PDA

View Full Version : christmas subforum?

beth
17-11-2011, 05:51 PM
i was just posting a thread on christmas lights and i thought how nice it would be to have a christmas 2011 subforum in discuss anything? i've had a few christmases here at hxf now and we always have a few generic threads, and i think it would be nice if we could have them all in one little forum.

examples of threads we always have:

- what do you want for christmas?
- what did you actually get for christmas?
- what do you have for christmas dinner?
- what gifts are you giving?
- what do you do on christmas day?

and there's loads of random threads that are always around. idk i thought it'd be nice and festive hahaha.

geo
17-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I think this would be a great idea to have a Christmas sub forum. There are quite a few threads that would fall into the Christmas section and I think this would be quite nice. :D

Martin
17-11-2011, 05:57 PM
This would be a fantastic idea! :D I know a lot of forums do this and generally it is nice to have the discussion all in one place. It is something which sparks a lot of discussions off and these can sometimes be lost and hard to find in the main discussion forum so having them altogether would make it more special and really get people in the mood! Great idea bethie! :D +rep

Jurv
17-11-2011, 06:00 PM
It sounds like it would be a really nice addition for the festive season. I'm sure there would be quite a few more Christmas threads if this was introduced. :)

Alex3213
17-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm very supportive of this idea, and then after January 6th or whatever the threads can be moved back into the Discuss Anything section. Why not? There's no harm whatsoever! :D

beth
17-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm very supportive of this idea, and then after January 6th or whatever the threads can be moved back into the Discuss Anything section. Why not? There's no harm whatsoever! :D

or the subforum can disappear for a year (much like the hxss ones) and reappear next festive season.

i dunno, i just remember as a newer user in like 2005 there was a real excitement about christmas on the forum. people discussing their different days and gifts and rituals and stuff. and though the forum is a completely different place now, i think christmas is something that can unite all posters.

Martin
17-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Too right! :D If anything it will encourage posting, keep things festive and perhaps the mod team could do one of their specific forum competition things too but a christmas related one nearer the time? xD

Alex3213
17-11-2011, 06:06 PM
or the subforum can disappear for a year (much like the hxss ones) and reappear next festive season.

i dunno, i just remember as a newer user in like 2005 there was a real excitement about christmas on the forum. people discussing their different days and gifts and rituals and stuff. and though the forum is a completely different place now, i think christmas is something that can unite all posters.

Perhaps, although over the years the same threads may stack up over and over again, and will be noticed unlike other forums due to only coming out to play one month a year- although yes ofc they can just stay there. :)

Red
17-11-2011, 06:10 PM
wonderful idea bethie :-)

xxMATTGxx
17-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I was actually thinking about this the other day and It's nice to see people agreeing with the idea! I do agree it will be nice to have on HxF and would be great to see it implemented for this years Christmas. Hopefully @sct will agree! :P

beth
17-11-2011, 06:11 PM
well i'm glad we're all in agreement, how lovely for once hahaha.

iLogan
17-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Love the idea, think it's a simply fab ideaxx

RyRy
17-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I have a great Christmas story for everyone when this forum is made. You'll be lovin it.

Chris
17-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Its a nice idea, but whats the point? :P There isn't a massive amount of threads posted which relate to Christmas and it makes no sense to create a sub forum in discuss anything specifically for Christmas related threads. It sort of defeats the object of discuss anything imo.

Aaron
17-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Great idea, would love to see it implemented.

Mathew
17-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I seem to remember that we had a Christmas forum a couple of years ago, but it never came back last year! :(

Naturally, I think it's a really good idea. It gets everyone in the festive spirit and it's just a bit of fun. Why not? :D

beth
17-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Its a nice idea, but whats the point? :P There isn't a massive amount of threads posted which relate to Christmas and it makes no sense to create a sub forum in discuss anything specifically for Christmas related threads. It sort of defeats the object of discuss anything imo.

i think yr wrong (sorry chris!) and that we do get a lot of christmas threads over the december month. and it's nice to bring them together. so what if it defeats the point of discuss anything for 30 days? and it wouldn't anyway. people will still post their threads on other topics. just cause there's an christmas subforum there for 3/4 weeks doesn't mean that no-one will ever post anything other than christmas topics.

Chris
17-11-2011, 09:24 PM
i think yr wrong (sorry chris!) and that we do get a lot of christmas threads over the december month. and it's nice to bring them together. so what if it defeats the point of discuss anything for 30 days? and it wouldn't anyway. people will still post their threads on other topics. just cause there's an christmas subforum there for 3/4 weeks doesn't mean that no-one will ever post anything other than christmas topics.

Not enough to justify a new sub forum imo. If there were a lot more threads related the Christmas then I could understand it, but for a period of 3-4 weeks, it just doesn't seem worth it. :P

Or

Maybe I'm just miserable, haha.

xxMATTGxx
17-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Fully agree with you Bethie.

Not enough to justify a new sub forum imo. If there were a lot more threads related the Christmas then I could understand it, but for a period of 3-4 weeks, it just doesn't seem worth it. :P

Or

Maybe I'm just miserable, haha.

I think it's you just being miserable. The sub-forum isn't going to be in the public all year round so it really isn't an issue when Christmas only happens once a year.

Chris
17-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Fully agree with you Bethie.

I think it's you just being miserable. The sub-forum isn't going to be in the public all year round so it really isn't an issue when Christmas only happens once a year.

I wondered how long it would take you, Matt!

This would be like introducing a forum for easter and halloween. Discuss anything is for the discussion of anything which does not fit into any other existing forum. Its a bit silly to create one for something which isn't hugely discussed and for such a short period of time.

xxMATTGxx
17-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I wondered how long it would take you, Matt!

This would be like introducing a forum for easter and halloween. Discuss anything is for the discussion of anything which does not fit into any other existing forum. Its a bit silly to create one for something which isn't hugely discussed and for such a short period of time.

No it's not like that, I fully disagree with you. Christmas is a lot bigger for most people then what Easter or Halloween is. I would agree it would be pointless for sub-forums for those two but Christmas it's a whole different matter.

Chris
17-11-2011, 09:37 PM
No it's not like that, I fully disagree with you. Christmas is a lot bigger for most people then what Easter or Halloween is. I would agree it would be pointless for sub-forums for those two but Christmas it's a whole different matter.

Christmas is bigger, but just because its a bigger event it doesn't mean its something that is going to be hugely discussed on the forum. You only have to look at previous years to see that.

xxMATTGxx
17-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Christmas is bigger, but just because its a bigger event it doesn't mean its something that is going to be hugely discussed on the forum. You only have to look at previous years to see that.

You only have to see previous years that people have talked about Christmas far more than Easter or Halloween and that people have ASKED for the sub-forum in previous years also. It hasn't always came about but it would be great to bring it back for this year.

Mathew
17-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I daresay the addition of a Christmas subforum would increase posting. I have quite a few Christmas threads I'm waiting to post (when 1st Dec rolls around) and I'd be encouraged to do even more if there was a section dedicated to it.

Chris
17-11-2011, 09:41 PM
You only have to see previous years that people have talked about Christmas far more than Easter or Halloween and that people have ASKED for the sub-forum in previous years also. It hasn't always came about but it would be great to bring it back for this year.

Far more yes, but not enough to justify a new forum. Clearly its something the community want though, but in my opinion it is useless when we have the discuss anything forum. :)

xxMATTGxx
17-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Far more yes, but not enough to justify a new forum. Clearly its something the community want though, but in my opinion it is useless when we have the discuss anything forum. :)

Well you can have that opinion but a lot of people seem to want it and also like the idea. :)

scott
17-11-2011, 10:13 PM
It'll be nice to keep Christmas threads in a separate forum rather than having them in the discuss anything forum which will also have other threads in it, it'll be a nice addition for Christmas and we (the forum department) can run some competitions in it! :)

I will get it introduced on a Sunday but don't you think the 21st of November is too early? :(!!!

iLogan
17-11-2011, 10:16 PM
It'll be nice to keep Christmas threads in a separate forum rather than having them in the discuss anything forum which will also have other threads in it, it'll be a nice addition for Christmas and we (the forum department) can run some competitions in it! :)

I will get it introduced on a Sunday but don't you think the 21st of November is too early? :(!!!

Maybe release it when the xmas skin is released?

Phil
17-11-2011, 11:14 PM

I don't think it's too early! I'm sure people are already thinking about what presents they're going to be getting for people and stuff (tbh I just posted one less than five mins ago lol). People can have those sort of threads and I'm sure there are going to be threads for "Your Christmas Traditions", "What will you be doing for Christmas this year?" etc.

Martin
17-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't think its too early at all. It doesn't matter if it starts off slowly and it will build up over the month xD We've already seen quite a few threads posted that would fit into such a subforum and plus the coca-cola advert has been on and people are already in full swing christmas shopping mode :O Tis' scary!!

scott
17-11-2011, 11:21 PM
okay! christmas is approaching fast :(

Martin
17-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Sure is!!! They've already started phasing in the christmas songs on teh radio at work :'( My town is switching on the christmas lights tomorrow night too!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI&ob=av3e

Phil
17-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Not to mention Matt G's avatar :P

Catzsy
18-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Too right! :D If anything it will encourage posting, keep things festive and perhaps the mod team could do one of their specific forum competition things too but a christmas related one nearer the time? xD

Or even the comps department do a Christmas Comp! LOL :P Love the sparkly lights Martin but hate the Wham video. LOL Bethie a great idea which I hope is implemented. Maybe Father Christmas and Rudolph could even visit it. :)x

Mr-Trainor
18-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I think this sounds like a good idea :D, will be nice to have all the Christmas related threads in one place :)!

Or even the comps department do a Christmas Comp! LOL :P Love the sparkly lights Martin but hate the Wham video. LOL Bethie a great idea which I hope is implemented. Maybe Father Christmas and Rudolph could even visit it. :)x
Lol, well I'm sure we (comps department) will be doing some Christmas competitions :P. But the forum department usually has competitions in specific forums :D.

Martin
18-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Maybe Habbox Santa can be whipped out for the young ones and he could like do a competition in that subforum at some stage with a lovely big festive prize and ting.

Woooo Can't wait for this tbh, love talking about Christmas!!!

Chippiewill
18-11-2011, 11:30 PM
My view is that there could be the demand for it, so let's try it, if it proves to be unused/unwanted/pointless then it doesn't have to come back next year.

Catzsy
19-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I think this sounds like a good idea :D, will be nice to have all the Christmas related threads in one place :)!

Lol, well I'm sure we (comps department) will be doing some Christmas competitions :P. But the forum department usually has competitions in specific forums :D.

The word on the street is that one mod has a very special competition in mind but If I tell you I will have to kill you. :P xx

beth
19-11-2011, 09:15 AM
while obviously i'm going to be for it, because i submitted it haha, i really can't see any arguments against it. is it really gonna offend anybody that much for 3/4 weeks?

lTraditional
19-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Christmas is just around the corner and I am with this idea 100%, even after you have already agree'd to add it! Our town already has a HUGE christmas tree up with all the lights and decorations etc on it. I don't think it is to early for the christmas spirit just yet, especially when Arthur Christmas or something is out in cinemas already.

Recursion
21-11-2011, 10:18 AM
+1 Love Christmas. LOL.

Andii
21-11-2011, 11:47 AM
omg beth :O thats like the smartest thing you have ever said :O :O i love it haha. . wonder who will be first to make a thread on Christmas Day saying

What Santa brought :) Post pics

lolol :)

GirlNextDoor15
21-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Hmm. I agree with you finally. It's a brilliant idea and this will be better than posting all christmas-related threads in Discuss Anything section.

The Don
22-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I think this is a good idea and there isn't anything to lose by implementing it, especially considering it'll only be for a short while!

wixard
22-11-2011, 01:21 AM
YES I WANT

we should all watch love actually together also

beth
22-11-2011, 10:05 AM
YES I WANT

we should all watch love actually together also

this is a fantastic idea, habbox cinema *+*+ we can do the grinch, love actually, muppets christmas carol.

GommeInc
23-11-2011, 12:45 AM
I seem to recall a Christmas forum appearing once on here but it could of just been a thread. Seems like a decent idea though :) Is the idea to have a regular forum (underneath Discuss Anything, for example) or a sub-forum?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!