PDA

View Full Version : LastPass

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2011, 01:07 PM
I was just wondering how many users on here use LastPass or a similar service or if they would trust such a service. Basically it's an online password manager and form filler, so you wouldn't forget any of your passwords for whatever site you use. According to them it's secure and your data is encrypted on your PC and not all stored on their servers, so if they got attacked they wouldn't be able to hack your accounts on the sites you use. (Or so they say :P)

You can find out more at: http://lastpass.com/

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0fzHxMASQ

Anyone use it or what do people think about them?

Recursion
14-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, the data is stored on their servers, the hashes are just stored locally (afaik).

I use it and don't have any problems :P

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Well, the data is stored on their servers, the hashes are just stored locally (afaik).

I use it and don't have any problems :P

That's what I meant :(

Oleh
14-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Well that sounds interesting, I'm gonna have to try it whenI get home.

lawrawrrr
14-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a apssword manager on my laptop (HP simplepass) which works from the fingerprint scanner/my windows password. So pretty secure I think... Might just be me but I'm sceptical about trusting passwords for smoe sites (such as online banking etc) to another online account - what if they got hacked??

Firehorse
14-11-2011, 05:28 PM
If the encryption info is stored locally then what happens if your computer crashes?

Stephen
14-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Does anyone else have trouble with it on chrome?

Stops automatically logging into websites and keeps popping up the save password thing when I've already saved a password or when I tell it never to save for this site :@

Recursion
14-11-2011, 08:12 PM
If the encryption info is stored locally then what happens if your computer crashes?

It's generated when you login using your master password or something.

I've just setup two factor authentication on unrecognised devices, means I have to go get a code from the Google Authenticator app on my phone after putting my pass in (a bit like RSA SecureID codes).

Kyle
14-11-2011, 08:38 PM
seems a bit OTT. I find it easy enough to remember all of my passwords and what they are for.

How many passwords do you guys have?

Recursion
14-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Easily over 20.

Another nice thing about LastPass is, on sign up forms etc it can generate a totally random and extremely complex password and store it, so all your sites have different passwords too.

Stephen
14-11-2011, 09:05 PM
yeah I used to use easy to remember passwords for myself but now all my passwords are

sfdtayujishgtycuikjchgytuaikHGTRYUIKJHGT^&*(UYTR$£$%RTYJKNGFDRE$%^&UI

and stuff

Johno
16-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't get why we use such crazy passwords (admittedly, so do I) - Just reminds me of this xkcd comic (http://xkcd.com/936/)

I use 1Password but might give LastPass a go, sounds good!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!