PDA

View Full Version : What operating system do you use?

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm just curious :)

I use Mac OS X Lion 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I use Windows XP on a virtual machine. The only time I use my virtual machine is when I want to use a programme with no Mac OS X counterparts. The reason I'm using XP on a virtual machine is because it runs like butter compared to Windows 7. I also hate Windows Vista.

Catchy
16-02-2012, 12:30 PM
i used to use os x snow leopard on a hackintosh but i got fed up with fiddling about with it so now i'm just back to vista. Operating systems don't mean much for me anyway as long as they're able to run chrome that's fine for me... I don't do much on my computer apart from go online.

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I couldn't go back to Windows full time :/ I find it awkward to use now. Everything is half-arsed. I know HOW to use Windows fine but I can't be bothered.

Catchy
16-02-2012, 12:54 PM
yeah like i said though only 2 things I use my laptop for is chrome and skype so operating systems don't bother me :)

Mr-Trainor
16-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I have Windows 7 on my laptop, but Windows Vista on my PC :P.

Ajthedragon
16-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Windows Vista. I never fully understood what made it and windows 7 different other than a different task bar.

Catchy
16-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Windows Vista. I never fully understood what made it and windows 7 different other than a different task bar.

'Windows vista done properly' apparently. It has more compatibility with various hardware, it's more under the hood stuff.

Shar
16-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Windows vista on my laptop, windows 7 on the other two

Markeh
16-02-2012, 02:06 PM
7 on my main rig, Vista on my workshop PC (though this is dead), XP via VM, Ubuntu via VM.

GommeInc
16-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Windows 7 on all machines I use and own.

dirrty
16-02-2012, 03:24 PM
lion. i do have xp on my macbook aswell, but i rarely (if ever) used it.

Recursion
16-02-2012, 03:43 PM
In order of usage:
Laptop: Windows 7, Arch Linux
Desktop: Windows 7
MacBook: Windows 7, OS X Lion

At Uni I get the choice of 7/Lion/Fedora in the labs, at work we use XP/7, Ubuntu, CentOS and Server 2k3r2/2k8r2.

Chris
16-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Windows 7 :D

Jordan
16-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I've been using my old computer since my laptop died and really need to get one sometime. I have Windows XP

peteyt
16-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I use Windows 7 and before this used XP (Been on 7 for probably nearly a year now though). Didn't like Vista was too buggy, basically when it was first released a lot of hardware was stillincompatiblebecause so much had changed.

I have used Macs occasionally, while I was at university mainly. I wouldn't mind one, but find everything I need works on Windows and some of the stuff I use, SAM Broadcaster for instance, doesn't work on Mac - there are always Mac alternatives but they aren't always good.

xxMATTGxx
16-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I use the best selling operating system of all time and that is: Windows 7. Although it's not an operating system I'm using now, I have actually owned a Mac for a year running Leopard and I switched back to Windows. Mac users say you never go back but I did and I will be sticking with Windows! :P

Zuth
16-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Windows 7

HotelUser
17-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I use the best selling operating system of all time and that is: Windows 7. Although it's not an operating system I'm using now, I have actually owned a Mac for a year running Leopard and I switched back to Windows. Mac users say you never go back but I did and I will be sticking with Windows! :P

In that case, I use the operating system engineered by the company who's valued at more money then the company who has the best selling operating system of all time. And my OS of choice is OS X. I switched when Windows Vista (I apologize for swearing) came out, and after falling in love with OS X, multitouch input, smoother snap-back scrolling, spaces, and of recent my Macbook Pro, I'll never switch back to using Windows as my primary OS (although I do use Windows in the developing scheme of things, IE8 is an unfortunate scar to which web developers still must unfortunately support).

Jutnux
17-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Arch Linux on all the machiens I own.

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2012, 03:57 PM
In that case, I use the operating system engineered by the company who's valued at more money then the company who has the best selling operating system of all time. And my OS of choice is OS X. I switched when Windows Vista (I apologize for swearing) came out, and after falling in love with OS X, multitouch input, smoother snap-back scrolling, spaces, and of recent my Macbook Pro, I'll never switch back to using Windows as my primary OS (although I do use Windows in the developing scheme of things, IE8 is an unfortunate scar to which web developers still must unfortunately support).

Stop trying to cause an argument. It's a proven fact Windows 7 is the best selling operating system of all time and I didn't post it to cause an argument. You really do annoy me when you do this. :rolleyes:

I love how you go on about IE8 like you are forced to use it if you use a Windows operating system, what a load of bollocks.

HotelUser
17-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Stop trying to cause an argument. It's a proven fact Windows 7 is the best selling operating system of all time and I didn't post it to cause an argument. You really do annoy me when you do this. :rolleyes:

I love how you go on about IE8 like you are forced to use it if you use a Windows operating system, what a load of bollocks.

I'm not disputing the fact that it's sold more than other operating systems.

It's a proven fact that Apple is worth more than Microsoft and Google combined.

You're the one who brought the not so important statistics into the thread.

Jutnux
17-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Pssh Matt, if Apple find out you're tarnishing their rep they'll sue you!!!1111

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Pssh Matt, if Apple find out you're tarnishing their rep they'll sue you!!!1111

I know right! I haven't even said anything bad about Apple but HotelUser thinks I have.

Recursion
17-02-2012, 06:32 PM

It's also a proven fact that Apple is an an entirely different market and have far more agressive market strategies than either Google or Microsoft, with both of them doing a lot of charity and open source work (which Apple do next to nothing for... aside from WebKit possibly?)

Qzaki
17-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Mac OS X Lion

GommeInc
17-02-2012, 06:51 PM

His statistic makes more sense than company value. Windows 7 is an OS, this is an OS discussion hence Matt posting a widely accepted statistic about the world's best selling OS.
Apple is a company, it is the most valuable tech company on the planet. This is an OS discussion, hence you post a pointless fact because you have a bee in your proverbial bonnet because OS X isn't the World's Best Selling OS ;)

HotelUser
17-02-2012, 07:10 PM
It's also a proven fact that Apple is an an entirely different market and have far more agressive market strategies than either Google or Microsoft, with both of them doing a lot of charity and open source work (which Apple do next to nothing for... aside from WebKit possibly?)

His statistic makes more sense than company value. Windows 7 is an OS, this is an OS discussion hence Matt posting a widely accepted statistic about the world's best selling OS.
Apple is a company, it is the most valuable tech company on the planet. This is an OS discussion, hence you post a pointless fact because you have a bee in your proverbial bonnet because OS X isn't the World's Best Selling OS;)

No, it being "best selling" has absolutely no single particle of contribution towards how good the software is compared to OS X. Apple does Hardware and Software therefore they don't attempt to super market OS X to other platforms like Microsoft does. Do not confuse marketing with product quality. The best example to prove that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's best is Internet Explorer, now if you do claim that it became the most popular browser because it's the best you autolose the argument ;)

Recursion
17-02-2012, 07:13 PM
No, it being "best selling" has absolutely no single particle of contribution towards how good the software is compared to OS X. Apple does Hardware and Software therefore they don't attempt to super market OS X to other platforms like Microsoft does. Do not confuse marketing with product quality. The best example to prove that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's best is Internet Explorer, now if you do claim that it became the most popular browser because it's the best you autolose the argument ;)

You quoted me, yet nothing you posted has anyrelevanceto what I said? :P

By no means do Apple make shoddy products, I just think their business practices are shady, could do with being a bit more 'community spirited' and generally being a "nicer" company.

Conspiracy.
17-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Just because more people own something it doesn't make it better.

Blinger
17-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Just because more people own something it doesn't make it better.

Like da windows OS!!!!!!

I use a mix between ubuntu and windows 7. Love the feel/look of ubuntu and its ability to do pretty much everything I've thrown at it. But windows will always be useful especially since my ipod syncs with genius on windows!

HotelUser
17-02-2012, 07:44 PM
You quoted me, yet nothing you posted has anyrelevanceto what I said? :P

By no means do Apple make shoddy products, I just think their business practices are shady, could do with being a bit more 'community spirited' and generally being a "nicer" company.

As long as you're not trying to say that Windows is better because it "sells more" then I have no beef :D

GommeInc
17-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I never stated anything in relation to this post so one can only assume you're digging for another pointless argument. I said Matt's post is relevant because it's true, I never stated it makes the OS immediately amazing, I just stated that the statistics are, in fact, true - Windows 7 is the best selling OS and this is an OS discussion - what's wrong with posting factual information for once? Again, you glaze over important parts of a discussion because you love a damn good moan and want to defend your pityful religion. Do read the discussion and stop going off on a tangent, you're living up to the Appleism/Jobist stereotype.

Also, the bit in bold is hilarious. I assume you can smell the irony in what you just said?

HotelUser
17-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I never stated anything in relation to this post so one can only assume you're digging for another pointless argument. I said Matt's post is relevant because it's true, I never stated it makes the OS immediately amazing, I just stated that the statistics are, in fact, true - Windows 7 is the best selling OS and this is an OS discussion - what's wrong with posting factual information for once? Again, you glaze over important parts of a discussion because you love a damn good moan and want to defend your pityful religion. Do read the discussion and stop going off on a tangent, you're living up to the Appleism/Jobist stereotype.

Also, the bit in bold is hilarious. I assume you can smell the irony in what you just said?

If you feel it's okay for him to post a statistic whichcoincideswith the company who developed the OS he uses, then surly you feel it's okay for me to do the same. my point is neither statistics Matt or myself posted relates to how good the OSes are. It seemed completely useless to me that Matt posted that "best selling" statistic, so I chose to post a positive statistic for Apple with my OS choice :)

Martin
17-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I have windows 7 on my main computer and windows vista on the laptop!

jasey
17-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Mac OSX Lion and iOS 5!

Conspiracy.
19-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Who uses an older version of Windows? O___O Using Windows 98 or lower would drive me crazy. I thought me using XP as a virtual machine was bad.

Recursion
19-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Who uses an older version of Windows? O___O Using Windows 98 or lower would drive me crazy. I thought me using XP as a virtual machine was bad.

Windows 3.1 is where it's at, y0!

triston220
19-02-2012, 09:43 PM
At home, I use Windows 7 most of the time. I occasionally boot into OS X 10.5 when I decide to learn a little more Obective-C.

Matthew
19-02-2012, 09:47 PM
windows 7 :)

Conspiracy.
19-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Windows 3.1 is where it's at, y0!
LOL I actually wanted to try and find Windows 3.1 as an .iso file before and run it in a virtual machine for ***** and giggles.

Eoin247
20-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Windows vista using a classic windows theme on my laptop. You should add options for tablet os types (I know android is linux, but still). Dislike Mac os myself. Have used it for years in school, never liked the feel of it.

beth
20-02-2012, 02:41 AM
use windows vista. had 7 for a year and disliked it. feel vista is nicer but that's just me not knowing any under the hood stuff xox

auffant1
20-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I have Windows 7 on my desktop. Works great.

Leviathan
20-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Windows 7 95% of the time, and Ubuntu for the other 5%. :D

Nli.
20-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Apple may be worth more than Microsoft and Google combined but this for one moment does not prove that their operating system is better than another. That's just an opinion.

And I have an opinion of my own, I'm not saying I'm right or anything especially as I have no evidence of what I am about to say but you may think that Apple offer a better operating system because (for example, it may or may not be true). Apple computers are quite expensive so therefore people would probably not have an Apple computer as their "first computer" - or whatever. So generally the majority of the people on this forum may have grown up using a Windows OS basedcomputertherefore they would be more used to how it operates, and it's flaws. So they come across something new and different to them an Apple OS and it's so much better to them because all the flaws they noticed in Windows over the years aren't there in Mac OS so it's significantly better straight away, it works differently and so on. I think that is partly why many people do tend to believe that Mac OS is better than Windows. I'm not saying it is. I could go on but anyway, that's my opinion.

As for my operating system, I use Mac OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro and use Windows 7 and XP on other computers.

HotelUser
21-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Apple may be worth more than Microsoft and Google combined but this for one moment does not prove that their operating system is better than another. That's just an opinion.

And I have an opinion of my own, I'm not saying I'm right or anything especially as I have no evidence of what I am about to say but you may think that Apple offer a better operating system because (for example, it may or may not be true). Apple computers are quite expensive so therefore people would probably not have an Apple computer as their "first computer" - or whatever. So generally the majority of the people on this forum may have grown up using a Windows OS basedcomputertherefore they would be more used to how it operates, and it's flaws. So they come across something new and different to them an Apple OS and it's so much better to them because all the flaws they noticed in Windows over the years aren't there in Mac OS so it's significantly better straight away, it works differently and so on. I think that is partly why many people do tend to believe that Mac OS is better than Windows. I'm not saying it is. I could go on but anyway, that's my opinion.

As for my operating system, I use Mac OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro and use Windows 7 and XP on other computers.

You missed the part in the thread where I only pointed out it's worth more because a Windows user pointed out Windows sells more in attempt to make Windows look better. I never said, nor would I ever attempt to say that an operating system's quality may be based upon the fiscal credentials of that operating system or its creator's company.

Mathew
21-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm still on Vista *hangs head in shame*!!

Recursion
21-02-2012, 02:12 PM
33 Windows votes vs 7 MacOS votes, nice ;)

Hushie
21-02-2012, 03:11 PM
It's windows 7 for me

wiktoria
21-02-2012, 06:43 PM
windows 7 on my laptop
windows vista on my pc well the pc is my brothers rly

HotelUser
21-02-2012, 09:10 PM
33 Windows votes vs 7 MacOS votes, nice ;)

Quantity isn't the road to victory here Mr.GuyWhoToldMeHeWasntAMSFanboy ;)

Conspiracy.
21-02-2012, 09:25 PM
The Mac and Windows fanboys/girls need to get along D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t13wLot3hM

Listen to Pinkie.

Gibs960
21-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Windows 7

Nli.
21-02-2012, 10:07 PM
You missed the part in the thread where I only pointed out it's worth more because a Windows user pointed out Windows sells more in attempt to make Windows look better. I never said, nor would I ever attempt to say that an operating system's quality may be based upon the fiscal credentials of that operating system or its creator's company.

Sorry, I weren't aiming my entire post at you.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!