PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Casanova
06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
The Nexus is of course a 'flagship' device.

If you're unaware - it means the device on which a software/product innovation is first previewed on and will also debut the best offerings of said software of tech.

The Nexus is the world's first 'Ice Cream Sandwich' droid - Google Android 4.0 mobile software.

The nexus (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus-4219.php) is a fantastic device by the looks of it, will be 7mm thin in places, fantastic dual-core processor and good samsung reliability.

Will any of you be getting one of these badboy's on their NOV. 17Th release?

myke
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm not that keen on it, the shape puts me off.

I recently got a SGS2 anyway so no need for me to upgrade, from what I've read over on XDA, the SGS2 will be able to give the SGN a good run for it's money.

I don't know if this NFC stuff is going to be a take off or a flop.. hm.

I've not read much about ice cream sandwich tbh, is it meant to be good?

Casanova
06-11-2011, 01:07 PM
HMM NFC has been around for nearly two years, the issue we had initially was of course safety.
It's good for contactless payment, promotions and general speediness when you need it. A lot of current phones have it like the Bold 9900, two out of three nexus' but not a lot of people are bothering with it which does annoy me slightly.

I think if o2 done enough with it with their o2 money then it will take off.

Ice cream sandwich is good, nothing new though. It's more intergrated with the folder system, seamless browsing, no-button display (on newer devices!), stacked apps and better task management. The issue would be that it's not brought anything new to the table. I'm excited for it on my sensation XE either way, I don't think it'll be too good on anything less than a dual core by the sounds of it. Plus a good gfx chip/capabilities otherwise it'll be clinky and clunky!

myke
06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I've never seen anyone use NFC lol, I don't think I'd be using it though, it's a bit like, non-secure like you said, guaranteed there'd be a few exploits before it's safe.

& Oh, hopefully there's some more to Ice Cream Sandwich, although I'm happy with Gingerbread atm, most reliable phone I've had :o

hamheyelliot
06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not keen on the way all the Google handsets are a bit too 'vanilla'. It just seems like too much of a hardcore Android fan/developer's wet dream, I like the way Samsung (by which I mean just samsung, Galaxy S2 style) and HTC actually gear the devices towards a more casual audience with stuff like HTC Sense and the widgets they come out with.

I'm sat here with my rubbish old Wildfire at 2.2 and feeling a bit stranded when I look at all this powerhouse of a phone, running a version that looks almost completely different.

It's a perfectly amazing phone and I wouldn't exactly turn one down given the chance, but I'm looking at this dull looking new-ish UI and the phone's body and feeling a bit miserable.

Casanova
06-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I get what you mean - samsung seem to have a more blander UI whereas I like sense 3.0, silly stuff like 3D effects on widgets, smooth gliding when changing screens etc.

even against the SII, 3.0 beats it hands down - a blind person could tell that :P.
Samsung do the power, htc do the user experience. I'd love more RAM :'(.

I do think the nexus could have been better though?
a simple metal housing like they do with Bada flagships (ie the Wave, Wave II), better UI, larger dual core. In all fairness though the screen will be the best seen, ten times better than retina display imho.

N!ck
06-11-2011, 01:41 PM
It does look like it's going to be awesome. Only had my Galaxy S2 about 3-4 months though otherwise I'd probably get it.

Chippiewill
06-11-2011, 01:56 PM
I'll be getting this, might wait till after Christmas so the cost drops a bit though.

Casanova
06-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I'll be getting this, might wait till after Christmas so the cost drops a bit though.

it won't drop sim-free. might get a tad cheaper (by most, a fiver) on contract but that's it.

Chippiewill
06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
A 5x18 = £90 saving on an eighteen month contract for waiting a month or two. Absolutely worth it.

Casanova
06-11-2011, 02:38 PM
hmm but if my thinking is right it's a retail exclusive to... someone and i know they won't make it any 'cheaper' ;).
chances are once they've not sold many (which will happen) they'll drop it in spring.

Chippiewill
06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
The Galaxy Nexus is google branded and is not for any specific network as it is meant to be the "standard" for the next year of android phones.

Casanova
06-11-2011, 03:19 PM
it should be exclusive to Phones 4u. Carphone won't have it.

Recursion
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Skipped the Nexus One and just got a Samsung Galaxy S2. After seeing the kind of support my friend received from Google on his old Nexus One I don't particularly feel like relying on Google.

It's pretty much the same anyway bar the NFC and Barometer.

£60 to upgrade to a Galaxy S2 and I'll get £100 for my old phone when I sell it, not a bad deal, just cant wait for it to be delivered on Tuesday :D

GommeInc
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Definitely considering getting one in April if nothing else crops up, for when the contract is over on my phone.

Casanova
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Personally as much as I like it (and I know i've said this :() I'd rather my phone for the fact my phone has a 1.5Ghz dual core, beats audio and sense UI.

I'd go for it if the processor was a tad more speedy and it had a metal unibody such as the wave.

HotelUser
11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Absolutely beautiful screen. Very good specifications and I'm sure Android works lovely on this device. A good competitor to the iPhone 4s, now all I'd like to see is shorter North American contracts and cheaper starting prices for these two guys.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!