PDA

View Full Version : Eurozone crisis: Foreign Office plans evacuation of expatriates

-:Undertaker:-
18-12-2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8963947/Eurozone-crisis-Foreign-Office-plans-evacuation-of-expatriates.html
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/12/17/uk-eurozone-idUKTRE7BF0P120111217

Eurozone crisis: Foreign Office plans evacuation of expatriates

Britons living in Spain and Portugal could get government help to leave the countries if the crisis in the eurozone sends their banks into meltdown.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02088/sp_2088117b.jpg
We said it'd end in tears and violence: Police in Barcelonatackle protesters

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Treasury is putting measures in place to help evacuate thousands of expatriates living in Spain and Portugal in case they are stranded no access to their savings. The two countries, which both have sizeable British populations, were among those made vulnerable by the "sustained deterioration" in funding. Spain was warned by credit rating agency Fitch that it was facing a debt downgrade along with Italy, while Ireland, Belgium, Slovenia and Cyprus were also given the warning.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02054/euro-coin_2054082c.jpg
Rating agency Fitch says a euro solution is 'beyond reach' (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/12/17/uk-eurozone-idUKTRE7BF0P120111217)

Meanwhile, around one million Britons live in Spain with around 50,000 in Portugal. The Foreign Office said it was concerned they could be cut off from their accounts if the countries' banks called in loans. A source told the Sunday Times (£) the Government was considering chartering planes, ships and coaches to bring expats back to the UK. “The nuclear scenario would be having thousands of Brits stranded at the airports in Spain and Portugal with no way to get money from the cash dispenser and no way to get home. Who would be blamed for this? The Foreign Office," an official said. “We are looking at how we can help evacuate them if the banks in Spain and Portugal collapse, getting people cash, things like that, sending planes. We did similar things in Lebanon in 2006. We are coordinating with the Treasury.”

Financial aid could also be sent to expats, many of whom are retired and living on small incomes. A Treasury spokesman said: "Of course we plan for a range of contingencies. We are not going into the specifics of what we are planning for." Last month, it was reported that the Foreign Office had asked embassies and consulates for contingency plans for rioting and social unrest in countries most affected by the eurozone crisis. Diplomats were told to prepare for an evacuation of tens for/of thousands of British citizens as a banking/currency collapse could mean they would be unable to withdraw cash. An FCO spokesperson said: "Officials continue to contingency plan for a range of possible scenarios"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Qai0gSp9I&feature=player_embedded

Its clear the end is nearing now and I can't even see the northern European countries holding onto the currency once the others drop away like flies. The brand is now so contaminated, with the unelected European Commission itself not even using the phrase 'Euro bonds' and instead using 'Stability bonds' to refer to their-dead-in-the-water proposals. A recent poll showed the Germans don't even want the Euro currency anymore despite Germany being fed with rubbish about its collapse (ie, the world will end).

The pain when it collapses will be great make no doubt about it, but the longer it is put off then the worse and worse it will get. When it does go though, lets hope justice is done and the people behind this Euro and the European Union 'project' are taken to court. The irony is, those who claimed they 'loved Europe' by trying to create a new country called Europe and erase any signs of the old ones are the ones who are now going to be potentially responsible for a currency collapse, a outbreak of violence as people lose their life savings and governments being toppled by military regimes simply because there's no other option.

But thats what happens when all people care about is not having to exchange their currencies when they go on their next holiday. In the end, you won't be able to afford any holidays due to your own ignorance.

Thoughts? would those who said we should have joined the Euro please stand up?

jam666
18-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Yep it's coming to an end!, short term pain for long term gain. May I add that whilst this may see extremeist, I suggest people start stocking up on non-perishable food / water, have something for self defence and transfer cash savings into gold/silver. When the Eurozone does collapse, everything could and most probably will be fine, but on the other hand it could potentially disrupt the supply chain for a few weeks and we all need to be pared for that eventuality as its not a matter of IF its a matter of WHEN.

GommeInc
19-12-2011, 01:09 AM
The Eurozone crisis is like a battle with cancer, it's best to tackle it early than to delay it when it will only get worse. The only major difference is death is not on the horizon, but you could say freedom from the Euro and the Eurozone crisis is heavenly :P

Thankfully most of the stuff from Europe is fruit and veg (perishable), but places like Kent and Essex have a lot of farms which grow things useful for the winter and spring months so a collapse wouldn't hurt the food industry that much. From what I am aware, the collapse won't effect us that badly in terms of exports and imports to the Netherlands as we're both happy traders with one another, so things like bacon shouldn't run out of stock. But anything could happen.

I find it interesting many Euro supporters on the forum have gone quietly lately.

cocaine
19-12-2011, 02:54 AM
i don't blame germany for printing large quantities of Deutschmarks on the sly. in fact i think it was rather clever. it seemed they saw what was inevitable and started planning for it. where's the support for the euro now, hahaha.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!