View Full Version : Notch Steps Down From Minecraft!

Eoin247
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/344-notch-steps-down-jeb-takes-lead-developer-position-for-minecraft/

D (http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/344-notch-steps-down-jeb-takes-lead-developer-position-for-minecraft/)idn't see this one coming to be honest. I wonder how Jeb is going to handle the minecraft project. Hopefully he'll be as good (hopefully even better) than Notch.

Zuth
02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow! Unexpected much! I'm sure Jeb will do a great job! It's not like notch is leaving it all together though... :)

Chippiewill
02-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Not unexpected to me really, Notch has always been about the terrain generation and engine side of things, where as Jeb has always been about the features view of things. When Jeb first started working on minecraft he put out a lot more features than notch almost entirely because he didn't have to spend his time on the tedious but necessary stuff (Like the terrain generation, like the optimisations etc.) Jeb was essentially able to do the secret saturday updates which minecraft really needs from now. The underlying stuff really can't be touched anymore otherwise they'll break maps (Bad thing for a released game btw). And with a new AI developer joining in a couple of months Notch really isn't needed anymore so he can go work on new projects.

Thomas
03-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Not unexpected to me really, Notch has always been about the terrain generation and engine side of things, where as Jeb has always been about the features view of things. When Jeb first started working on minecraft he put out a lot more features than notch almost entirely because he didn't have to spend his time on the tedious but necessary stuff (Like the terrain generation, like the optimisations etc.) Jeb was essentially able to do the secret saturday updates which minecraft really needs from now. The underlying stuff really can't be touched anymore otherwise they'll break maps (Bad thing for a released game btw). And with a new AI developer joining in a couple of months Notch really isn't needed anymore so he can go work on new projects.
I didn't see this coming but i agree with this^

Nick
03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
wow, really didnt see this coming any time soon :O Well i hope Jeb does do a good job

dbgtz
03-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm sure he said that this was going to happen once it was released. Personally I just think he's a bit bored of it and wants to try new things.

Sonex
03-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Ill check it

Wig44.
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm sure minecraft and its community will flourish with notch out of the way. Now people won't have to wait for him to come back from holiday all the time.

samsaBEAR
04-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm sure minecraft and its community will flourish with notch out of the way. Now people won't have to wait for him to come back from holiday all the time.
You literally have no idea how much I laughed when I read this, bravo sir!

I've always thought Jeb seems a bit more 'involved' when it came to developing the game, but it seems weird that Notch would jump ship, so to speak, literally not even a month after the game has released properly

Chippiewill
10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Jeb was more feature focused where as Notch was heavy into the less popularised stuff like terrain generation, biomes etc. It's hard to get excited about them but when you compare the terrain to a year ago you realise how lucky we are.

Neil
10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Not surprised at all, he is a game developer, he probably wants to work on other games and not have to dedicate masses of time to just Minecraft, which really only needs mod API and they could just put it down and let the community take over, it's fairly obvious that Jeb was pretty much acting lead developer during the last few months anyway with Notch spending too much time making a dragon.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!