PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a career.

Con
23-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Have you decided on a career path you are going to take? If you have, then how did you decide this?
Have you just chosen to follow the path that you are good at, or that you have a passion for or what?

I have no clue what to do. Like there are ideas of what career I would like but there are things holding me back and now I'm thinking, I'm 18...I'm running out of time to decide?

Recursion
23-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I've gone for what I'm good at and have a passion for, i.e. Computers and Networking. I was fairly lucky that I knew what I wanted to do from probably ~year 9.

I'm now on a Computer Science degree course.

Nemo
23-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I've gone for a mix of what i'm good at and what I have a passion for. Similar to above, I want to go into Computing but specifically I love Programming. I'd definitely say i'm good at that (got 99% on my programming exam last year :P) and i really really enjoy it. I've had a bunch of experience with it already, including in the work place so I definitely know it's something I would want to do when i'm older.

Always been a bit of a nerd so i've always known I wanted to do something in computing. Last year was when programming really clicked for me, when we started doing it in Computing.

Applied for both Computer Science and Software Engineering and so far got CS at Reading and SE at Nottingham :D

Chippiewill
24-12-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm planning to go on a very different career path to above. When I do eventually start applying to university next year I'm going for computer science.. WITH MATHS. Either that or without or SE or CSE or EE. Then I'll get a job in ballet or something.

To be honest Nemo, I'm surprised you don't want to be a Korean pro sc2 player.

Nemo
24-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm planning to go on a very different career path to above. When I do eventually start applying to university next year I'm going for computer science.. WITH MATHS. Either that or without or SE or CSE or EE.

To be honest Nemo, I'm surprised you don't want to be a Korean pro sc2 player.
That's more of a backup/hobby. Almost masters zerg, next stop GM, then Korea!

J0SH
24-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Worked in the family business, but usually it's the family that drains a business and makes it go down hill, so I was like **** that. Now I'm studying to be a stock trader/broker. My dads business partner does this for a living, he's going to pay for my courses and stuff cause he believes I'll be very good at it.

Heard inspiration stories about stock traders who work hard, one guy finished university with a fairly good knowledge, later on he got a job at BP trading for them and he made over 4 million a year and retired in his 30s a millionaire. Of course he can retire at that age and find millions enough to live off, cause he can always trade his own money and generate pocket money. Just seems like an ideal job for me, :P

GirlNextDoor15
24-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Anything related to Science. :D

Oleh
24-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I knew since I was 8 that I wanted to be something computer oriented, Now I'm pondering over something programmy wise or web wise.

Chippiewill
24-12-2011, 04:06 PM
That's more of a backup/hobby. Almost masters zerg, next stop GM, then Korea!
If you got a job in america with a top tech company you could take part in the AHGL I guess..
http://afterhoursgaming.tv/

You're better off getting into GM and taking part at dreamhack, get yourself known then go to korea.

Technologic
24-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Committed myself to being a doctor aha, going to med school next year

Sharon
24-12-2011, 06:54 PM
decided last year i'll do law so lets hope i can do that

=Lizzy
24-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Ive always wanted to be a teacher but lately I have become interested in translating and being an air hostess.

Guess time will tell though!"

luce
24-12-2011, 07:09 PM
forensic psychology or something else to do with psychology. basically have that in mind when going into my degree next year whether that be at UCL or Cambridge (haven't heard back from cam yet so don't know). I basically just followed the path of what I loved,coincidentallyI am very good at it.

that would be my tip though follow what you love, within reason if ya know what i mean, and you won't go far wrong because if you love it and you're on a low salary then you won't mind as much similarly if it's competitive your love for it will drive you on :)

The Don
24-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Am I the only one that hasn't got a clue what they want to do?

LoveToStack
25-12-2011, 12:03 AM

I feel the same way.

I'm currently at university because my parents 'insisted' I go ("No one in this family will ever support you if you drop out of university.") but I hate it. I'm 100% positive that I've failed all my exams and will be asked to leave the university. I'm just too afraid to check my emails yet since I know once I see the email for real then it all becomes tangibly real and I'll have to cope with the possibility of being kicked out. I'd much rather have just gotten a job for a year or two, decided what I wanted to study and where I wanted to go in life and then gone to university first but apparently that's not an option.

Also Merry Christmas.

Shar
25-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Probably not, for some people they know what to do from the age of 8 or whatever and others still don't know what to do at 18.

The career path I've chosen is something that suits me personally I think.

The way to decide is by looking at your likes/dislikes and your personality in general. It's not easy to decide but once you know its a relief.

Chippiewill
25-12-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm currently at university because my parents 'insisted' I go ("No one in this family will ever support you if you drop out of university.") but I hate it. I'm 100% positive that I've failed all my exams and will be asked to leave the university. I'm just too afraid to check my emails yet since I know once I see the email for real then it all becomes tangibly real and I'll have to cope with the possibility of being kicked out. I'd much rather have just gotten a job for a year or two, decided what I wanted to study and where I wanted to go in life and then gone to university first but apparently that's not an option.

"They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you."
Non censored WARNING SWEARING:
http://www.artofeurope.com/larkin/lar2.htm

Jazz
25-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm taking a year out of education this year and going back to college next year to take radio production and presenting. I want to be involved with radio, maybe behind the scenes.

Inseriousity.
25-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I wanted to be a teacher but I might be a educationalresearcher instead. In other words, used to be certain now don't know! :(

GoldenMerc
26-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Do what you want, not what your parents or someone else wants you to do.

Amberr
30-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I literally have no idea what i want to do, im probably going to be redoing my first year of a-levels next year as i just really don't have any enthusiasm towards any of my subjects. i just dont have a clue what i want.

Cerys
30-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Since a very young age I always wanted to be a doctor, but since my family may not have enough money to support me on this, due to personal reasons, I may become a doctor in the Army. They pay for all the education you need to do this.
They have loads of jobs such as vets and engineers. You may want to take a look into it? :)

dbgtz
30-12-2011, 07:19 PM
decided last year i'll do law so lets hope i can do that

Well in college so far, the only hard part is learning the cases names, followed by learning the laws (which I find much easier than cases for some reason).

Since a very young age I always wanted to be a doctor, but since my family may not have enough money to support me on this, due to personal reasons, I may become a doctor in the Army. They pay for all the education you need to do this.
They have loads of jobs such as vets and engineers. You may want to take a look into it? :)

Why do you need to live off of your parents support?

-JammyDodgers
30-12-2011, 10:16 PM
What Do you want to be when you are older? ;3
Or For some older people what you wanted to be and what you are now, could be interesting to hear,
To be Honest i want to be a Baker :3

Edited by Catzsy (Forum Super Moderator): Thread merged as virtually same topic

Jssy
30-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Hair stylist, used to want to be a piercer though

Neversoft
30-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Isn't this pretty much the same as the dream jobs thread. I want to be a screenwriter or novelist, but I wouldn't mind dabbing in journalism either.

beth
30-12-2011, 11:36 PM
an actor, or something to do with community theatre.

Cerys
31-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Why do you need to live off of your parents support?

Atm I'm not old enough for a job and when I get one I doubt I'll make enough money to pay for all my courses?

CrazyLemurs
31-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, what do you like to do? What are you best at? I'm only at GCSEs atm, but half of my subjects bore me to death; I take them for the qualifications. I'll only really use Computing, Maths and maybe some Applied Business.
But 18 certainly isn't too late for anything really. Some people don't get into their dream job till 40. You've still got half your life after that ^^

iJess
31-12-2011, 08:29 PM
ummm either something to do with animals or forensics because i'm taking seperate sciences at school so i'll have lots of sciencey grades woo

then something to do with dance or acting in my free time woo!

oh. and an author (so not gonna happen)

Elegance
31-12-2011, 08:34 PM
well i wanna be a scientist or work in labs of some sorttttt but at the same time i wanna be a theatre actress :P

Smurfed-
31-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I really enjoy playing with children. ever since year 7 its what I've always wanted to do.

TheCasualSpy
31-12-2011, 11:52 PM
got to do what you love so a policeman seems like a good job to be in you can learn some great things and meet great people.

dbgtz
01-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Atm I'm not old enough for a job and when I get one I doubt I'll make enough money to pay for all my courses?

Get a loan?

Aladdin
01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
na, i keep changing my mind.

Describe
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I just take opportunities as they come. I'm currently a Modern Apprentice with Dundee City Council doing Administration and I'm not sure I want to do that for the rest of my life.

ibuprofen
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
a lot of people have trouble paying for school, myself included, so i am going through the bank, and getting a loan.
i am going to be an Architect, hopefully starting next September, I'm currently working full time and saving as much as possible lol

geo
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I haven't a clue about what I want to be, nor what I want to do for work experience. :( I really want to know, but I just don't aha.

I really enjoy playing with children. ever since year 7 its what I've always wanted to do.

You what?!

Con
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't understand why the two threads were merged when theyactuallyaren't the same topic :S
This one was supposed to be about how you decided/how to decide on a career not necessarily what career you want to do :S

kuzkasate
02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Well my dream job is slightly unreal, I mean it would be possible but its a pretty tough environment to let myself into, there's hardly any work. So what I am doing first of all is, getting a back up plan B so I can become a dentist and I will then focus on plan A, so if I fail that I always have the second option to fall back on.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!