PDA

View Full Version : Etta James: Soul legend dies in California

Jurv
21-01-2012, 12:41 AM
US soul singer Etta James, best known for the tracks At Last and for I'd Rather Go Blind, has died aged 73.

It was announced last year that the singer had been diagnosed with leukaemia and was undergoing treatment.

The star began singing in a group aged 14, before she embarked upon a solo career where she signed to the legendary Chess Records label.

She went on to win six Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.

Legendary producer Jerry Wexler once called her "the greatest of all modern blues singers".

The singer died from complications of leukaemia
James' manager said she died at Riverside Community Hospital in California with her husband and sons at her side.

"It's a tremendous loss for her fans around the world," Lupe De Leon said. "She'll be missed. A great American singer. Her music defied category."

Singers have paid tribute to the star on Twitter. Bryan Adams wrote "Etta James... one of the best voices of all time... RIP".

Songwriter Nile Rodgers added: "When I was a kid, I remember walking all the way to Flash Record Shop in LA to buy a 45rpm single by Etta James. RIP."

British singer Adele has often cited James as an influence, and wrote an article praising her for The Observer in 2010.

"Everything she sings - you believe her, even if she never wrote a word of it herself. I saw her live in New York not so long ago: Extraordinary."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16288509

GommeInc
21-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Her song 'At Last' is very powerful, it's a name you do not know of until you search for it and hear her songs. I think At Last featured in an M&S advert which may be familiar to some of us on here. She has quite a good voice and as always it is a shame to see anyone with talent pass away, but she lived a very good life.

FlyingJesus
21-01-2012, 01:03 AM
She is fab but I did have to laugh when someone on facebook earlier posted "Etta James has died!" and a link to "At Last" accompanying it, just seemed like a harsh lyric to go with that statement. Nevertheless she was totes amazing vocally, and it's good to know that she was still singing right up to the end. RIP

Judas
21-01-2012, 01:18 AM
An absolute legend. I have to say I was dreading this day since it was first known she was very ill... But I suppose that is life and she won't be forgotten. RIP

-:Undertaker:-
21-01-2012, 05:15 AM
What a talented singer, puts todays 'singers' to shame.

RIP x

GommeInc
21-01-2012, 01:54 PM
She is fab but I did have to laugh when someone on facebook earlier posted "Etta James has died!" and a link to "At Last" accompanying it, just seemed like a harsh lyric to go with that statement. Nevertheless she was totes amazing vocally, and it's good to know that she was still singing right up to the end. RIP
I can see it happening when John Deacon dies - people accompanying the announcement with 'Another One Bites The Dust' :P It's one of the problems being a singer/song writer, the best way to pay tribute is by using a popular song and unfortunately At Last is the most recent one for her.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!