PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano Recall

iLogan
17-11-2011, 04:35 PM
There's been a recall for certain iPod Nano's which are at risk of their battery setting on fire!

Check your iPod Nano's serial number online to see if it is affected, I've just entered my old one and it is one of the affected ones and they're going to send me a replacement, woo! :D

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

https://ssl.apple.com/support/ipodnano/images/ipod_nano_1st_gen.jpg

sorrydude$
17-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow, people still have them. Lol

Stephen
17-11-2011, 04:44 PM
mine didnt have time to set on fire, was too busy spinning around in the washing machine

beth
17-11-2011, 04:46 PM
wow first gen?! i thought my nano was old and it's like 3rd gen haha.

Jurv
17-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I've only got the newest iPod Touch which I got for Christmas last year, looks like I'm safe. :D

Jack!
17-11-2011, 06:58 PM
There's been a recall for certain iPod Nano's which are at risk of their battery setting on fire!

Check your iPod Nano's serial number online to see if it is affected, I've just entered my old one and it is one of the affected ones and they're going to send me a replacement, woo! :D

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

https://ssl.apple.com/support/ipodnano/images/ipod_nano_1st_gen.jpg

You only get a refurbished first gen back.

HotelUser
17-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Do people still buy these things :P?

Recursion
18-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Do people still buy these things :P?

Apple are recalling them even out of warranty.

Hour
18-11-2011, 01:08 AM
People still own nanos? Don't they sell for like 10 dollars?

GommeInc
18-11-2011, 04:45 PM
How odd, you'd think, given the age, it wouldn't be a problem. They've done a good job not setting on fire so far... What conditions need to be met to make them spontaneously combust?

Zuth
18-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Requested mine. :)

myke
18-11-2011, 08:36 PM
what do we do with the old one???

Zuth
18-11-2011, 09:09 PM
what do we do with the old one???

By the looks of it, they send you a box to send your old one back, then they send you a replacement iPod, could be the new one?

Jack!
18-11-2011, 10:51 PM
By the looks of it, they send you a box to send your old one back, then they send you a replacement iPod, could be the new one?

They send you the packaging to post it back, you post it, they get it, Either A) change the battery or B) Throw it away.

They then either send it back, Or send you a Refurbished iPod Nano, 1st Gen, You wont be getting a new iPod out of them.

Recursion
18-11-2011, 11:15 PM
They'll more than likely get all the iPod nanos, change the batteries and backs and reship them out, you probably won't get your exact Nano back though.

Mr-Trainor
18-11-2011, 11:25 PM
They'll more than likely get all the iPod nanos, change the batteries and backs and reship them out, you probably won't get your exact Nano back though.Yea, that's what I was thinking they'd do :P.

HotelUser
19-11-2011, 03:54 PM
They'll more than likely get all the iPod nanos, change the batteries and backs and reship them out, you probably won't get your exact Nano back though.

Perhaps owners will get lucky and can expect some other new goodies under the hood (although I think this might just be a little bit too optimistic :P)

xxMATTGxx
19-11-2011, 05:54 PM

You won't as they did say the ones with personalized thingies on the back wouldn't be put on the replacements.

Chippiewill
19-11-2011, 10:43 PM
They'll probably: receive, process, send out replacement, then refurbish the one you sent them.

GommeInc
19-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I guess the point is: Do not send in your Nano unless it's broken or on the verge of dying. The recall seems a bit odd, the Nano can't be that bad if there are no notable problems with it. It has been about 4 years or so since that Nano was released. I'm amazed they're doing this, good on them I guess seeing as it is an ancient device now.

myke
19-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Not sure if I'll send mine off... I always remember when I bought this from Toys 'R' Us, I was like WOWZ 1GB IS HUGE SPACE *+*+ and I was sat in the back of my Dad's car pressing the play button and the menu button thinking they were used as up and down arrows and then was like Dad we have to go back this one's broke... until I read the manual and found out about the thumbwheel LOL :| woopz...

GD MEMORIES!! Dunno if I'll send mine off, it just sits in my drawer

xxMATTGxx
19-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I guess the point is: Do not send in your Nano unless it's broken or on the verge of dying. The recall seems a bit odd, the Nano can't be that bad if there are no notable problems with it. It has been about 4 years or so since that Nano was released. I'm amazed they're doing this, good on them I guess seeing as it is an ancient device now.

Well I'm not sure about it being odd because of the following:

Under pressure from regulators, Apple agreed to provide replacements for affected units in South Korea in 2009 and in Japan in 2010. With today's announcement, it appears that the replacement program is now in effect on a worldwide basis.

GommeInc
20-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Well I'm not sure about it being odd because of the following:
That doesn't really state anything about the recall other than it's worldwide. What are the specific problems? From the reaction to this, it seems to be an unnoticeable issue with the 1st Nano. Afterall, it if was such a noticeable problem, it wouldn't be such a shock and be considered big news as it is now :P

xxMATTGxx
20-11-2011, 12:28 AM
That doesn't really state anything about the recall other than it's worldwide. What are the specific problems? From the reaction to this, it seems to be an unnoticeable issue with the 1st Nano. Afterall, it if was such a noticeable problem, it wouldn't be such a shock and be considered big news as it is now :P

Well it does, they were under pressure and were made to do it in two other countries before hand.

Apple Inc. said it will offer replacements of iPad Nano music players in Japan that overheat, following calls by the government to take measures to prevent the devices from catching fire.

I believe they also did it in South Korea and now obviously it's world wide.

GommeInc
23-11-2011, 12:47 AM
How very odd that it's gone unnoticed for so many years :P Would it actually catch fire? I'd imagine they would just overheat and turn off, similar to what a laptop or computer would do.

iLogan
28-12-2011, 04:19 PM
They've apparently ran out of old iPod Nano's and are now replacing these with the newest ones

Zuth
28-12-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm still waiting for mine back, where is the source of that info, Logan?

Recursion
28-12-2011, 06:27 PM
A lot of people have been getting the newest generation shipped.

Bloody good of Apple really!

Shar
28-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Is this only for 1st gen?
Can't believe that people still have them..I thought my 2nd gen was old :P

iLogan
28-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm still waiting for mine back, where is the source of that info, Logan?

http://gizmodo.com/5870009/apples-recalled-first-gen-ipod-nanos-are-now-being-replaced-with-new-models

Zuth
28-12-2011, 07:14 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5870009/apples-recalled-first-gen-ipod-nanos-are-now-being-replaced-with-new-models

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!