PDA

View Full Version : Help quick

Andys
29-12-2011, 04:26 PM
So I'm sitting here putting together my new machine. So far in is the CPU, mobo, cpu cooler, hdd, optical drive, memory and its bolted into the case etc.

So I go to try and test that the powers working ok, so I turn it on and a tiny bit of smoke comes from the top of the mobo, doesn't seem to have came from a specific component though, what shall I do?

Thanks!!!

EDIT: And now when I press the power on button the fan starts spinning but immediately stops... have I broke the board :/
EDIT 2: Also the CPU fan does not spin when I start up even though it's plugged in.

Tomm
29-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Sounds like the board is fried. Might of fried other components as well. Although just to make sure, take it out of the case and see if it will start outside the case (i.e make sure it is not shorting on the case). When testing the stuff outside of the case unplug the drives and just leave one stick of ram in.

Also, what PSU did you use?

N!ck
30-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Most likely some sort of short circuit I think. You should test it barebones as Tom suggested.

Sit the motherboard on top of the box it came in with the CPU, CPU cooler and one stick of RAM installed. If possible use the integrated graphics if it has it, but if not also insert your GPU. Connect the main ATX power cable and connect the 4 or 8 pin (depending on your motherboard) power cable whice should be somewhere near the CPU (usually above it) to your motherboard.

Connect the power switch from the case OR jump it by touching the two power switch pins with a screwdriver if the cable won't reach.

Make sure you have a monitor connected and see if it POSTs.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!