PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access USB

Mr-Trainor
14-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Okay so I just finished my ICT coursework, saved it, safely removed. Then when I plugged it in to my laptop it said 'You need to format the disk drive F: before you can use it'. The same message pops up when I plug it in to my PC. Ofc, I don't want to format it because I'll lose all the work which I just completed. Is there anything else I can do?

barttsimpson
14-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Not sure if this will fix it, but you can give it a try:

Go to device manager (start>right click computer>manager>device manager) look for your usb device, uninstall it, restart your computer and plug it back in

I hope this works!

Mr-Trainor
14-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Not sure if this will fix it, but you can give it a try:

Go to device manager (start>right click computer>manager>device manager) look for your usb device, uninstall it, restart your computer and plug it back in

I hope this works!
I assume that wouldn't work because the same thing happens on multiple devices (computer & laptop)?

Anyhow, I had backed it up a few hours ago, so I've just redone the 4 pages of work anyway :P. Thanks for your help though :)!

Jack!
15-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I assume that wouldn't work because the same thing happens on multiple devices (computer & laptop)?

Anyhow, I had backed it up a few hours ago, so I've just redone the 4 pages of work anyway :P. Thanks for your help though :)!

Sounds like corrupt memory to me.

triston220
15-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Try follow the steps in this (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-recover-data-from-a-corrupt-memory-card-or-usb-drive/) guide.

I'm actually trying it now on a drive which has caused the same error. It may take some time to complete by-the-way.

Chippiewill
15-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds like you didn't use "Safely remove hardware" and you corrupted the filesystem.

Recursion
16-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Sounds like you didn't use "Safely remove hardware" and you corrupted the filesystem.

People use that? I only use it on external drives with moving parts, heh.

Casio
16-11-2011, 10:21 AM
This happens at college all the time, the techie take the usbs and recover the work and format it.

Mr-Trainor
16-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Try follow the steps in this (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-recover-data-from-a-corrupt-memory-card-or-usb-drive/) guide.

I'm actually trying it now on a drive which has caused the same error. It may take some time to complete by-the-way.
For me, it just says 'CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.' :P.

triston220
17-11-2011, 04:36 PM
For me, it just says 'CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.' :P.

Oh dear. :P Although I don't see why you should be worried, I did this and it didn't work. :P

Mr-Trainor
17-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Lol well I'm just trying to format it now, but it just keeps saying 'Windows was unable to complete the format' :S.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!