PDA

View Full Version : Mobile World Congress 2012

AgnesIO
20-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Soo, stupidly I forgot about MWC 2012 being in just over a month.

I was going to get the Galaxy Nexus, but would it actually be a better idea to wait for MWC as there is surely going to be a bunch of new phones then?

Galaxy SIII and HTC Edge are two rumoured releases.

Eoin247
23-01-2012, 08:43 PM
This actualy wasn't in my mind at all. Definitely something to consider for me as i'm looking out for a new phone myself.

I'm looking at the official site now, and it does look promising for announcements of many new products

AgnesIO
23-01-2012, 08:45 PM
This actualy wasn't in my mind at all. Definitely something to consider for me as i'm looking out for a new phone myself.

I'm looking at the official site now, and it does look promising for announcements of many new products

Currently top of the range phones have been seen or heard of.. a few from HTC, Sony (and Sony Ericsson), Samsung and LG. Looks promising, excited myself since it should directly affect me!

Recursion
24-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I'll be interested to see what Samsung bring to the table, I really wasn't a fan of their phones, but ever since they took up Android they've been pumping out some nice products.

HTC I'm just disappointed with nowadays.

AgnesIO
24-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I'll be interested to see what Samsung bring to the table, I really wasn't a fan of their phones, but ever since they took up Android they've been pumping out some nice products.

HTC I'm just disappointed with nowadays.

The problem with Samsung is I am not a massive fan of the iOS layout, and they successfully make it even worse. I just want a clean system of Android before having to root and install custom stuff. Hoping for some decent competitors to the Nexus asap - why aren't other companies offering on screen buttons (home, back menu or w/e) like the Nexus - all the leaks pictures still appear to show proper buttons :/

GommeInc
24-01-2012, 11:36 PM
The problem with Samsung is I am not a massive fan of the iOS layout, and they successfully make it even worse. I just want a clean system of Android before having to root and install custom stuff. Hoping for some decent competitors to the Nexus asap - why aren't other companies offering on screen buttons (home, back menu or w/e) like the Nexus - all the leaks pictures still appear to show proper buttons :/
One can't help but think it's because it is a gimmick for now - not a necessity. Some people simply prefer buttons, and it doesn't really add anything to the phone experience.

AgnesIO
24-01-2012, 11:50 PM
One can't help but think it's because it is a gimmick for now - not a necessity. Some people simply prefer buttons, and it doesn't really add anything to the phone experience.

It makes the phone look sexy :P

GommeInc
25-01-2012, 12:26 PM
It makes the phone look sexy :P
Not everyone wants a sexy wife, some want one that's practical and gets the job done ;)

AgnesIO
25-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Not everyone wants a sexy wife, some want one that's practical and gets the job done ;)

On screen buttons do both ;)

Recursion
28-01-2012, 10:11 AM
See, I'm different, I prefer the hardware buttons so they're not taking up precious screen real estate! :P

And I'm not sure, Samsung's Touchwiz UI is very nice, it might not be everyone's cup of tea though... I recently went back from a stock ROM to Touchwiz in fact haha

AgnesIO
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Samsung Galaxy SIII being released at its own event in the first half of 2012.

AgnesIO
02-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Everyone wanted an iPhone 5. Apple gave us the iPhone 4S.
Everyone wanted a Galaxy SIII. Samsung are giving us the Galaxy SII+.

GommeInc
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Everyone wanted an iPhone 5. Apple gave us the iPhone 4S.
Everyone wanted a Galaxy SIII. Samsung are giving us the Galaxy SII+.
Are they not just names? Everyone is stupid, the SII+ is just a Galaxy SIII and the iPhone 4S is just an iPhone 5... Is it really that big a deal to everyone? :P

AgnesIO
02-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Are they not just names? Everyone is stupid, the SII+ is just a Galaxy SIII and the iPhone 4S is just an iPhone 5... Is it really that big a deal to everyone? :P

Not really. An SII+ basically means "minor upgrade not worthy of being given an entire new name" - a bit likw Windows 7 SP1 rather than Windows 8..

Recursion
02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Not really. An SII+ basically means "minor upgrade not worthy of being given an entire new name" - a bit likw Windows 7 SP1 rather than Windows 8..

Wait, is the SII+ replacing the SIII?

The SIII was gonna be a mahooooosive update in terms of raw performance.

AgnesIO
02-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Wait, is the SII+ replacing the SIII?

The SIII was gonna be a mahooooosive update in terms of raw performance.

The SII+ will probably be what is released at MWC2012, if we are to believe the article (linked below).

Sounds like the SII just with a speed upgrade, probably not 4.0 or something, with the SIII being 4.0, for a June announcement?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/02/is-this-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-plus-leaked-benchmarks-suggest/

Recursion
02-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Samsung already confirmed 4.0 for the S2, it'd be silly to release an S2+ or even S3 without 4.0 at this stage.

xxMATTGxx
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM

So an iPhone 5 is really an iPhone 6? :P

AgnesIO
02-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Samsung already confirmed 4.0 for the S2, it'd be silly to release an S2+ or even S3 without 4.0 at this stage.

If anything perhaps an SII+ with Ics before the SII? Not sure, but I hate buying phones that are basically "half way in between two versions".

Delaying getting a new phone until I see something really worth while (Quad core maybe, on the basis I doubt phones will go above quad core in the next couple of years?)

Eoin247
08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
From what i've been reading online, it seems that there aren't gonna be as many big announcements/revelations at the MWC as i thought there would be. I'm hoping to see some quad core android devices that will be around before summer.

AgnesIO
08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
From what i've been reading online, it seems that there aren't gonna be as many big announcements/revelations at the MWC as i thought there would be. I'm hoping to see some quad core android devices that will be around before summer.

Companies would be mad to not get out the Android 4.0, possible quad core devices - at least one, or they are instantly putting themselves behind other manufacturers.

Eoin247
08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Companies would be mad to not get out the Android 4.0, possible quad core devices - at least one, or they are instantly putting themselves behind other manufacturers.

True, and it continues to surprise me how most of the android products released recently and going to be released soon are still using previous versions! I think that ICS bringing tablets and phones together is really going to help android gain some ground on IOS with regards to apps (The only thing IOS has over android might i add)

GommeInc
08-02-2012, 06:33 PM
True, and it continues to surprise me how most of the android products released recently and going to be released soon are still using previous versions! I think that ICS bringing tablets and phones together is really going to help android gain some ground on IOS with regards to apps (The only thing IOS has over android might i add)
Indeed, it's shocking that ICS is not the standard Android OS on new and old devices. Android devices are always criticised for not being up to date with current standards, and are generally left behind. All these different manufacturers really should kick it up a gear, by getting more involved with Google about the OS and making sure any current devices are able to be updated for a good few years at least.

xxMATTGxx
08-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Windows 8 will be talked about at the congress as well with the launch of the "Consumer Preview" aka "Beta".

Microsoft revealed today that it plans to launch the highly anticipated "Consumer Preview" version of Windows 8 on February 29th. The company will hold an event at Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona on February 29th to launch the Windows 8 Consumer Preview between 3PM and 5PM (CET). The unusual choice of venue (a cellphone conference) could hint at the company's plans for the future of Windows 8 and Windows Phone.

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/8/2784724/windows-8-consumer-preview-february-29th

AgnesIO
09-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Windows 8 will be talked about at the congress as well with the launch of the "Consumer Preview" aka "Beta".

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/8/2784724/windows-8-consumer-preview-february-29th

Saw this haha. After using the Developer Preview, I won't bother going to W8 until the official release. Didn't offer anything for my PC - prefer Windows 7 right now. Also, I have alredy used my SSD's..

Nevertheless, it is good to see a BETA coming though, means we are moving ever closer to a full release!

AgnesIO
26-02-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/26/htc-one-x-announced-at-mwc-2012/
wow..

GommeInc
26-02-2012, 09:56 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/26/htc-one-x-announced-at-mwc-2012/
wow..
Pretty nice phone, HTC need to do a lot to stay in the game now and hopefully this will show the world they still mean business. Samsung has taken the limelight from HTC.

AgnesIO
26-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Pretty nice phone, HTC need to do a lot to stay in the game now and hopefully this will show the world they still mean business. Samsung has taken the limelight from HTC.

My concern is that until the UK gets 4G, we are going to lag behind on the quality of handsets, nevermind internet speeds.

There are thrre "one" series phones, cheap/average/expensive

samsaBEAR
27-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I was going to get the Galaxy Nexus or one of the higher end Sensations, but now I'm definitely going to upgrade to the HTC One X, what a gorgeous phone

AgnesIO
27-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I was going to get the Galaxy Nexus or one of the higher end Sensations, but now I'm definitely going to upgrade to the HTC One X, what a gorgeous phone

Spot on :D

http://tinyurl.com/75msgaa

Thhe start of the UK provider announcements, T-Mobile to get the One X I hope.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!