PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what SOPA is?!

Lanyon
25-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Watch theYouTubevideo!

http://youtu.be/2syqdJ3gaV0

Eoin247
25-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I think that most people on the internet know what SOPA is at this stage. To be honest i think that sites like 4chan are taking it too seriously. I don't believe that for us SOPA will make a big difference if any to how the internet it used or works.

For those who don't know, SOPA ( the stop online piracy act) has been worrying many internet users in recent months. It is a bill being debated through congress in the USA. It's extremely unpopular throughout the internet (mainly due to unfounded scaremongering).

For more info on it and the stories/"scandal" related to it, search for it on google/bing or something or check wikipedia for it.

Oleh
25-12-2011, 02:45 PM
As far as I'm concerned It's a bill tailored for the media companies so they can requested websites with copyright infringing content to be taken down without a court case. That is the main reasoning behind the hostility I believe.

-:Undertaker:-
25-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Another attempt to control and regulate the internet by the government. As they say, whenever the government says its going to protect you - get ready, because it means you're going to lose your freedoms.

Get the government off the internet completely.

For those who don't know, SOPA ( the stop online piracy act) has been worrying many internet users in recent months. It is a bill being debated through congress in the USA. It's extremely unpopular throughout the internet (mainly due to unfounded scaremongering).

Or maybe because people (rightly) don't trust a word the government tells them.

Chippiewill
25-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Here's a better video about SOPA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

Here's why it's a better video about SOPA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HriNzsp89lM

As far as I'm concerned It's a bill tailored for the media companies so they can requested websites with copyright infringing content to be taken down without a court case. That is the main reasoning behind the hostility I believe.
Yes but this makes it seem quite tame, currently the way it's set out allows them to take down any site (Even google) if they host any infringing material so a company could shut down youtube for their song being parodied. It's not that people expect that as the intention, but that's actually what it will likely lead towards. You have to bear in mind, this is how government censorship starts, the government would only have to claim that some anti-government website is copyright infringement and they wouldn't be accessible.

To be honest i think that sites like 4chan are taking it too seriously. I don't believe that for us SOPA will make a big difference if any to how the internet it used or works. The problem is that whatever system they have for the DNS take down it will be abused by companies to take down websites that aren't committing copyright offence.

Another attempt to control and regulate the internet by the government. As they say, whenever the government says its going to protect you - get ready, because it means you're going to lose your freedoms.

Get the government off the internet completely. I whole heartedly agree. We cannot let this pass in the US because otherwise the officials in Brussels might get the incorrect impression that this is an ok thing to do and we already know that they want to be the next totalitarian state like china who have blocked most websites.

GommeInc
26-12-2011, 01:13 AM
I've always been of the understanding that the internet should not be regulated and is there purely for people to freely use as they so please. It probably costs Governments around the world millions, if not billions, to try to regulate the internet and considering people will always share files it really is a losing battle.

FiftyCal
28-12-2011, 02:21 AM
SOPA is a way so people won't discover any piracy. Websites like youtube, facebook or any social media website is probably going to get taken down no question about that because so many people have uploaded copyrighted material. I would actually get really mad if youtube got shut down. It's fine the way it is right now by just removing the copyrighted videos instead of just shutting the whole place down! Because then there goes all my google adsense money right down the toilet because there's no more youtube to make revenue off of.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!