to when the sun actually rises and sets in that particular country? We're only an hour behind europe which isn't massive as it is, I can't see why they would want to be in line.. surely we should continue with what we have as it's natural... being dark at 10am would be ridiculous (even if it is only small parts of scotland)
It would actually be bad for the UK during the Summer or Winter (can't remember which). During one time of the year the sunlight on the earth creates a shadow that curves in such a way that we're more in line with Portugal than we are with the rest of Europe. When Spain and central France are in darkness, we are in the light. I'll see if I can find this satellite photo.

It'll make no difference. We'll still be lazy and environmentally there's no solid evidence, as is the case for safety concerns. Most accidents happen during the day, not when walking to school :P

Jordan
28-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Photo:

http://startswithabang.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/earth_from_space.jpg

This was also discussed on the forum in February when the idea first came about: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=688700

GommeInc
28-10-2011, 11:03 PM
*snip*

This was also discussed on the forum in February when the idea first came about: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=688700
Interesting, didn't realise the sun is over Spain as well. More reason to keep it as it is I guess, although at the opposite time of the year it's near enough a vertical drop.

I also have a vague memory I used that image :P

EDIT: No wait, was a rant provided by the BBC. In the Summer we're fine, but in the Winter we get darkness at odd times - though it doesn't seem as odd as it could be :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!