PDA

View Full Version : EU Iran sanctions: Ministers adopt Iran oil imports ban

Chippiewill
25-01-2012, 07:49 PM
European Union foreign ministers have formally adopted an "unprecedented" oil embargo against Iran over its nuclear programme, banning all new oil contracts with the country.

They also agreed a freeze on the assets of Iran's central bank in the EU.

The EU currently buys about 20% of Iran's oil exports.

There was no official Iranian reaction, but one Iranian lawmaker played down the decision, calling it a "mere propaganda gesture".

Iran had "failed to restore international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear programme", British Prime Minister David Cameron, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel said in a joint statement.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16674660

It seems like the EU is trying to force Iran's hand and that this will only spark a whole series of problems down the line. I also believe that the EU really is overstepping it's mark as the once economic union, who is the EU to say where we get out oil from?

Thoughts?

GommeInc
25-01-2012, 09:18 PM
So much for free trade by the EU :P They're just being playground bullies, Iran can have a nuclear programme if it wants - the EU and most of the developed world have a few swimming around.

GirlNextDoor15
26-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Iran can have its nuclear weapon as long as it doesn't harm other countries. And I think EU is obviously trying to get something out of this big mess. heyyyy it sounds like some international conspiracy

jasey
10-02-2012, 04:06 AM
I think this is a good move on the European Union's part. Iran is an unstable country and if there is even small cause to worry about their capability to produce nuclear weapons then sanctions should be taken for the greater safety of the world. I don't even know if I trust my own nation, France, as being able to handle the responsibility of being one of the five 'Nuclear Weapon States'. For those who don't know, those five are America, Russia, China, The United Kingdom and France.

GommeInc
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I think this is a good move on the European Union's part. Iran is an unstable country and if there is even small cause to worry about their capability to produce nuclear weapons then sanctions should be taken for the greater safety of the world. I don't even know if I trust my own nation, France, as being able to handle the responsibility of being one of the five 'Nuclear Weapon States'. For those who don't know, those five are America, Russia, China, The United Kingdom and France.
Is the UK still a member? I thought we got rid of a load of ours :P I'm not too convinced these actions are going to benefit everyone. I personally feel the way we treat Iran is part of the reason it is unstable in the first place. You do not isolate a country to make a point, it only makes hate grow.

jasey
10-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Is the UK still a member? I thought we got rid of a load of ours :P I'm not too convinced these actions are going to benefit everyone. I personally feel the way we treat Iran is part of the reason it is unstable in the first place. You do not isolate a country to make a point, it only makes hate grow.

Yeah, the UK is still considered one of the official 'Nuclear Weapon States'. Granted, you are totally right - the UK has less nuclear weapons than America, France or Russia, for example. Russia has the most active warheads. China and the UK bring up the rear so I applaud the UK on being so committed to peace or at least less destruction. I wish my own country would follow suit. I remember that our old President threatened that any country who does a major terrorist act on French ground or uses a WMD against us will get a nuclear response. I think that is really, really irresponsible. Anyways, I don't mean to blather.

If you take a look at the freedoms and liberties extended to Iranians in the 1970s compared to now the changes are upsetting and drastic. I don't believe that the leader of Iran (and I still wonder about any leader of any country) has the right mindset to be a nation with a bustling nuclear program. He has made some very extremist and intolerant remarks on a public spectrum in the past and I believe that we should be afraid of what he supports. You make a good point, though. Perhaps we isolate certain countries too much.

-:Undertaker:-
10-02-2012, 09:30 PM
@mdna

Since when was Iran declared a colony of any one of the powers you have listed? we have no sovereignty over Iran nor do we offically claim it, therefore whether they develop a nuclear weapon, ten nuclear weapons or thousands like the United States is absolutely none of our business whether we like it or not. Besides, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see why Iran may be attempting to build nuclear weapons; its neighbour Israel has nuclear weapons, its being constantly threatened with military action by NATO and its having trade embargos placed upon it which have destablised its currency. The term used to describe this is blowback, its a reality.

If you take a look at the freedoms and liberties extended to Iranians in the 1970s compared to now the changes are upsetting and drastic.

Oh this cannot be a serious point, surely not? See the SAVAK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAVAK).

Chippiewill
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Is the UK still a member? I thought we got rid of a load of ours :P.We've still got a lot, it's difficult to just get rid of all of them due to the fact that because you're assessed as a potential future threat and are understood to have the ability to build nuclear weapons that getting rid of your nuclear weapons might, ironically, provoke an attack.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!