PDA

View Full Version : New Internet Connection - Help! [+11REP]

Ardemax
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi, it would appear I've made numerous "Internet connection" threads, but hey hoh...

I've got a new fibre optic connection (Virgin Media) and it's got like 25MBPS download, so it's pretty good.

Basically I can connect it up to my xbox no problem and it works without lag.

However, when someone uses a computer or laptop in another room and uses the internet, the connection lags like hell and is really quite annoying.

Is there anyway to make this stop or just reduce it?

Is there like a way to make xbox have priority from the router or something?

All helpful answers = +REP!:D

Thanks guys

Thread moved by Oleh (Forum Moderator): From Microsoft, as I feel it's more suited here.

Oleh
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
You could potentially install net limiter on everybody's laptop/pc and limit there speed?

Recursion
12-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Check for QoS on your router.

Stephen!
12-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I assume the OP is on the 30MB package, therefore they will have the superhub. The hub contains no such option.

Ardemax
12-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah there's no option on the super hub :/

barttsimpson
14-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Have you tested it on speedtest.net? if not, I doubt you're getting 25mb even if you're paying for it. I pay for 20mb but only get 5 (due to where I live) this seems like the most likely cause as to why you'd be lagging.

If your line is showing around the 25 mark, then I'd suggest giving them a call! :)

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Have you tested it on speedtest.net? if not, I doubt you're getting 25mb even if you're paying for it. I pay for 20mb but only get 5 (due to where I live) this seems like the most likely cause as to why you'd be lagging.

If your line is showing around the 25 mark, then I'd suggest giving them a call! :)

Virgin Media cable internet works different so you should get near enough the speed they advertise most of the time.

----

You could ask on the Virgin Media forums and see if anyone on there has any suggestions.

Nemo
14-11-2011, 11:56 PM
What are the people on the other laptops doing? Torrenting/downloading **** probably won't help.

caitphobia
15-11-2011, 02:00 AM
You could probably download a program to reduce lag, but truth be told, that'll probably just make more lag.

I'd probably disconnect my Xbox while it's not in use and see if that helps.

Recursion
15-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Get a half decent router.

GoldenMerc
15-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Used to do the exact same when i had virgin, prob why my parents moved to BT Infinity. Not sure why it does it

Technologic
15-11-2011, 05:24 PM
The virgin superhub is a poorly designed piece of crap, hence why we switched to BT infinity

xxMATTGxx
15-11-2011, 05:42 PM
If it's the superhub all together I guess it could work better if you put it into modem mode and then use your own router with it? Not that I've had any problems with it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!