PDA

View Full Version : Samsung overtakes Apple in smartphone shipments

Chippiewill
30-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Samsung overtook Apple to become the world's biggest shipper of smartphones between July and September.

Research from Strategy Analytics showed that Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones in the three-month period, compared with 17.1 million from Apple and 16.8 million from Nokia.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15489523

Samsung - 23.8%
Apple - 14.6%
Nokia - 14.4%
Others - 47.3%

Probably caused by the delayed iPhone launch (Contracts ending in June/July waiting for next iPhone), but still very interesting that Samsung is capable of this. I wonder if this includes the Nexus S sales..

GommeInc
30-10-2011, 02:49 PM
That's quite a large gap. Interesting to see Nokia still up there, I assume that's there Asian market still holding strong? :P

When the Galaxy Nexus is out for sale they will no doubt experience yet another increase in shipments. Good on them, they deserve it.

Sharon
30-10-2011, 05:49 PM
pleased to see this actually haha so much for apple taking over the world

Metric1
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
what... people actually use samsung phones?

xxMATTGxx
02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm guessing you have never seen or used the Samsung Android-based phones then have you? Because that comment is rather silly.

Recursion
02-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Made me LOL irl...

Edited by Jordan (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not pointless post

Metric1
03-11-2011, 05:25 AM
I've seen people with like old samsung flip phones.. I've never seen/known anyone with a samsung/android phone.. they are NOT popular over here. It's iphone/blackberry

Casio
03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
In England I would say Blackberry is going downhill, Samsung HTC and Apple dominate the market.

Chippiewill
03-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Samsung is most of the Android userbase, with HTC second. They make the Nexus S, the galaxy phones, they've made most of the high-end Android phones which all android enthusiasts use.

GommeInc
03-11-2011, 11:28 PM
In England I would say Blackberry is going downhill, Samsung HTC and Apple dominate the market.
Agreed, ever since the Blackberry services died in the UK they've had a very bad press. I think they're getting sued by it, though that's probably just all bark and no bite. Once the contracts are up, Blackberry phones will fall. Give it a few months the real damage will begin to show. Samsung, Apple and HTC/Sony definitely dominate the markets - I say HTC/Sony as, from what I see here at least, HTC has dropped down in popularity in favour of Sony Ericsson and the Xperia range, but that's just me.

:odey:
04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I own a Samsung Galaxy S 2 and it's the best phone I've ever had...

Actually so pleased they're getting the response that they deserve.. Haha ;)

I think the iPhones are getting left behind a tiny bit in terms of technology, not allowing flash could be a big downfall...

Chippiewill
04-11-2011, 07:19 AM
The iPhone is dropping back because they're failing to iterate and innovate at the pace google, samsung and HTC are progressing at.

Casio
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Agreed, ever since the Blackberry services died in the UK they've had a very bad press. I think they're getting sued by it, though that's probably just all bark and no bite. Once the contracts are up, Blackberry phones will fall. Give it a few months the real damage will begin to show. Samsung, Apple and HTC/Sony definitely dominate the markets - I say HTC/Sony as, from what I see here at least, HTC has dropped down in popularity in favour of Sony Ericsson and the Xperia range, but that's just me.

This is true with the Experia range, I personally now own a HTC Desire S, I did own the Sony Ericsson Play, Experia and Experia Arc, I don't like Sonys twist they have done with Android.

HotelUser
04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
The iPhone is dropping back because they're failing to iterate and innovate at the pace google, samsung and HTC are progressing at.

Or just because there's more competition now

Chippiewill
04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
There was competition before, but Apple was iterating super fast back when the iPhone initially came out, now Apple are taking a casual stance.

GommeInc
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
This is true with the Experia range, I personally now own a HTC Desire S, I did own the Sony Ericsson Play, Experia and Experia Arc, I don't like Sonys twist they have done with Android.
I've gone off them too. After my contract is up in March/April I'll be getting a Samsung - either the Nexus or a specific Galaxy. Sony closed down the Xperia Blog for ridiculous reasons so I've gone right off them, the only thing Sony have going for them is the camera on the Xperia range, which can be found on other devices but they perfect it for their phones specifically.

HotelUser
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
There was competition before, but Apple was iterating super fast back when the iPhone initially came out, now Apple are taking a casual stance.

There was competition before when the iPhone came out yes but it changed the market so much (with things such as multitouch, huge screen, no stylus, applications, actual web browser which was usable, not a UI which makes folks want to run away). So Apple changed the game immensely then. Google introduced game changes with Android, just not as big ones as that first iPhone did to the industry. A few years ago it was a no-brainer to buy an iPhone over Windows Mobile, PalmOS and (still today) BBOS phones. In today's market Android is vastly more competitive than BBOS, Windows Mobile or Palm OS ever were.

Recursion
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
There was competition before when the iPhone came out yes but it changed the market so much (with things such as multitouch, huge screen, no stylus, applications, actual web browser which was usable, not a UI which makes folks want to run away). So Apple changed the game immensely then. Google introduced game changes with Android, just not as big ones as that first iPhone did to the industry. A few years ago it was a no-brainer to buy an iPhone over Windows Mobile, PalmOS and (still today) BBOS phones. In today's market Android is vastly more competitive than BBOS, Windows Mobile or Palm OS ever were.

Windows Mobile wasn't targeted towards phones so much as it was PDAs back then though, so it's an unfair comparison there, same goes for PalmOS.

HotelUser
04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Windows Mobile wasn't targeted towards phones so much as it was PDAs back then though, so it's an unfair comparison there, same goes for PalmOS.

I think you're mistaken perhaps. Microsoft had a huge smartphone marketshare up to when the iPhone was released and they forgot to compete with Apple for a few years there on the mobile front:

http://www.pmn.co.uk/mex/osmarketshare.JPG

Windows Mobile was very much so targeted towards phones. HTC used to sell (only I think) Windows Mobile phones. To name a few of my favourites, HTC Touch Pro and Pro2, Touch 3G, Touch HD, Max 4G, HTC Snap, Touch2, Tilt2. Then you've got your Samsung Omnia which was a very largely advertised Windows Mobile handset especially targeted towards competing with the first iPhones or so. You can't forget the Palm Treo too, a WinMo 5 device, and it's Motorola Q counterpart.

Just did a quick Google search and I see they've also done a lot of business in Europe with Windows Mobile on phones: http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/10/06/microsoft-announces-huge-list-of-windows-mobile-6-5-phones-htc-hd2-included/ Ever since 2003 they've created smartphone variants of their mobile platform.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Pocket PC 2002? That was the first ever release intended for Smartphones, so back then it wasn't big onto the smartphone scene, but when the original iPhone was released Microsoft had a nice chunk of the smartphone market.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!