PDA

View Full Version : Explorer keeps crashing when opening certain media folders

peteyt
04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi there

Basically at the moment Windows Explorer keeps crashing when opening certain folders with media in it. I can just open or click on a video file or even an MP3 folder and it will crash. This includes new stuff I've downloaded, so it isn't actually a specific file I've downloaded.

I've activated the do not cache thumbnails setting as I heard this might fix it but the problem still is happening.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Edition

Thanks

Chippiewill
04-01-2012, 08:32 PM
It seems plausible to me that when it tries to load statistics like bitrate, length etc. it crashes. Maybe there's a broken codec?

peteyt
04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
It seems plausible to me that when it tries to load statistics like bitrate, length etc. it crashes. Maybe there's a broken codec?

What codec would it be for both video and mp3 audio files and where would I download it?

Thanks

Chippiewill
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Well it seems likely to be a pre-existing codec that's broken, do you have something like VLC/XVID/Winamp installed?

Mark
05-01-2012, 01:32 AM
I don't know if it will help but maye try a disk defrag?

peteyt
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I started to get errors and stuff and decided to do a repair install of Windows 7 had a few issues once that was done as some things didn't work but seems like things are okay now. No problems viewing music or video as of yet which is a good sign.

peteyt
06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
The fix seemed to have problems. Windows Update wouldn't load from start only control panel, easily sorted by removing it and then copying a newshort cut.Occasionallyhowever when right clicking on the desktop and going to personalise I get an explorer has caused anexception. If I right click on my computer and click properties (on the desktop or while actually in my computer) nothing comes up.

Jack!
06-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Backup. Fomat. Reinstall.

peteyt
06-01-2012, 12:27 AM

I may just wait. While it is weird I cannot access certain stuff from some ways I can access it from other ways. I've just updated all the windows update things. Reformats are painful because as well as the many updates you also have to install all your programs again.

Jack!
06-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I may just wait. While it is weird I cannot access certain stuff from some ways I can access it from other ways. I've just updated all the windows update things. Reformats are painful because as well as the many updates you also have to install all your programs again.

There is a program (I cant seem to think of it) which you can set to download the updates, and it applies them to your install, I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called, you can also make it an auto install (Tell it what to do) so you just start it and you can let it run, then you can go do something else.

Showder
06-01-2012, 08:10 AM

I think this works, Explorer kept crashing or hanging whenever I used it last time.

ChristopherH
25-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Does it seem to only Happen during Playback or Whilst you are opening the format?

This could be due to a Driver/Codec or a Failing Video Card. (If you have One)

Try downloading ComboFix From beelpingcomputer it is a very handy Program!

peteyt
28-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Does it seem to only Happen during Playback or Whilst you are opening the format?

This could be due to a Driver/Codec or a Failing Video Card. (If you have One)

Try downloading ComboFix From beelpingcomputer it is a very handy Program!

Thanks for your post the windows fix I did - basically an install of windows 7 without deleting the files, seems to have fixed the issue. It didn't happen while playing it basically happened while opening a folder that contained a media file in it films and audio, sometimes you had to click on a file sometimes it just crashed if the folder had one of them in it.

Just also noticed the little problem I had of right clicking on my computer - properties now works fine.

I recommend people visit this URL if they want to re-install Windows on Windows 7 (possibly works for vista 2) while leaving your files intact - some programs however do go wrong - Adobe stuff, windows update and some hardware stuff. It's basically a repair install like XP offered.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!