PDA

View Full Version : Have quick saves ruined the fun and challenge of gaming?

peteyt
06-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I was playing an old game Max Payne (the first) on the PC. I used to have it for the PS2 many years back and while it was a fun game I remember some parts even with the bullet time mode activated being a little tricky.

It made me wonder, does the ability to always be able to quick save any time you feel like it take part of the challenge out of gaming. I remember when if you died you had to go back to the start of the level or you'd have certain save points. Now that doesn't matter as you can save any time you feel like it.

And I'm a sucker for it - I'll not want to loose any health at all so I'll often save/re-load just so I can kill whoever without loosing anything. Maybe I'm the only one who does this though?

dbgtz
06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, sort of. Sometimes I only want to play a game casually so having to start from the beginning really annoys me, but then because of this I never find a game which is really hard to play. I think also the game needs to not feel repetitive to have this.

peteyt
06-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Well, sort of. Sometimes I only want to play a game casually so having to start from the beginning really annoys me, but then because of this I never find a game which is really hard to play. I think also the game needs to not feel repetitive to have this.

Yeahrepetitivenesscan be a pain but a lot of games do have checkpoints and stuff (or they did). I don't mind them, its when your able to save all the time - the thing is I'll use it if it's there, it's kind of hard not to.

samsaBEAR
13-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I dislike games that don't have quick save feature, if I get up earlier than usual for work, and I've got a spare thirty minutes to play, I want to be able to save any progress I've made, rather than have to start again should my time run out before the next save point. I've not finished games because they lack this sort of option, it really grinds my gears

peteyt
13-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I dislike games that don't have quick save feature, if I get up earlier than usual for work, and I've got a spare thirty minutes to play, I want to be able to save any progress I've made, rather than have to start again should my time run out before the next save point. I've not finished games because they lack this sort of option, it really grinds my gears

I agree with that part it is handy - I'll quick save a game if I have to go out or for tea, work etc. The only problem is I find because it's there I use it too much.

Empired
13-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I can totally see why it's annoying though. Because although it makes things a lot quicker and you can just pick up the game where you last left it and stops you having to repeat things trillions of times, it certainly does seem to take away the excitement..

I guess it depends on what sort of a gamer you are.. After all, it's your choice whether or not you use the quick save option. Just because it's there doesn't necessarily mean you have to use it.Just ignore the quick save button or something if it bugs you that much :S

Cerys
14-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Well, I play rayman origins on the xbox alot (its fun LOL), and you have to start at the beginning of the level if you die. If you start at the middle of the level because you quick saved it, it'd make the game rubbish becuase you'd be out of 'rhythm' on that level.

But on some games, eg some of the really early final fantasies, it'd be really bad to start at the beginning of the level/game because you'd have to take ages to do it all again, and if you get stuck on a certain part, the bits before that would get really repetetive and boring because you'd have to constantly re-do them, making you lose interest in the game :3

It really depends on which game it is, to determin if quicksave is good.

Empired
14-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, I play rayman origins on the xbox alot (its fun LOL), and you have to start at the beginning of the level if you die. If you start at the middle of the level because you quick saved it, it'd make the game rubbish becuase you'd be out of 'rhythm' on that level.

But on some games, eg some of the really early final fantasies, it'd be really bad to start at the beginning of the level/game because you'd have to take ages to do it all again, and if you get stuck on a certain part, the bits before that would get really repetetive and boring because you'd have to constantly re-do them, making you lose interest in the game :3

It really depends on which game it is, to determin if quicksave is good.
I agree tbh, it really depends on the type of person you are and what sort of game it is.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!