PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a PC

Jack!
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Basically, Will be used for mainly web browsing, word documents, and to run GTA SA on, thats about it, any games I do run are old ones I can mod (GTA SA, Halo, Etc) And they can run on this thing im on at the mine

Current: P4 2.8 Ghz, 1.5gb RAM.

Ideally want more CPU Power, dual core? 2-4gb Ram would be nice, and a 1gb Graphics Card.

Cheap as possible, £300 MAX. Basic case is needed (Don't need anything fancy, though if I can, then go for it)

+Rep for any good advice, its not my first PC build so, Just build it as you see fit, I have done a few rough builds but I want some more ideas.

Nemo
08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
CAPTAIN REDDIT AT YOUR SERVICE.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

I need to like, get this website stickied or something

Thomas
08-12-2011, 09:02 PM
CAPTAIN REDDIT AT YOUR SERVICE.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc (http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc)

I need to like, get this website stickied or something
you do.

And yes reddit is the place to look, helped me a ton!

Chippiewill
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Current: P4 2.8 Ghz, 1.5gb RAM.
What is this I don't even?

The Reddit link is pretty good, at that price however you're not making a saving by going custom so I personally wouldn't bother.

Jack!
08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
What is this I don't even?

The Reddit link is pretty good, at that price however you're not making a saving by going custom so I personally wouldn't bother.

Pentium 4? Clocked to 2.8ghz?

I know at the low price I wont save much for custom, Jus' wanna build it :P

Chippiewill
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Pentium 4? Clocked to 2.8ghz?

I know at the low price I wont save much for custom, Jus' wanna build it :P
I thought P4 had gone extinct.

By you're not going to save I meant you're going to get a worse computer. You're going to struggle on a £300 budget, and at that price point you're going to want to follow a set build someone else has done really as it's difficult to balance the performance of parts.

Windows will take £80 off you right at the bat, so what you're trying to do is build with £220, when £80 needs to go to the CPU, £80 to the mobo which means you have to get a dirt cheap graphics card (Probably integrated) a risky PSU and a tiny HDD. Doable but not worth it. At your price point you want to go AMD as they're a tad cheaper, you'll want to reuse the hard drive if you can

Jack!
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I thought P4 had gone extinct.

By you're not going to save I meant you're going to get a worse computer. You're going to struggle on a £300 budget, and at that price point you're going to want to follow a set build someone else has done really as it's difficult to balance the performance of parts.

Windows will take £80 off you right at the bat, so what you're trying to do is build with £220, when £80 needs to go to the CPU, £80 to the mobo which means you have to get a dirt cheap graphics card (Probably integrated) a risky PSU and a tiny HDD. Doable but not worth it. At your price point you want to go AMD as they're a tad cheaper, you'll want to reuse the hard drive if you can

Don't need the OS ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!