PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a car

GoldenMerc
03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Im needing to hire a car, for 1-3 months, As this claim is going to take a wee while. I've got a clean licence, 2 years been driving now. 2 years no claims too, im 20, which is why im coming into troubles hiring a car, hertz or something do it, but only if your at college...
Any suggestions?
Ross

danzooo
04-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Dunno if they do it where you live, but in Edinburgh they have the City Car Club scheme, which basically allows you to use any of the "city car club" branded cars anywhere around the city, you can book the use of any car in advance for as long as you like, "log in" to the car using it's keypad, gain access to the keys and drive off

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/

J0SH
04-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Europcar
Sixt Rent A Car

Did you try these companies?

Catzsy
04-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Could you not just buy a banger for now and then sell when the claim is sorted. Might be cheaper or get a scooter or something? :P Most companies also insist on hirers being 21+ too.

GoldenMerc
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Dunno if they do it where you live, but in Edinburgh they have the City Car Club scheme, which basically allows you to use any of the "city car club" branded cars anywhere around the city, you can book the use of any car in advance for as long as you like, "log in" to the car using it's keypad, gain access to the keys and drive off

http://www.citycarclub.co.uk/
Nope, cheers for the link will check it out

Europcar
Sixt Rent A Car

Did you try these companies?
Nope will do!

Could you not just buy a banger for now and then sell when the claim is sorted. Might be cheaper or get a scooter or something? :P Most companies also insist on hirers being 21+ too.
Mum gets the money back for loaning a car, not for buying one :(

tdi
04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
It's usually 21. You're gonna have to borrow a car off a friend or buy something cheap. I bought an E30 for £350, used it for a few months and sold it for £500.

Also, are you sure your mum will get the money back for renting a car if it's in your name? (I'm presuming that it's through a business or something?)

GoldenMerc
04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
It's usually 21. You're gonna have to borrow a car off a friend or buy something cheap. I bought an E30 for £350, used it for a few months and sold it for £500.

Also, are you sure your mum will get the money back for renting a car if it's in your name? (I'm presuming that it's through a business or something?)
As the bus crashed into me and i was stationary, Im 100% sure il win the case, Unfortuantly they are saying other wise and have refused liability. But they have said on the phone if i win they will pay my expences while i havent had a car. I don't think my mum will risk buying me another car though, specially not while its snowing atleast :P. I've found a nice Mr2 that im most likely going to buy when i get paid, but im unsure of when il be going to court heck if it ever gets there

J0SH
04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't your insurance give you a courtesy car? If you're going to be paying x amount per week for 3 months, will probably total like £1200 let's say just buy a cheap £400 car and insure it lol then you can scrap it after or something, then atleast you own another car :P

GoldenMerc
04-02-2012, 07:57 PM
No as im only 3rd party, even so i asked if i upgraded now to fully comp and they said im too young lol

tdi
04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
There's no point being 3rd party, for the sake of a couple of hundred you get so much more.

GoldenMerc
04-02-2012, 11:05 PM
My insurance is a lot at the moment, at the time i had no real choice, i was considering going up to fully comp a few weeks earlier.

danzooo
06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
No as im only 3rd party, even so i asked if i upgraded now to fully comp and they said im too young lol

How can you be too young to be fully comp? I've been fully comp on my insurance since I passed my test when I was 17

GoldenMerc
06-02-2012, 06:34 PM
My cars a 1.8 lol, Its about £300-400 more.

redtom
09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure your screwed as your under 21, buying a bangor and then insuring it for a couple of months wouldn't be worth it. Start saving your bus and train tickets then send them all to the insurance company at the end? :P

GoldenMerc
09-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure your screwed as your under 21, buying a bangor and then insuring it for a couple of months wouldn't be worth it. Start saving your bus and train tickets then send them all to the insurance company at the end? :P
Said iv got a taxi for 2 weeks, got taxi number hes said its cool. lets hope they allow it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!