PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting to another website and keeping the URL the same in the address bar?

Rashelly
07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I know how to redirect a page to another page, but I'm wondering if it's possible to keep the URL of the original URL in the address bar?
Example:
I have a domain name and hosting www.examplehost.com and want to redirect to say... www.example.freehostingcompany.com. I'd like to put a redirect in at www.examplehost.com so it automatically goes to www.example.freehostingcompany.com but keeps www.examplehost.com in the address bar.
Is that possible with javascript/html/whatever? If so could some clever little sausage let me know the code? :D

thanks in advance

Vinnie:Safety
07-11-2011, 03:00 PM
dot.tk
signup, join, get a link

Blinger
07-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Use iframes? Create one as big as the page and store the new page in there? (Really bad idea IMO)

Rashelly
07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
dot.tk
signup, join, get a link
dot.tk is so 2003, maaaan! (jk :p)
I have my own .com domain (and hosting) but at the moment I don't really have the time or patience to make a good website so I'm using wix because I really like their flash sites.

Use iframes? Create one as big as the page and store the new page in there? (Really bad idea IMO)
I had considered that, but I'd prefer to just keep the url in the address bar! I did it once with another website I made a few years ago, I just can't remember if I did it or if it was done by the people I bought the host from!

Thanks for the suggestions though +rep

scottish
07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
set dns of the example.com domain to example.whateverhost.com's name server ?

Rashelly
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
set dns of the example.com domain to example.whateverhost.com's name server ?

Apparently you can only do that if you upgrade to Wixs premium service. Since I already have hosting for a year and a domain, I was hoping not to do that :(

I guess I'll just leave it as it is. Its not majorly important, I just don't like the Wix url or www.wix.com/username/websitename! Seems a bit longwinded to me.

I certainly don't really want to use frames, I was hoping there'd be another way. Perhaps I'll just give up the flashy and shiny Wix easy-as-pie website and make my own, much crappier one! ...eventually :p

Thanks anyway

hamheyelliot
07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
If the place you bought the domain from has an option for Domain Masking, you can get around it that way. It's a little bit uncommon these days but check if there's an option anywhere in your control panel.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!