PDA

View Full Version : [+22] Desktop Problem

Richie
15-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey,
If anyone can help me solve my problem or know what may be the computers problem i will +rep. My computer is perfectly fine but sometimes when i switch it off and turn it back on i get a black screen. No bleeps, no picture, no error, everything is the same besides the picture displaying. I have contacted dell and they're useless. They get me to do a bunch of things that get it fixed for a small period of time but happens again. I noticed when i wiggle the modem slightly it usually just fixes. This problem never happens when I'm on my computer only when it gets switched off and turned back on. I have updated my bios etc and it still is a problem. I thought it may be the graphics card is loose but it isn't, the card is firmly in place and a problem like that should give me bleeps and shouldn't only happen when i restart.

Obviously this could be a number of things but I know you all are a bunch of computer wizs so perhaps you can help.

Cheers,
Richie.

Recursion
15-02-2012, 11:07 PM
My bet is either the motherboard or graphics card. Have you got a friend or someone you could potentially borrow a graphics card from to test?

Richie
15-02-2012, 11:13 PM
My bet is either the motherboard or graphics card. Have you got a friend or someone you could potentially borrow a graphics card from to test?

Na pal they all have laptops. When i was on the phone to dell they asked me to remove the graphics card but the graphics card wouldn't come out, there is like a zip type mechanism on one side but not one on the side facing the back of the modem, it's strange. Any ideas?

Lee
21-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Did you sort this?

RealClifford
24-02-2012, 12:26 AM
My only thinking here is it has to be a motherboard issue or a graphic's card issue.
Is it giving you anything at all when turning it off and then on again or just black screen completely?

Check that the RAM is in correctly as you never know. I have had people build PC's and not input the RAM correctly which can cause this type of issue.
Another idea could possibly be the CPU. I assume it has a cooler on it so take that cooler unit off pull the cpu out and put it back in making sure it is in firmly and correctly. (This is a really left field idea but it has helped in the past.)

Any updates on the situation?

Richie
24-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Did you sort this?

My only thinking here is it has to be a motherboard issue or a graphic's card issue.
Is it giving you anything at all when turning it off and then on again or just black screen completely?

Check that the RAM is in correctly as you never know. I have had people build PC's and not input the RAM correctly which can cause this type of issue.
Another idea could possibly be the CPU. I assume it has a cooler on it so take that cooler unit off pull the cpu out and put it back in making sure it is in firmly and correctly. (This is a really left field idea but it has helped in the past.)

Any updates on the situation?

It hasn't happened again but it will creep back up. I'm just going to try buy a protection plan with dell for the year so if it breaks they can sort it out because I'm sick of this and haven't the money to spend on a new machine.

Lee
24-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Yeah that's a good idea :)

RealClifford
24-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Yeah. My advice to you would be build your own PC's. More reliable, cheaper and you can get whatever you want and customize it to your needs. Building your own PC is much cheaper if you know how.

It is quite simple. there are plenty of guides online. If you ever look at building one let me know and I can price out parts for you. I refuse to deal with Dell, HP or any of those large companies other than for Dell's servers because they are beast aswell as sexy. aha

All the best buddy.

Richie
24-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Yeah. My advice to you would be build your own PC's. More reliable, cheaper and you can get whatever you want and customize it to your needs. Building your own PC is much cheaper if you know how.

It is quite simple. there are plenty of guides online. If you ever look at building one let me know and I can price out parts for you. I refuse to deal with Dell, HP or any of those large companies other than for Dell's servers because they are beast aswell as sexy. aha

All the best buddy.

ah ye pal but id prefer to pay 150euro than a grand for a new machine

RealClifford
24-02-2012, 12:56 AM
I paid just over $1000 (AU) for my PC I built.. It is going to last 5-10years atleast..
Much better life than a Dell. Atleast in my experience.

To each their own. :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!