PDA

View Full Version : Rename spam forum?

Chippiewill
29-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I've been posting in the spam forum on a semi-regular basis for the past year or so and my perception of the forum as being pointless changed very fast. I put forth that the name of spam is currently misleading to it's actual use. I would in fact debate that many threads in spam are more relevant, and more thoughtful than many in the rest of the forum *cough*post your threads*cough*, and that they are only thought of as lesser due to the personal nature of the threads.

I feel there are a few good reasons to alter the spam forum's name:

A) It would respect that the forum is not pointless, but has a purpose
B) It would leave newer members with a greater sense of the nature of the forum and would encourage them to engage more in that forum, which is great, because due to the personal nature of the forum it gets people into the community MUCH faster and makes them feel more welcome. (It also has the added bonus of new members not thinking that "bdgfndfnsada" is acceptable topic for the forum as does occur time to time)

Naturally it might be a terrible idea, and there will probably be some silly nostalgia people thinking it should stay the same but I think it would be a good change.

Obviously it would have to be changed to something else so I constructed a short list:

- The Lounge
- Chill
- Lobby
- Chit-chat
- Smiddy's Shack

I'm sure some people have much better ideas.

Thoughts?

The Don
29-10-2011, 10:52 PM
I would agree with you, but recently there has been a drop in the quality of the posts in the spam forum, and most of the posts in there recently are spam. Plus we also have the discuss anything area for those sort of threads.

Eoin247
29-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Personally i don't see the impact between the difference of spam and (for example) chit chat. However that's just me and maybe it makes a difference to others.

Red
29-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Chat threads are not the only type of threads that go in that section.
General junk, habbo spam (despite some people's best efforts to stop this) all go in there and I can't see them fitting under any of those names. But anyway a name is just a name so as long as those types of threads can still be posted there then whatever.

wixard
29-10-2011, 11:03 PM
i like the way it's called spam

Inseriousity.
29-10-2011, 11:17 PM
The spam forum can be a lounge, a place to chill and general chit chat regardless of what it's called, which is why I tend to disagree with those who believe the help desk should be named a lounge too. :)

Kyle
29-10-2011, 11:46 PM
"Spam" is fine. The description needs to be changed, not the name.

Zeptis
30-10-2011, 12:31 AM
"Spam" is fine. The description needs to be changed, not the name.

I agree with this, it encourages people so post things like "ghbscnfuidfcuibdifbcdh" or "I like cheese noodles in my pants kinda threads, and I think that is stupid.

I do think the name can be slightly altered to something like "Spam Lounge" with a description such as "This is a place to post threads that just don't fit anywhere else" now that seems a lot nicer and more inviting for chit chat

Sonex
30-10-2011, 03:20 AM
I was just thinking

HOGWARTS

---------- Post added 30-10-2011 at 03:21 AM ----------

SONEXS FORUM

Catzsy
30-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I've been posting in the spam forum on a semi-regular basis for the past year or so and my perception of the forum as being pointless changed very fast. I put forth that the name of spam is currently misleading to it's actual use. I would in fact debate that many threads in spam are more relevant, and more thoughtful than many in the rest of the forum *cough*post your threads*cough*, and that they are only thought of as lesser due to the personal nature of the threads.

B) It would leave newer members with a greater sense of the nature of the forum and would encourage them to engage more in that forum, which is great, because due to the personal nature of the forum it gets people into the community MUCH faster and makes them feel more welcome. (It also has the added bonus of new members not thinking that "bdgfndfnsada" is acceptable topic for the forum as does occur time to time)

Naturally it might be a terrible idea, and there will probably be some silly nostalgia people thinking it should stay the same but I think it would be a good change.

Obviously it would have to be changed to something else so I constructed a short list:

- The Lounge
- Chill
- Lobby
- Chit-chat
- Smiddy's Shack

Thoughts?

The part in bold is not actually allowed in spam if it constitutes a thread. Spam evolves it's own way and always has done. Putting a new label on it would give kudos to some of the quality threads in there but it would also seem to be a barrier on the clearly fun nonsense ones that can be just as valuable to the forum
as place to just have a laugh which would be a shame imo.

Sharon
30-10-2011, 10:25 AM
like it how it is now.

sophiethenerd
30-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I think it is good how it is. It is tradition imo.

AgnesIO
30-10-2011, 01:03 PM

- The Lounge
- Chill
- Lobby
- Chit-chat
- Smiddy's Shack

Thoughts?

Fixed.

---

Firstly, I cannot stand the tradition argument that someone brought up. If you agree with the tradition argument, perhaps women shouldn't have equal right to the throne in the Royal Family, perhaps women should still be 'second class citizens' - after all, we wouldn't want to break tradition!!11!!!!11!!

But anyway, I don't really mind if it has a name change or not, I don't think there are enough problems to constitute a name change. Although, the description does need changing "The Posting of Habbo screenshots is a bannable offence. Don't do it"

I am only joking.

Stephen
30-10-2011, 02:28 PM
ARE U MAD?

Never post in spam again u have been banished from the kingdom

Edited by Jordan (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not pointless post

beth
30-10-2011, 03:12 PM
trying to solve a problem that isn't there.

AgnesIO
30-10-2011, 03:15 PM
trying to solve a problem that isn't there.

I have always been one for shooting down people who try to help too, don't worry.

I can see his reasoning behind the suggestion, however as I have already said, I do not think the problem is big enough to worry about for now.

RyRy
30-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Why change something so trivial.

Rename it if you want, but everyone who posts in there is gonna call it spam anyway so you're pretty much wastin ya time.

Catzsy
30-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Why change something so trivial.

Rename it if you want, but everyone who posts in there is gonna call it spam anyway so you're pretty much wastin ya time.

QFT. Succinct but probably sums up the situation perfectly.

Rozi
30-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I actually like this idea

maybe not the whole change the name thing
but obviously spam is a bit **** at the moment, and it does reflect the quality and activity of the rest of the forum. I know that when spam is active and widely populated I'm much more likely to post in the rest of the forum.

and although I disagree with the whole "spam is an elitist forum" (which is completely untrue nowadays), people do seem to either be scared to post there, or just simply don't know about it if they only look in the habbo section of the forum.

maybe a re-marketing of the forum with some sort of posting comp would work

Catzsy
30-10-2011, 06:50 PM

but obviously spam is a bit **** at the moment, and it does reflect the quality and activity of the rest of the forum. I know that when spam is active and widely populated I'm much more likely to post in the rest of the forum.

and although I disagree with the whole "spam is an elitist forum" (which is completely untrue nowadays), people do seem to either be scared to post there, or just simply don't know about it if they only look in the habbo section of the forum.

I could do a competition there maybe?

AgnesIO
30-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Er we don't want to re- anything to me fank u's very much xoxo

As long as the competition is not to post the most - or I would refuse to post in it :L

RyRy
30-10-2011, 07:07 PM
A competition is a bad idea in my opinion. What I think would be a good idea is having weekly "Spam socials" (do not ever call it that it's terrible) with games like iSketch, OMGPOP, multiplayer online games that are easily accessible etc yknow something that users can also do but there's no real reward in it other than just a bit of a laugh. Theres the argument that users would post less by doing so, but it's a place where post counts are disabled and the community just ain't really there compared to what it used to be.

Doesn't have to be locked out to that one forum either, they'd just turn up and have a laugh. Doesn't need to be moderated either if it's on a different game, so nothing off Habbox's back.

Rozi
30-10-2011, 07:12 PM
ooo I like the idea of games rather than competitions

maybe have a leaderboard as well to make it that bit more competitive

also just thought of something - what are the staff forums like? do people post in the spam threads there a lot? from my limited experience people did tend to post in the hxhd one so maybe encouraging staff to post more in the actual spam thread to reduce the divide between the habbo/habbox and non-habbo sides of the forum.

Stephen
30-10-2011, 07:13 PM
SPAM ISKETCH GAMES WERE FUN

*draws penis*

RyRy
30-10-2011, 07:13 PM
NO LEADERBOARDS NO NOTHING JUST MAKE IT CASUAL OMG.

you lot complicate ideas so much ive had the most fun on hxf from just random events not organized by habbox or anything, its how i got to know a lot of the spam lot best innit. And I think they got rid of the spam thread in staff forum, havent been in there for a while LOL.

Rozi
30-10-2011, 07:20 PM
eugh but I'm too competitive for casual fun

RyRy
30-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I've heard you're well up for a casual bit of fun.

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Please stay on topic. Thanks :)

xxMATTGxx
30-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't think a name change is needed to be honest, spam is spam at the end of the day. Seems most of the people in the thread agree with that a name change isn't the way to go. In terms of Ryan's suggestion about having these "game nights" on stuff like omgpop, iSketch and transformice or whatever they are called sounds good. Wouldn't they be best for the members who post regular in that forum to organise it? Or would you like say one of us to the post the threads and join in also.

sophiethenerd
31-10-2011, 07:34 AM
I did a ballono thing last night. It went pretty well,not many people came but those who did had fun :D

Rozi
31-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think a name change is needed to be honest, spam is spam at the end of the day. Seems most of the people in the thread agree with that a name change isn't the way to go. In terms of Ryan's suggestion about having these "game nights" on stuff like omgpop, iSketch and transformice or whatever they are called sounds good. Wouldn't they be best for the members who post regular in that forum to organise it? Or would you like say one of us to the post the threads and join in also.

I think wider forum participation is pretty essential otherwise it's just people who already know each other playing together, and there's no focus on improvement. If a member of staff could organise it pretty casually or if someone is willing to take up the post then I think that'd be good. Maybe just once a week on a sunday night would be good?

AgnesIO
31-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd take it up if wanted.

My application:

I haz dun an xmas and new year lottery, and will dos anutha this year as I iz an events dde init

Vinnie:Safety
31-10-2011, 02:08 PM
The Lounge would be more appropiate.

tylermunjkt
31-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Games in the spam forum would make it more popular...

Stephen
31-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I'd take it up if wanted.

My application:

I haz dun an xmas and new year lottery, and will dos anutha this year as I iz an events dde init

no lets have someone cool do it

Nemo
31-10-2011, 03:55 PM
i fink we should play the horse typing race thing. I'd **** you all up at that. I'm willing to bet.

also yeh management should set it up

who cares if the spam forum gets a name change anyway, it'd still be the same thing

AgnesIO
31-10-2011, 04:35 PM
no lets have someone cool do it

I would do whatever the members wanted, but seriously w/e - would probably say to do one of those pictures where members have to add something - like the boat thing lol

Although that doesn't really help interaction.

Sharon
31-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I want to do it :(

Mr-Trainor
31-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree that the description needs changing, but I think the name could be left as it is :). Well, depends what the new name would be :P.

Nemo
31-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I want to do it :(Can't have a 12 yr old running these kind of things soz

Sharon
31-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Can't have a 12 yr old running these kind of things soz

13 now you absolute **** I take back every nice word I said about you in my thread.

Cwmbran
05-11-2011, 04:10 AM
I know im kinda grave digging here but i couldnt help but want to post in this thread.
i like the idea of making it less spam orientated but changing the name isnt the way to go, the description needs to be changed imo.

NO LEADERBOARDS NO NOTHING JUST MAKE IT CASUAL OMG.

as for the game evenings youve gota have leaderboards otherwise people would just get bored of it i reckon everyone loves a bit of competition.

also while we are on the topic of games night why not have like a competition to be based on these game nights where different sections compete against each other. For example
Spam vs Games
Spam vs Habbo
Spam vs Graphics
Spam vs Technology... sport etc you get the drift oh and staff gota have a staff team then the overall winning players from the section get vip or what ever for a month or a special badge saying i rule.

GommeInc
06-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Rename it Discuss Anything. It's so perfect that I'm amazed it doesn't use this name :D

Stephen
06-11-2011, 01:22 AM
I know im kinda grave digging here but i couldnt help but want to post in this thread.
i like the idea of making it less spam orientated but changing the name isnt the way to go, the description needs to be changed imo.

as for the game evenings youve gota have leaderboards otherwise people would just get bored of it i reckon everyone loves a bit of competition.

also while we are on the topic of games night why not have like a competition to be based on these game nights where different sections compete against each other. For example
Spam vs Games
Spam vs Habbo
Spam vs Graphics
Spam vs Technology... sport etc you get the drift oh and staff gota have a staff team then the overall winning players from the section get vip or what ever for a month or a special badge saying i rule.

inb4 spam isnt an elite group thingy

Sharon
06-11-2011, 12:04 PM

hahahahaha true that. nathan i like the idea but it wasn't that long ago there was a revolution against spam to symbolise how spam isn't an *elite* forum (anymore)

Rozi
06-11-2011, 12:07 PM
hahahahaha true that. nathan i like the idea but it wasn't that long ago there was a revolution against spam to symbolise how spam isn't an *elite* forum (anymore)

lol what..........

Hopeless
06-11-2011, 01:38 PM
stupid thread is stupid. spam is spam.

Cwmbran
06-11-2011, 04:49 PM

surely in the eyes of the many it is. It's gotta be the most active sub-forum on here.

Red
06-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Spam vs Games
Spam vs Habbo
Spam vs Graphics

I found it so weird coming to habbox and seeing a bunch of cliques and that people stick to certain sections rather than one united community. I would prefer to see a comp thats gonna integrate spam with the rest of the forum and get people posting there who don't normally rather than fashioning the spam forum as different.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!