PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on my portfolio website

Pawf
30-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey all,

I've spent some time redoing my portfolio website. The portfolio itself it's that populated yet, however I'm looking for some feedback on the website itself.

Please give the usual constructive stuff that I know and love :)

LINK: www.osmith.co.uk (http://www.osmith.co.uk)

Thanks.

Oliver

[EDIT] I would point out that the code hasn't been cleaned up yet, and I have written this sort of as I go along without much planning, so please don't think bad of me for that!

Zuth
30-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Lets just say, its very plain IMO

Pawf
30-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Erm. I guess thanks for your insight(?)

Is that a bad/good thing? Why? What would you do differently?

It appears I'm constructively criticising your constructive criticism...

Repair
30-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Its just a white background with some text Try different colors like grey for the background and include some examples of your work, links to other pages etc.

GeorginaxD
30-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I like how you're going for the simple look, but I think you should add a bit of pattern to the background. :)

Zuth
30-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Erm. I guess thanks for your insight(?)

Is that a bad/good thing? Why? What would you do differently?

It appears I'm constructively criticising your constructive criticism...

I'd say you need a layout tbh

Swearwolf
30-12-2011, 06:46 PM
graphic designer with no graphics on main page is my first thoughts mate

Pawf
30-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for you input folks, allow me to respond to each one in turn.

Its just a white background with some text Try different colors like grey for the background and include some examples of your work, links to other pages etc.

There are examples of work and other pages. The navigation at the top is under the main banner. I know it's hard to make out, which is one of the things I am changing, as it doesn't stand out.

I like how you're going for the simple look, but I think you should add a bit of pattern to the background. :)

I have experimented with different colours, background patterns, etc, but each one seems to detract from the overall look of the site. I'm open to suggestion though, of course, so if you can think of a specific thing that you think would look good I'd love to try it out :D

graphic designer with no graphics on main page is my first thoughts mate

Ah yes, indeed. I'm working on a personal logo for the website, which will sit to the right of my name at the top.

Trinity
31-12-2011, 01:43 AM

I agree with this lady.
I can sort of see the style you're going for, but it needs more depth, a background pattern and maybe a better font for the headers.
Check outhttp://subtlepatterns.com/for a nice background that doesn't overwhelm the page.
Use text-shadow to add a bit of depth.
I'm not sure about the font, that is purely up to you, I just think it could be a bit more friendly and less sharp.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS, YOU MAY HAVE THEM NOW.

Firehorse
31-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Use a smaller font. I would say Verdana size 13.

Pawf
31-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I agree with this lady.
I can sort of see the style you're going for, but it needs more depth, a background pattern and maybe a better font for the headers.
Check outhttp://subtlepatterns.com/for a nice background that doesn't overwhelm the page.
Use text-shadow to add a bit of depth.
I'm not sure about the font, that is purely up to you, I just think it could be a bit more friendly and less sharp.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS, YOU MAY HAVE THEM NOW.

Thanks, I checked that website and found some great inspiration, but nothing that struck me as instantly usable. Think I'll play around and make my own one :)

Use a smaller font. I would say Verdana size 13.

I have implemented a smaller font size now, and agree it looks great :D

For all those interested, the site has been updated, and now looks like this (in Chrome anyway!)

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3167/screenshot8ie.png

Richie
01-01-2012, 08:25 AM
I can't see any of your work, I like the design though. It's plain but it looks different to most sites nowadays.

Zuth
01-01-2012, 10:12 AM
This design is simple & plain but I really like it :) Very affective IMO

Succubus
01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Its a basic website, a bit plain.
The layout in the middle is a bit simple, so play around with the layouts.
Add some colour as well :D

darbest
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey all,

I've spent some time redoing my portfolio website. The portfolio itself it's that populated yet, however I'm looking for some feedback on the website itself.

Please give the usual constructive stuff that I know and love :)

LINK: www.osmith.co.uk (http://www.osmith.co.uk)

Thanks.

Oliver

[EDIT] I would point out that the code hasn't been cleaned up yet, and I have written this sort of as I go along without much planning, so please don't think bad of me for that!

It's very nice oliver. Though I do not get the Hotel Furniture "connection"?

lolwut
14-01-2012, 07:33 PM
It just feels like you've taken a Word document, exported it as HTML, uploaded it, and said "voila".

It doesn't feel like a website, but more like a holding page. Placing the content in boxes, using a background colour/image, and implementing a wider range of colours may help to make it feel more like a proper website.

You've stated that not all theinfrastructureis in place yet, but none the less I feel I should point out that all your hyperlinks (ncluding, alarmingly, your "contact me" link) don't go anywhere. I don't mean to offend, I just felt I should point it out in case you weren't already aware.

Adam
17-01-2012, 09:59 PM
It's awful.

A portfolio is used to showcase your work and all that showcases is your fondness for empty space.

Ellz
17-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I do like your website and how its laid out i just think you need to add abit more, it look really plain :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!