:.justben.:
30-10-2011, 11:40 AM
well title says it all so is there!?!?

Imosae
30-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Sure, iTunes.

Chippiewill
30-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, Royalty Free Music, free to use and listen too.

:.justben.:
30-10-2011, 11:59 AM
asin to download legally and its free and imosae itunes costs

AgnesIO
30-10-2011, 12:04 PM
asin to download legally and its free and imosae itunes costs

Music can be free, but not what you are thinking of.

If music was free, no one would make any money if they gave their music for free. So on that basis, if there are no royalties etc then yeah it can be free legally

Jordan
30-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Depends if the song is meant to be free. Generally you have to buy a track.

Eoin247
30-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I think he's talking about legal versions of downloading free mainstream music.

AgnesIO
30-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I think he's talking about legal versions of downloading free mainstream music.

That is why I said "but not what you are thinking of"

I think the answer to this is obvious, otherwise why on earth would anyone pay for it? If you could legally get a 50in TV (top spec etc) why would anyone pay :S

Judas
30-10-2011, 02:11 PM
That is why I said "but not what you are thinking of"

I think the answer to this is obvious, otherwise why on earth would anyone pay for it? If you could legally get a 50in TV (top spec etc) why would anyone pay :S

Exactly lol.

I think people fail to realise that for the artists you listen to, making music is their occupation. If no one bought it, or tickets to their gigs, they would be unemployed and have no income.

It's also generally not cheap to release and record an album so mainstream artists are not going to give it away for free.

Except for that one time Radiohead gave away their album

Plebings
30-10-2011, 03:19 PM
bandcamp lets artists release whatever they want, at whatever price. So you can find some free stuff there, more likely to be some obscure bands, but you can still find some free stuff on there.

Andeeh
01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Up and coming artists usually realease there earlier stuff for free on mixtapes and things. Yes you can get free and legal music there is usually promotions that enable you to optain a free mp3 download or something.

Maatt.
01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
musictonic - not downloadable but free to listen to

(:

otherwise - nope

triston220
01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm actually quite shocked that no-one here has mentioned Spotify (http://www.spotify.com).

AgnesIO
01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm actually quite shocked that no-one here has mentioned Spotify (http://www.spotify.com).

I think he means downloadable..

Otherwise there are TONS of services

Neversoft
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Last.fm have a decent selection of freely downloadable tracks and a lot of music in the public domain is free and legal to 'obtain'.

peteyt
04-11-2011, 04:16 AM
There are lots of legal programs for downloading music, but it depends on the actual music itself.

For example it took years for LimeWire to actually close down because it was actually legal. A fork of LimeWire titled FrostWire is still on the go. The important thing is what you use it for - you can download music that artists have put on themselves legally for free. I know FrostWire helps small independent artists release their stuff and I often get hold of some of it. However users often upload stuff they have bought which is illegal. So is another user downloading that as they are getting it for free instead of paying.

Like someone said its their job. I work in a supermarket and I wouldn't be happy if someone stole from it. Imagine if a supermarket lost money due to loads of people stealing and so had to cut wages, hours or something to make up for it, in other words the people whose daily job it is ending up suffering.

I know people also say that bands make most of their money from touring and merchandise. While this is true, and the record labels often take a lot of money from actual music sales, if no one bought their music and everyone just illegally downloaded it, then the band might think no one liked it and could possibly split. It's why I also hate people who say downloading films is bad but downloading TV shows are okay - yeah they may get revenue from advertising and other forms of revenue, but if no one actually watches it live, the figures will drop and lead to a cancellation.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!