PDA

View Full Version : Jagex wins lawsuit

scottish
21-01-2012, 02:45 AM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=724483

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/g=runescape/forums.ws?14,15,101,63523926

Quick find code: 14-15-101-63523926

As Jagex announced back in October, they were in a lawsuit against "Impulse Software", creators of iBot. They are notorious for their bot developments, even after Jagex's latest efforts in removing them from the game. This lawsuit in particular has been going on since February 2010.

Needless to say, they develop many different bots with different names, many of them are well known within the community and are very disruptive. The latest bot nuke has rendered their technology useless.

It does not end there, though. Jagex took them to court; and WON. This court case has been going on for a long period of time now, and I am very happy to hear Jagex has been victorious in their battle against bots.

The lawsuit was held in the "UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT, DISTRICT OF MASSACHUSETTS, BOSTON DIVISION".

Jagex has demanded with their lawsuit that they release an apology letter, as shown below.

"We've been involved involved in a lawsuit with Jagex in the US regarding the legality of this software and our actions for the last two years.

Recently, judgement was entered in Jagex's favour at court on every court in the case. We have to pay Jagex a significant sum of money, although we are not allowed to say exactly how much for legal reasons. We are also prevented by injunction from doing a number of things in the future, including developing botting software, helping other people develop or use botting software or talking about Jagex, the lawsuit or RuneScape. If we breach any of the conditions of the injunction (such as by devleoping new bot software or helping people cheat in RuneScape), we would have to pay Jagex at least *1,000,000.

Throughout the court of this lawsuit, we've come to understand the harm that botting does to RuneScape and Jagex. We'd like to apologize to Jagex and to all legitimate RuneScape players for the damage and harm iBOT has done.

In the next few weeks, our websites, domains, code and customer details will be passed over to Jagex along with the details of all those people who we know have devleoped scripts for iBOT and sold or re-sold those scripts."

6. This Court permanently enjoins Defendants and those persons or companies
in active concert or participation with Defendants who receive actual notice of this Order by personal service or otherwise from:
i. Circumventing under the DMCA of any game owned, developed, or
published by Jagex, now or in the future (“Jagex Game”);
ii. Trafficking under the DMCA regarding any Jagex Game;
iii. Botting in any Jagex Game;
iv. Attempting to reverse engineer or circumvent any protective measure(s) in
any Jagex Game;
v. Providing any assistance or instructions to anyone attempting to reverse
engineer or circumvent any protective measure(s) in any Jagex Game;
vi. Interfering in Jagex’s contractual relations with users of any Jagex Game,
including restricting the Defendants from performing software
development, sales, consulting, or having involvement in any way with
any software that interacts with any Jagex Game;
vii. Playing any Jagex Game;
viii. Creating, maintaining, assisting, or providing any advice or technical
instruction to any third party with respect to any Jagex Game including,
but not limited to, any software development, code release, website
development or maintenance, botting, cheating, gold farming or otherwise
violating any Terms of Service for any Jagex Game;
ix. Publicly disclosing, or disclosing to any party, any portion of the source
code for any of Defendants’ bots; and
x. Making any written or **** statement(s), comment(s), press release(s), or
Internet post(s) referring or relating to this litigation, this Order,
RuneScape, Jagex, or responding to anything Jagex states or discloses in
the future regarding Defendants or any of the foregoing.

8. Defendants shall transfer to Jagex—within 10 days of entry of this Order—
any and all document(*), writing(s), or recording(s) as defined under Fed. R. Civ. P. 34(a) or
Fed. R. Evid. 1001 that relate to Defendants’ bots including, but not limited to, source code,
scripts, development documents, manuals, instructions, and copies of any of the foregoing."

Grig
21-01-2012, 05:01 PM
wait, so people who botted actually need to testify now?

That would be quite interesting. Although wonder why they didn't do it ages ago when then problem first cropped up on their what is now the classic game.

Eoin247
21-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Interesting develpoement. I cannot see it stopping botting completely but it will hinder it nonetheless.

Inseriousity.
21-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh interesting. I'm sure that's put a rocket up the pants of the bot owners/users. Hopefully it'll mean some will stay away although I did notice a lot of them in sorceress' garden the other day so they're definitely creeping up again.

Alex3213
21-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh interesting. I'm sure that's put a rocket up the pants of the bot owners/users. Hopefully it'll mean some will stay away although I did notice a lot of them in sorceress' garden the other day so they're definitely creeping up again.

Yes they've been creeping up for a while now I've noticed. Can't remember the exact activity I did but a few months ago when I attempted to SG with you there were a few bots there!

Oleh
21-01-2012, 06:37 PM
In the next few weeks, our websites, domains, code and customer details will be passed over to Jagex along with the details of all those people who we know have devleoped scripts for iBOT and sold or re-sold those scripts."

What will Jagex do with the customer details?

Zak
24-01-2012, 01:37 PM
It's nice to see Jagex tackling the problem of bots more. But I feel the damage was done, many people botted those hard skills (RC,Mining,Agility) to 99 with the software and they aren't banned. I wish you couldn't cheat on Runescape full stop, it ruins the game for all these legit players who spend their effort and time developing these skills.

Meowingtons
25-01-2012, 07:59 PM
What will Jagex do with the customer details?

Use them most likely.

scottish
25-01-2012, 08:26 PM
this was given from impulse lol
http://i39.tinypic.com/6pw7q0.jpg

GommeInc
25-01-2012, 11:12 PM
What did they expect? You damage another company therefore you must pay the price. Completely deserved it, and I can't believe nothing came of this sooner.

EDIT: Is it even legal for Jagex to use the details of Impulse? I'm sure that's a breach of privacy. Usually you can only use the details of another site or company when you have bought it and the courts or customers agree to have their information shared. It depends if ALL the people who registered with it actually used Bots on Runescape, it would be wrong of them to punish users who never used them.

efq
25-01-2012, 11:35 PM
owned, talk about jagex and BAM $1,000,000 fine.

imagine someone trying to start a discussion about runescape to them, they'd be bricking it lmao.

JerseySafety
28-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Haha gf gojagex

Grimmauld
01-02-2012, 03:44 AM
looks like a good game of jagex :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!