PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Hamster? +rep for good responses

Cerys
17-01-2012, 04:01 PM
(I couldn't see a better place for this thread)

Right, I'm 13 almost 14 andgetting over £40 a month. I asked my mum if I could get two dwarf hamsters. I've always been asking if I could get some, but I feel now that I'm almost 14 I'm responsible enough to take care of them myself.

I'd buy everything I needed and keep them in my room and give them loads of attention. We barely go on holiday, but if we did my dad would be able to take care of them.

My mum seems to think that this is a bad idea because: Paddy (our dog) may harm them. He's not allowed upstairs, and I'd keep the hamsters upstairs. She also thinks I'll neglect them.
I'm the one who feeds and walks Paddy, so I have loads of practise in caring for animals.

I've told her all this, but she still thinks that I shouldn't get the hamsters. I have no idea why not.

Does anyone know what I could do to try and persuade her? I've already told her I'll always keep my room tidy etc.

Help please :3 x

geo
17-01-2012, 04:08 PM
You'd let your dad have them? I thought he was a rapi- oh.
Erm, I'd just tell your mum that you're seriously getting more responsible. Also, I'd probably care more for your dog for the time being to really show her that you'd care a lot. Hmm, why does she think you'll neglect them? Do you spend more time downstairs then up? If so, I'd spend more time in your room but still have enough time for the dog and your other animals or w/e.

Cerys
17-01-2012, 04:20 PM
You'd let your dad have them? I thought he was a rapi- oh.
Erm, I'd just tell your mum that you're seriously getting more responsible. Also, I'd probably care more for your dog for the time being to really show her that you'd care a lot. Hmm, why does she think you'll neglect them? Do you spend more time downstairs then up? If so, I'd spend more time in your room but still have enough time for the dog and your other animals or w/e.

Confused about the first part xD
And I always care for Paddy, whenever my Mum see's me I'm hugging Paddy or something like that.
I would usually be in my room but there isn't much to do upstairs, so I sometimes am in the sittingroom.
I'll try be upstairs a bit more though, thanks. :) xx

MKR&*42
17-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Aww dw, I'm nearly 16 and want this thing called a degu - it's like a rat crossed with a chinchilla LOL. But I think it's really cute D: - anyway my mum won't let me have it because she doesn't like them ._.

Just rage at her and saw you deserve one - in fact bargain with her. Say that you can prove to her that you can look after 1 for at least a month and if you can't, you don't keep it? ^_^

Just borrow a friends (if you know they have 1) if you want to trial it ;3

geo
17-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Aww dw, I'm nearly 16 and want this thing called a degu - it's like a rat crossed with a chinchilla LOL. But I think it's really cute D: - anyway my mum won't let me have it because she doesn't like them ._.

Just rage at her and saw you deserve one - in fact bargain with her. Say that you can prove to her that you can look after 1 for at least a month and if you can't, you don't keep it? ^_^

Raging at your mum is such an awful suggestion, I don't really know if it was a joke.. It wouldn't be fair on your mum, it's also her house so I guess she's got a say in these things. I'd love a small dog, but my mum doesn't want one? Hey, that's life.

I would agree with your more sensible suggestion, I guess you could reason with her although that's hardly fair on the pet if she thinks you didn't care for it enough as she'd of liked you to.

I'd stop nagging your mum and just prove you're responsible lol.

Cerys
17-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Ooo my cousin used to have degu's. They're amazing :D

Tbh the one month thing is a good idea. Georgia said it wouldn't be fair on the pet because they'd have to go to a different home, but that wouldn't happen because I know that I can care for it :3
(I already have names for them LOL)

Thankss xxxx

geo
17-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Tbh the one month thing is a good idea. Georgia said it wouldn't be fair on the pet because they'd have to go to a different home, but that wouldn't happen because I know that I can care for it :3

Thankss xxxx

Yeah, it wouldn't be fair if you neglected it and stuff. Make sure you don't because that's unfair on the animal!!!!!!!11one

MKR&*42
17-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Raging at your mum is such an awful suggestion, I don't really know if it was a joke.. It wouldn't be fair on your mum, it's also her house so I guess she's got a say in these things. I'd love a small dog, but my mum doesn't want one? Hey, that's life.

I would agree with your more sensible suggestion, I guess you could reason with her although that's hardly fair on the pet if she thinks you didn't care for it enough as she'd of liked you to.

I'd stop nagging your mum and just prove you're responsible lol.

I was joking D: - I'll try make that more obvious next time ._.

---------- Post added 17-01-2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

Thankss xxxx

GET. ME. ONE PLEASE D;

I will actually pay you </3

-:Undertaker:-
17-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Dwarf hamsters are very low upkeep, I say go for it.

Often they're just content playing with one another on the wheel.

Cerys
18-01-2012, 04:35 PM
My mum came up with another reason not to get one - The smell.
I googled it, and it said if you clean the cage out every 3days, there is no smell. (This was said on over 20websites)

Ooft parents are stubborn.

+Ty Undertaker :3 x

wiktoria
24-01-2012, 09:36 PM
i have a syrian hamster and it recently gave birth :| you can have mine if you want xo

If you clean your hamsters cage every 3 or 4 days it really doesn't smell. There is 9 hamsters in one cage atm and my room doesn't smell like hamsters.
Your dog will accept to leave it alone. I have a sausage dog and these hunt prey so obviously she can smell the hamster but she just leaves it alone, especially if your dog is not allowed upstairs i don't see what the problem is.

Empired
24-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Buy them illegally Cerys, it's never been a problem for you before :P
No. Please do NOT do that!!

I got Saffy because my mum came home and I'd bought everything she needed, a bed, toys, leads, harnesses, collar, food, bowls.. EVERYTHING. And I told her all she had to do was to go and pick Saffy up. I'd already arranged everything by myself, and I shredded the receipts ;3
Don't do that either unless your MILFMUM is very easygoing, which it doesn't really sound like..

Do chores that you don't usually/ever do and while you're washing the plates or whatever you're doing, tell your mum how much you want these hamsters. Keep going like that until she gives in. Don't nag though xx

beth
25-01-2012, 12:00 AM
you will need to get 2 cause in all honesty they're better left alone with eachother in their cage. they're not like normal hamsters you can get out and stroke and stuff cause they are so fast they'll just disappear.

also they don't last very long, because they're so fast and little and have tiny hearts they're prone to heart attacks.

we've had a couple, neither lasted very long and we prefer bigger hamsters you can kinda have more of a contact with.

Aladdin
25-01-2012, 12:02 AM
be like please they might go to some uncaring owner who might cook them:( make her feel sorry she will let u have them ok.

Cerys
28-01-2012, 02:01 PM
She's let me have one now btw. :3 Thanks for all your help guys xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://oi42.tinypic.com/8wbptv.jpg

Chris
28-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Aww, glad you got one in the end. :D What have you called it? :)

Cerys
28-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Sam :3

Samantha
28-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Sam :3

I'm fa'mouse'

Would work if it was a mouse.

Kyle
28-01-2012, 03:42 PM
that looks like a rat not a hamster u sure u got the right thing

you're going to need another one or it'll get bored and probably kill itself

Chris
28-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Not with syrian hamsters. If you put 2 together then they'll kill eachother.

Cerys
28-01-2012, 04:10 PM

Last time I checked rats had really long tails? Hm.

DJROCKSTAR.
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I have got a Russian Dwarf hamster (Female) and she is called Roxy :) And erm.. maybe you could say to her i promise to buy its wood shavings and food and ill change its water every day and ill always clean it out and keep it tidy and then she will probally let you i got mine when i had a paper round i had to save up :)

Also remember if you re buying a Dwarf hamster you MUST make sure that you get a cage where you can not fit your little finger through the bars otherwise it will escape its a good idea to get one where it opens from the top like mine take a look at this picture below ;)

http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/images/Product/medium/31305.jpg

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!