PDA

View Full Version : Best method of using MSN on Macs?

Pigperson
29-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I was wondering what's the best program for MSN because I got the normal one but it's incredibly limited, it doesn't let me leave offline messages (it just signs me out) and there's no messenger plus. So are there programs like eBuddy or w/e that are better for Macs?

Help is much appreciated ;)

Will

beth
29-12-2011, 01:37 PM
well i think this is probably one of the things you should've considered before buying a mac if it concerns you do greatly. clues kinda in the name msn it will always be tailored for microsoft devices. i don't think ebuddy let's you leave offline messages anyway? might just have to put up.

xxMATTGxx
29-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I believe Adium is still around which is another IM client but I've heard it's gone crap in recent months. I'm also not sure if they let you do offline messages either but you can check it out by going to: http://adium.im/

Pigperson
29-12-2011, 01:43 PM
well i think this is probably one of the things you should've considered before buying a mac if it concerns you do greatly. clues kinda in the name msn it will always be tailored for microsoft devices. i don't think ebuddy let's you leave offline messages anyway? might just have to put up.

Yeah ino but I still like the Mac, it's only 1 thing that I dislike. I thought there were other messaging programs better than this. I would think that someone would make a version for Mac anyway lol.

Will

---------- Post added 29-12-2011 at 03:46 PM ----------

I believe Adium is still around which is another IM client but I've heard it's gone crap in recent months. I'm also not sure if they let you do offline messages either but you can check it out by going to: http://adium.im/

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a go. Although I kinda want one where I could preferably leave offline messages as I tend to do that, it's weird that MSN on mac doesn't let you do that, I accept no messenger plus but I think there must be a bug or something, every time, it says I can leave an offline message but when I try it, it signs me out :S

Will

Pigperson
29-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Ooooh I just downloaded aMSN, it's a very retro messenger but it does everything I need it to do so it's all sorted now :D

+rep for Beth and Matt anyways.

Will

HotelUser
29-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Um, what :P? Just because Microsoft makes it doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't offer support on other platforms. Microsoft is quite good for cross platform support for their products, infact, they have official applications for MSN for OS X, iOS and I'm pretty sure Android. It doesn't matter that he didn't research this before buying a Mac, I never did, because I was already aware that there are enough alternatives to Microsoft's official MSN client. I never even used Microsoft's client when I was mainly Windows because I hated how bulky it was, the ads on it, and because I wanted something with multiple protocol/account support. On OS X, in order of my own preference: Adium, aMSN, Trillian, official MSN.

[@]@xxMATTGxx[/@] The only bug I've experienced after Adium fixed the rest in their last update (and there were a few), is that it only displays one group conversation at a time, other than that it gets the job done for me!

Recursion
29-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Microsoft provides huge amounts of support for other platforms, they have apps on iOS/OS X/Android/Symbian. A lot of people actually prefer Office for Mac 2011 over Microsoft Office 2010 (Windows), which I tend to agree with.

The best MSN client I found for OS X was Adium, but they all miss a fair number of key features that the official Windows clients have.

Pigperson
29-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I got aMSN and it's good, just a bit retro. I looked at the screens of Adium on google and it looks pretty similar to aMSN in the features and the old design.

I can't see any thing that makes Adium better so I guess I'll stick with aMSN for now. I miss the colours and vibrancy etc lol.

Will

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!