PDA

View Full Version : Applications

dogboy123
30-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey,

Now I think back on it as a manager, going through applicationshad to be one ofthe most tedious, laborious and tiring things. Scrolling through each PM, putting each one to assistant managers and seniors etc etc can take an awfully long time. So I was thinking as David is so good with codingand whatnot, if on the habbox site,when applications were open for a department they could put in the questions they want to ask and people could then fill the questions out.This would then mean managers andassistant managers can easily see applications, and can comment on them and it would stop people setting out applications in a wierd way (eg making it different colours, wording questions wrong etc). Also I think it'd be easier to applyas going through sending a pm, c+p the questions can be quite daunting for a less experienced member.

Martin
30-11-2011, 06:58 PM
All these redundancies going on in the country and you're wanting to make poor Mavis the News Applications bot Jobless?!?! :(

ot: This sounds like a nice idea really Ben. I do think that its sometimes a bit confusing the way people have to PM different people (either the manager or a bot) and the questions are normally pretty much the same (and I'm sure could be edited). The only thing I would be questioning is whether they would be used to the forum/have a forum account etc which could cause issues since that's where the 'hub' generally is for staff to interact and get information about the department they are about to embark upon. I guess something in the application process could be mentioned about owning a forum account and if not setting one up etc.

Otherwise it sounds like a good idea. :D

scottish
30-11-2011, 07:20 PM
the problem with a questionnaire kinda thing is abuse

With PMs your time restricted, and registered

with a questionnaire unless you tied it to having to be logged into habbox.com you wouldn't be able to ensure people wouldn't randomly fill it in and spam send it etc.

If it could be properly secured it would be easier, but I doubt theres that many apps that will absolutely require this kinda system :p

Suspective
30-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Or you could always just put Staff Applications on the forum, using a form software. That way you'd know they have a forum account, be able to look into the background of a member and certain people can comment on the applications and reply through the forum.

I know other fansites do this and it could be quite convenient for both members and management.

Mathew
30-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't really think this would work in our favour. I'm sure the same can be said for all departments: staff members need to be signed up to the forum to carry out their job effectively. In that respect, there's no reason why they shouldn't just send us a PM. If someone applies for events, they would send them through PM to me and I'd copy it into a thread where Cameron, Rosie and Rosy can read them. We then discuss them on MSN and decide. I don't think it's tedious at all, I quite enjoy it actually! :P

scottish
30-11-2011, 07:35 PM
hx management are always paranoid about using mods aren't they

spose they could add a new page and stick a form in a questionnaire fashion with text box for each answer

sending it would add to a table in db and management would be able to read the table

but would mean they'd have to add another page to be able to read the results, ensuring the viewer is person x or x

for the little amount of apps that they actually get would it be worth time to do that :P

Nuxty
30-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't really think this would work in our favour. I'm sure the same can be said for all departments: staff members need to be signed up to the forum to carry out their job effectively. In that respect, there's no reason why they shouldn't just send us a PM. If someone applies for events, they would send them through PM to me and I'd copy it into a thread where Cameron, Rosie and Rosy can read them. We then discuss them on MSN and decide. I don't think it's tedious at all, I quite enjoy it actually! :P

Yeah, I used to just put them in a thread if I ever needed second opinions from Seniors and stuff too.

I rather like the current system we use, I used to enjoy having apps sent to the News account and then reading them. I had them all in one place, saved them all sort of "on file" and it was alright tbh! Urm, I think the suggested system would complicate things. The use of colour didn't generally bother me in applications, sometimes it makes me a little more fun especially for news apps which were generally long and boring!! I never really experienced any applicants changing the words of questions. So I'd personally say the current system is fine as it is. :)

dogboy123
30-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I think the way things are at the moment, aplications take an awful long time to process etc and I just think there is an easier way to do it. I think saying it's completely necessery to have a forum account is bad, if people who dont have a forum account are ideal for the job, but they dont get it over someone who has an account. People can always sign up after sending they get accepted and can be contacted be e-mail. I think it would attract more people to apply as there are alot of people who just use habbox.com and don't sign up to the forum.

[@]@mathew[/@] - You could still go through them with assistant etc, it'd just be easier to process and easier to understand if the set question is there, and the answer is clearly underw/e

scottish
30-11-2011, 08:02 PM
It is necessary to have a forum account, otherwise you accept people email them find out they don't read their email and takes you ages to figure out they ain't signing up

so that time you've wasted could of been spent hiring an active staff member.

Chippiewill
30-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Make a forum account name a required entry on the form, then run a simple DB check to verify account existence, then generate a PM on the account with a link to verify that it's their account.
If they're too lazy to make a forum account then clearly they're not motivated enough to be an effective staff member.

Ultimately I really have little bearing on this in not being a manager, not knowing how much of an issue this is, but if this speeds up the process or makes things easier then it is certainly a worthwhile pursuit.

scottish
30-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Making a username required entry would still allow abuse though

someone could easily make a list of usernames and post them all

people can use fake usernames to attempt to get them in trouble (i.e. I could post one with your name swearing, being racist etc)

It would have to be a form on vb that automatically sends your username with the form

but I agree with others it's not really needed.

Mr-Trainor
30-11-2011, 09:53 PM
To those saying people could enter fake usernames and things, all it'd have to be is a page on the forum with links to go to different applications, and you have to be logged in on the forum to fill it out. I had that back when I had a forum, and if it's just like that where you choose that they must be registered, then I don't see the problem. I think it does make it easier having the question written out there and ensuring that each question is answered. It would also make it easier to read the applications.

Having said that, I don't think the current system of PMing a particular user has any major problems anyway. This could be a nice update, but not something which is completely nessecary in my opinion.

Jin
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Back to the idea and not it's implementation it isn't an effective method of screening applicants.

It would be the same as a multiple choice test, it doesn't gauge an applicants way of thinking or intelligence just how well they can answer questions. This could mean that even the noobiest of noobs could make it through the the trial phase essentially lengthening the whole process due to badly selected trialists.

Even if it were open ended questions it wouldn't be any different to the PM as each application would still need to be read and analysed.

scottish
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I think way he wanted it would be text box's more than click this checkbox if you want this answer, etc.

But I still agree that theres no real need for it, and as several managers have said its not an issue, and it's not as if theres hundreds of applications

Maybe 20-30 at most these days.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!