PDA

View Full Version : New stacking method woo

LoveToStack
14-02-2012, 05:54 PM
I figured this out a couple weeks ago and it makes some new things possible. The main things it can be used for are:

1) Stacking several 2(or more)x1 divider items in the corner of a room then merging more divider items into them.
2) Stacking large items in the corner of a room where they usually occupy tiles which rollers can't access (think anything 2x2 or larger) as well stacking items which were before completely off limits (for example you could stack 2 or more T-Rex statues or Epic Fireplaces now if you wanted to).

I'll run through an example of the first stack mentioned above and then intuition should let you understand how the method works and you'll know how to do the second one. I'll also assume for convenience sake that everyone knows how to stack sofas and dividers because the guide utilizes both (also it seems likely that it will only be useful for people who know their stuff anyway).

1) First stack all the items you want on one side of your stack in the corner as you normally would. Here, I've used bookcases. Of course it works for any divider. At this point I should mention it does not work for sofas or any variant thereof due to how it works.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2s7do5k.jpg

2) Once you've got all the dividers you want on one side, roll a chair onto the square you want to add things to later. Since I'll be merging more bookcases into the corner square, I've rolled a pod onto the corner square. Once your chair is rolled in, remove any ditches that are underneath the pod. At this point it is also worth your while resetting the height of the other side of the stack if you want to add a rug / carpet underneath (which I will be doing of course because I'm a classy mother******).

http://oi41.tinypic.com/i2onwl.jpg

3) Now the new stuff comes into play. First, take note of how many more dividers you are going to be adding in. In my case, I'll be adding 2 more bookcases: one at ground level, and one on top of that. Now I need to roll a tile onto the pod. Do so as you normally would for sofa stacking. Technically speaking this tile just needs to be higher than the pod for it to work, but I prefer to do it high up so I can see it and it's easier to remove later. Once the tile is in, now roll in a table item at the height you want the highest item of your stack to be at. So here, I've rolled a ditch in at the height I want my highest bookcase to merge in at.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2zhmvpw.jpg

4) Now roll a second tile onto the pod, but this time at a lower height than the first one. Then roll a second table item in, this time at the height you want your next lowest item at (for me it's my ground height bookcase so I'll be rolling in a ground-level ditch). You can't see my ditch here because it's behind the pod, but it's there.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/qq69mq.jpg

5) Now, for reasons I can't be bothered explaining (they'll become intuitive as you play around with the method but in this case it's because I want to use a big rug) you have to repeat some steps again, this time on the other square that's beside the pod. Put another chair down next to the corner square, and roll another tile high up onto it. Then roll another table item onto this new chair, again at the height you want your highest item to go on at.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/20pdiqo.jpg

6) Now do the same as you did before: add another tile but lower than the first one, then add a second table item, this time where you want your next item to be.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2d0yip5.jpg

7) That's all the hard parts out of the way. At this point, you can add your rug. If you hadn't done steps 5&6 then you wouldn't have been able to put any size rug on. You would have only been able to use a 2x2 rug. Once you've added your rug/carpet/patch, put your bottom item on top of the rug. It will go in as if all the other furni wasn't there.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/vo38t3.jpg

8) Once that's done, you now need to carefully remove the LOWEST tiles from the squares which have chairs on them. For me, that's my orange color tile and my marble tile that is partially obscured by the skull candle. Once you remove these lower tiles, you will be able to place your second divider right on top of the first without any resistance.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/10gn3no.jpg

9) At this point, you're stack is done and you can remove all of the tiles, ditches (or other table items) and chairs.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/264jh2q.jpg

And there you go.

Kyle
14-02-2012, 06:01 PM
great guide, have missed these.

Ellz
14-02-2012, 06:02 PM
well done for figuring this out +rep personally i dont understand it at all :/

Mr-Trainor
14-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I stopped reading after the second stage :P, but I'll definitely come here if I decide to build another room and want to stack in this way :D. Great guides as always from you, +rep :).

Lewis
14-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Brilliant guide, however this is not new :P. It's been around for a while!

LoveToStack
14-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Brilliant guide, however this is not new :P. It's been around for a while!

The final product maybe, but the method is new as far as I know. The two people I know who were capable of doing it both used a method which is now defunct.

Lewis
14-02-2012, 06:45 PM
The final product maybe, but the method is new as far as I know. The two people I know who were capable of doing it both used a method which is now defunct.

hmm ok, but I did this kind of stack a few weeks ago, perhaps a different method :), can't remember ahaha

Zelda
14-02-2012, 06:46 PM
This method is as old as skamanfa.....

LoveToStack
14-02-2012, 07:00 PM
hmm ok, but I did this kind of stack a few weeks ago, perhaps a different method :), can't remember ahaha

This method is as old as skamanfa.....

I'm quite confident it's new as I keep up to date on these things. There's no evidence of anyone else having known of it. The only thing which comes close is dunke's video which works for 4 dividers only which I used as a jumping off point. So he deserves much credit for that.

jasey
14-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Very brilliant! Congrats on finding and thank you for the guide.

Zelda
14-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm quite confident it's new as I keep up to date on these things. There's no evidence of anyone else having known of it. The only thing which comes close is dunke's video which works for 4 dividers only which I used as a jumping off point. So he deserves much credit for that.

Na mate some of us known that for ages, me , Sam, Rubus etc.

---------- Post added 14-02-2012 at 09:53 PM ----------

Plus that joint American forgotten his name has had one of those stacks with hcs for like ever since the new sod stack came

LoveToStack
14-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Strange that there are no examples of it in any recent rooms then. I wouldn't have any issue with it if there were examples of it but there are none to be seen. What accounts are these people on?

The only people I've seen with examples of things in a corner are BackRoads and Cannonman, both of whom did their stacks literally years ago with a now defunct method which I mentioned before.

Zelda
14-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Yea there's been plenty of examples of it if you actually indulge in walking around the rooms of designers, + no-one in their right mind shares these things to the public anyway ai often it will seem new.

LoveToStack
14-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Yea there's been plenty of examples of it if you actually indulge in walking around the rooms of designers, + no-one in their right mind shares these things to the public anyway ai often it will seem new.

I'll gladly take a look at some rooms if you don't mind giving away account names.

I have absolutely nothing to lose from giving methods away and everything to gain. The more people know about it, the more people can experiment and make more progress. There are few enough people already who know how to do anything beyond basic stuff when it comes to stacking so people on the cutting edge keeping their anuses clenched tight and withholding any new discoveries for the sake of a slight upperhand is just a farce. Collaboration is the way forward.

Zelda
15-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I'll gladly take a look at some rooms if you don't mind giving away account names.

I have absolutely nothing to lose from giving methods away and everything to gain. The more people know about it, the more people can experiment and make more progress. There are few enough people already who know how to do anything beyond basic stuff when it comes to stacking so people on the cutting edge keeping their anuses clenched tight and withholding any new discoveries for the sake of a slight upperhand is just a farce. Collaboration is the way forward.

Personally don't agree myself, if everyone knew stacks, 1) there would be nothing special about the method. Anymore, 2) absolutely no buisness in drooling stacking methods or selling your stacking abilities left, after all stacks look much more interesting and "pro" if they arent ones everyone can do,

Succubus
15-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Fantastic, even though I don't do room building myself I found it easy to understand and it looks good to try out :)

orientalframe?
15-02-2012, 09:48 AM
brilliant guide, i didn't read all of it but as far as i know i've never seen the method before. very well done :)

twinart
15-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow, nice guide. Thanks!

LoveToStack
15-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Personally don't agree myself, if everyone knew stacks, 1) there would be nothing special about the method. Anymore, 2) absolutely no buisness in drooling stacking methods or selling your stacking abilities left, after all stacks look much more interesting and "pro" if they arent ones everyone can do,

Fair dues, I know you're certainly not alone in your opinion that withholding information which you were given for free somehow makes you a better stacker than someone who didn't have the luck of knowing the right person to be given the same information for free.

That said, people of that mindset are usually quick to display their abilities. It strikes me as odd that someone as keen to keep up appearances as "pro" would have absolutely no evidence of any stacking ability in any of their rooms. Generally if people want to garner any respect as a decent stacker, there is some spec of evidence at least that they are capable. Rather than just empty words. What reputation is there to upkeep by withholding stacks if no one has any reason to believe you can do anything special in the first place?

-Billy
15-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Nice tut, +rep!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!