PDA

View Full Version : New Pc Build, Windows 7?

9y
22-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, I've just sorted my new pc build but I'm not sure about Windows 7. I got an upgrade disc from Windows when it was on a student offer. Does anyone know if there are any student offers on windows 7 at the moment, Will an upgrade disc work without having a OS at all on my new build? Should I just buy a new copy or try and install my upgrade copy?

Thanks,

Scott xo

Chippiewill
22-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Upgrade disc does nothing without an OS to upgrade. I believe that with Win7 you can upgrade the trial somehow and that there are certain *ways* to use an upgrade disc as a normal install disc.

I'd recommend getting a new copy though.

GommeInc
22-01-2012, 01:41 PM
The upgrade disc will work. You install the OS by inserting the disc - when it says type of installation you selected "Custom", not "Upgrade" and do not insert the serial code when it asks. Then you let it install. When it's done it should say something like "The version you have installed is incorrect, disc is an Upgrade disc only". After it's had a rant re-install by inserting the disc and instead of clicking "Custom" you click "Upgrade". When you're prompted about a serial code number, make sure you install it this time round. The installer will assume you're upgrading Windows 7 with Windows 7, and afterwards it should work.

I've done it about 3 or 4 times now.

ben
22-01-2012, 02:58 PM
GommeInc is right, done it two days ago and it worked

9y
22-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Sweet, Ty all. Reppin yall xo

Chippiewill
22-01-2012, 03:32 PM
The upgrade disc will work. You install the OS by inserting the disc - when it says type of installation you selected "Custom", not "Upgrade" and do not insert the serial code when it asks. Then you let it install. When it's done it should say something like "The version you have installed is incorrect, disc is an Upgrade disc only". After it's had a rant re-install by inserting the disc and instead of clicking "Custom" you click "Upgrade". When you're prompted about a serial code number, make sure you install it this time round. The installer will assume you're upgrading Windows 7 with Windows 7, and afterwards it should work.

I've done it about 3 or 4 times now.

That was the one I was thinking of, I forgot that you could directly custom install from the upgrade media.

Recursion
22-01-2012, 05:19 PM
That was the one I was thinking of, I forgot that you could directly custom install from the upgrade media.

All 32bit and 64bit media are the same, aside from licensing (Enterprise, VLK, OEM, Retail).

Chippiewill
22-01-2012, 07:46 PM
All 32bit and 64bit media are the same, aside from licensing (Enterprise, VLK, OEM, Retail).

Yeah, I was incorrectly remembering which media is different., it's just the OEM which can't do upgrade (I think?)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!