PDA

View Full Version : awkwardness while opening presents?

-ry!
27-11-2011, 01:07 AM
do you ever feel awkward when opening your presents cos ur just like thanks mum and dad and u feel so mean on them because they've spent like all there wages on ur presents

FlyingJesus
27-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Ya I hate taking their money tbh unless I totes need it like for tuition and stuff. Was bad enough asking my dad for some £120 boots let alone all these kids who demand iPads and laptops etc

Recursion
27-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Not particularly... yes if I didn't buy them anything, but seeing as I do it's a give<->take thing.

Thomas
27-11-2011, 07:23 AM
When I was a bit younger it was if i didn't like one of the toys, but now I kinda tell them what I want would like :P

geo
27-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Yeah I can find it pretty awkward opening my presents, but not as awkward as I used to find it, thankfully. :P

wiktoria
27-11-2011, 10:05 AM
no i don't because i buy them presents too so idk why i should feel awkward.

compositeLegend
27-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Well I wouldn't actually know because we don't do the gift giving tradition in my family. However, I don't think I would awkward, but rather try to appreciate the fact that they have actually put out some money to purchase you something.

Mathew
27-11-2011, 11:19 AM
No I don't particularly feel guilty because I buy them something back too. There's nothing that I really want every Christmas so when people ask, I just say "surprise me" or "money". Thankfully, I'm in a position where I just tend to buy something throughout the year if I want it enough. I bought myself an iPad in August and my parents still pay for the majority of my things. If they said they weren't getting me anything at Christmas, I'd be fine with it. If you don't put the pressure on prior to the big day, then there's no need for the guilt afterwards. :)

wixard
27-11-2011, 11:28 AM
no it's awkward when everyone stares at you
on one side of my family theres like a kris kindle, and when it's your turn they make you sit in the middle of everyone
and open your present............

half the time i don't remember who got me (cos we actually tell each other) so to nobody in particular i'm just like
oh wowww thanksss.....

buttons
27-11-2011, 11:45 AM
"no cause i give back" LOL i'm sure they spend a lot more on you than you do them not to mention previous christmas' and everything in between. i don't particularly feel awkward cause i know what i'm getting nor do i feel guilty cause we always discuss what i can and cant have, with other relatives i suppose i do feel weird but not guilty. i feel awkward when people open up the presents i give them infront of me, all my friends seem to do that and i usually give them all the same lol

GirlNextDoor15
27-11-2011, 12:22 PM
1. They've never in their live spent their wages buying presents for me.
2. I don't get presents on my birthdays etc. except for my 'annual pocket money' (I prefer calling that instead of birthday present)
3. I've never ask for stuff like branded clothes. Only books that I want to read :D
4. I've been mean to them and they've been mean to me. So, it's already balanced. We don't owe each other anything.
5. So, I don't feel awkward. Will feel very surprised if they actually bought me presents.

-ry!
27-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Girl next door you do realise they buy you your electricity bill for your laptop, your food, your drinks, your school trips, your way to get to school etc. so yeh just saying.

And i just fee guilty cos its like recesssion and stuff and my mum weren't as rich as she use to be lmao

garriet
27-11-2011, 02:03 PM
yeah i feel really awkward sometimes - and especially when everyone is staring at you waiting inanticipation to see if you like it or not and then you find out its terrible and you have to act real happy that it's definitely what you wanted :L

-ry!
27-11-2011, 02:05 PM
yeh lmao i broke my camera i got on boxing day it was so upsetting :( but i never even got to send it back fml.
and when i was younger i got a rubbish phone and i cried all night litrelly on xmas day LMFAo i was young tho

n my sisters bf came last yr tht was so awkward if he comes again omgosh

Jurv
27-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I never really feel awkward when opening my presents, it would probably be a completely different story if I was an only child and my parents were constantly watching me. I just feel excited most of the time and I love seeing the expressions on peoples faces when they open presents from which I gave to them. :)

Jordan
27-11-2011, 02:53 PM
No I feel fine ;D We always get eachother a stupid present thats really cheap but makes you laugh, and a serious one haha.

Rainbow
27-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I find it sorta awkward they all just look at you smiling when you open the presents and wondering if you like it or not but i just smile and hug them saying thanks;)

Mark
27-11-2011, 08:01 PM
My parents tend to do this thing where everyone opens their presents one at a time everyone taking turns, it's extremely awkward when everyone's watching you and you open something you didn't ask or weren't expecting to get. I find it also awkward that when you get something you really want, it's hard to express how much you really like it etc :L

twinart
03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Sometimes it really awkward.

dirrty
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
lol, no. my parents (or anyone in my family) aren't stupid enough to spend out of their budgets/limits/means. if parents spend so much money on gifts which they actually can't afford then they're just plain stupid. but anyway in recent years i've just got money anyway, but i don't expect a gift anymore rly. not fussed

LoveToStack
03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah all the time. It's that sensation of knowing that mum bought this thing for me with the hope in her mind that I'd open it and my face would light up etc, so if I don't particularly like it then I feel like an ******* for letting her down. Naturally I always pretend to like it either way.

Also the point Garriet made is a good one too. It is really hard to show gratitude when you get something out of the blue which you really like. Especially when you're trying to pretend to like certain to like other gifts too.

Also I feel the need to point out that all this is a perfect example of 'first world problems' but, that said, it's not something which people generally talk about despite being a common feeling apparently. Nice thread.

Narnat,
03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
eugh.. when they whip out the video camera. -.-

ihatehash
03-12-2011, 11:44 PM
No, I'm materialistic.

:odey:
04-12-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure if I find it awkward opening presents from my parents, I mean, in all fairness, most parents do it to make their children happy etc, or they wouldn't do it...

I know that's what my parents are like anyway...

Opening your friends presents infront of your parents though, awkward...

Cameron.
04-12-2011, 01:58 AM
I think it depends really. I feel more awkward about the presents people receive off me because I'm never sure if they'll like them or not. However if it's a one-on-one thing, like me and my boyfriend exchanging gifts, then I do feel a little awkward and I'm not sure why, I just do.

Oleh
04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Not at all, everything I receive I ask for in advance. Everything I receive after that I would have wanted anyway.

Recursion
05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
See, our family doesn't do surprises... we all tell each other what we want LOL

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!