PDA

View Full Version : OS X Mountain Lion

Qzaki
16-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Later this summer apple are brining out another OS - Mountain Lion. I LOVE anything Apple so I am extremely excited about this but so soon after lion? Whats your opinions on this? i think it looks great so far!

Link (http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/)

Kieran
16-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Looks good :)

When the developer centre comes back up I'll download it and give it a go :)

dirrty
16-02-2012, 03:16 PM
seems like lion came out a few months ago lol. dunno whether i'll get that though - the only thing that'd possibly sway me is the messages app. but hey, we'll see...

Red
16-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Well I absolutley hate lion. My safari always crashes now and I HATE mission control with a passion. I want expose back:( Reminders and Notes looks good.

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Another one? O_________O Bloody hell, that was quick :| I know I'll buy it :P I'm a sucker for Apple too.

xxMATTGxx
16-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Its quick because it isn't a major release. Its like Snow Leopard :P

Leopard. - Major
Snow Leopard - Minor
Lion - Major
Mountain Lion - Minor

Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

Recursion
16-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh goody, another service pack Apple are going to make you pay for!

Not even joking, these minor releases are the Apple alternative of a Windows service pack.

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Omg, omg, omg :D Game Center :D :D :D I love Game Center <3333 I'll buy it just for this :L

Chippiewill
16-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Not even joking, these minor releases are the Apple alternative of a Windows service pack.
These are the Apple alternative of Windows' second Tuesday of the month.

On a serious note game center will struggle thanks to valve's policy of only one CDP.

peteyt
16-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Apple should release it free really. It's typical to release something and then a few months later release something new for it but with a price.

Rainbow
16-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds good I may buy it not sure yet, wouldn't really use any that much apart from game center, notes and the reminder thing now and again.

Qzaki
16-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Difference is Windows costs £80? Lion cost £20 :P

I have to admit lion is incredibly slow compared to snow leopard imo so hopefully this will sort it out :)

xxMATTGxx
16-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Difference is Windows costs £80? Lion cost £20 :P

I have to admit lion is incredibly slow compared to snow leopard imo so hopefully this will sort it out :)

Apple can get away with selling it at £20 because they also sell the computers that are required to run the operating system at big prices. Microsoft sells the software and doesn't sell the computers, also the new versions of Windows are "Major" releases and I would rather pay for them than paying for minor releases every year or so which is why people class them as "Service Packs for OSX".

Qzaki
16-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Apple can get away with selling it at £20 because they also sell the computers that are required to run the operating system at big prices. Microsoft sells the software and doesn't sell the computers, also the new versions of Windows are "Major" releases and I would rather pay for them than paying for minor releases every year or so which is why people class them as "Service Packs for OSX".

Ahah, I can't help but love Apple though.

xxMATTGxx
16-02-2012, 05:18 PM

I'm not trying to stop you from loving Apple! :P

Qzaki
16-02-2012, 05:21 PM

You can create pretty good Hackintosh's for nice prices then its just Mac OS with your own setup :P

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Same <3333

ooooh, Growl's (http://growl.info/) gonna go bye bye D:

Qzaki
16-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Same <3333

ooooh, Growl's (http://growl.info/) gonna go bye bye D:

Good! I hate Growl.. =/

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I like it :P I just wish more applications were compatible with it.

Qzaki
16-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I like it :P I just wish more applications were compatible with it.

I have 1-3 that are compatible and it needs an update and isn't giving it me free >=(

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Ah, that's crap. I actually have a few which are compatible. I had to disable Last.fm as I would get a notification every time I skipped a song -____-

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff489/this_conspiracy/ScreenShot2012-02-16at180516.png

jasey
16-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I can't wait to get this for my Macbook Air!

GommeInc
16-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Thank you for saying this, it means I don't have to and someone else can take the blame :P

I don't understand why people worship Apple, it seems to be getting worse every year with every update. I sort of worry about these individuals :P It makes you want Apple to go bankrupt to see what happens... It would be like a social experiment to see how brand loyalty can affect an individual - you got it a bit when Jobs died, alll the fanatics came out of the woodwork. It sort of gives you an insight into how people may have mourned for Cheesus, except one was fictional.

As with any Windows vs. Apple discussion, I look forward to the future of computer OS' when Windows is getting ready to release a new OS. It gives you an idea what the future holds.

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 08:48 PM
The reason I love Apple is because I find their products easy to use and they're user-friendly. Like I've said on another thread, I can USE Windows fine but the awkwardness of the OS annoys me. I don't like the way Windows works and I find it annoying to use. I don't "worship" apple, I don't like everything they do. I thought the background scrolling in OS X Lion was ridiculous. I understand why they make it like that on iOS because you're physically touching the screen, I don't touch the screen on my iMac so it made no sense. I also don't like the auto-save feature in Lion. I also didn't like Steve Jobs, I thought he was a bit of a **** :/

GommeInc
16-02-2012, 08:58 PM
The reason I love Apple is because I find their products easy to use and they're user-friendly. Like I've said on another thread, I can USE Windows fine but the awkwardness of the OS annoys me. I don't like the way Windows works and I find it annoying to use. I don't "worship" apple, I don't like everything they do. I thought the background scrolling in OS X Lion was ridiculous. I understand why they make it like that on iOS because you're physically touching the screen, I don't touch the screen on my iMac so it made no sense. I also don't like the auto-save feature in Lion. I also didn't like Steve Jobs, I thought he was a bit of a **** :/
Thankfully you're one of these people who just use a product for what it is and what it does, rather than who made it. Extreme brand loyalists are some of most irritating people on the planet. Never become one of those people who live in one of those Apple cults who worship anything with a fruit on, they live off of delusions of self-grandure, and need a good slap to the back of the head to shut them up.

Catchy
16-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh gosh another one... Lmao looks good the the iMessage feature seems really good!

HotelUser
16-02-2012, 09:08 PM
[@]@gommeInc[/@]

Yes Microsoft will tell you what the future holds... they only neglected to re-enter the Smartphone industry years too late, tablet industry, held the browser market back for years with IE, then there was the attempt at entering the music industry with the Zune (LOL). Microsoft will have a marketplace for apps and that's unique (oh wait, Apple did that with the iPhone), Windows 8 will be fantastic and onpar with what Apple and Google are doing but it certainly wont "tell us what the future holds" anymore than what iOS or ICS has already told us. It will bring a different perspective on things but one one smack out of the future. You seem to have forgotten that it's OS X that currently has the most tablet/touch like interface with support for things like multitouch input out of the box and Windows 7 doesn't even have things like relatively smooth scrolling with snapbacks at the ends of content. Microsoft is a snail which has been slowly falling behind in the race and is attempting to catch back up. They will catch back up, but they certainly wont pass anyone by miles.

I don't come into Microsoft threads ranting like you do for every Apple thread but what can I say. Haters ([@]@xxmattgxx[/@]) gonna ([@]@gommeInc[/@]) hate ([@]@Recursion[/@]). I don't care if I have to pay $30 for an OS upgrade. I like my Macs, I like OS X and I will enjoy the notification center in 10.8.

xxMATTGxx
16-02-2012, 09:37 PM
No one suggested Microsoft was showing anyone what the future brings to be honest. :rolleyes:

Leopard. - Major
Snow Leopard - Minor
Lion - Major
Mountain Lion - Minor

The above is what I posted in this thread, no hate has been shown to Apple. I was clearly explaining that Apple do a major release and a minor release which is more like a service pack. I then also explained how Apple can get away with selling it's OS cheaper than Microsoft.

I've never stated any hate towards Apple or stated that Microsoft was leading the future with Windows 8.

Thank you.

Recursion
16-02-2012, 09:38 PM
No one suggested Microsoft was showing anyone what the future brings to be honest. :rolleyes:

This...

And yes, yes you do David. ;)

Conspiracy.
16-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Thankfully you're one of these people who just use a product for what it is and what it does, rather than who made it. Extreme brand loyalists are some of most irritating people on the planet. Never become one of those people who live in one of those Apple cults who worship anything with a fruit on, they live off of delusions of self-grandure, and need a good slap to the back of the head to shut them up.
This is why people on Apple forums hate me :P And Windows and Linux fanboys/girls hate me. I can't win :P

peteyt
16-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Is it just me or did it used to be all about the geeks ha.

Basically go back a few years - if you wanted a computer most of the people would look at specs, compatibility with the software they wanted, what it could do etc.

Today - it now seems to be buy the product that looks the nicest and don't even bother comparing specs and stuff (at least for some of the buyers).

I'm not against windows or macs but I think people should buy the products that they need - look at what it can do for you. If you find a mac easier to use then buy a mac but if you find Windows easier, don't just buy a Mac because you adore Apple.

Chippiewill
17-02-2012, 12:01 AM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40354/Next_Mac_update_blocks_unapproved_nonApp_Store_gam es_by_default.php

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

Dumb ass feature.

Recursion
17-02-2012, 12:38 AM
... so they're effectively locking out FOSS and home developers and the like? Wow...

GommeInc
17-02-2012, 12:47 AM
I was reading an article on "The Top 15 Features Coming With Mounted Lion". The 15th Top New Feature is: Call it OS X, Apple have dropped the Mac part of "Mac OS X" to "OS X". Doesn't really scream wonders if the media can't find anything amazing :P Heck, most if not all of these features should be in some sort of free, major update as part of OS X Lion - a Service Pack equivilent perhaps? It seems stupid to pay anymore for mediocre features. That said, people will buy it anyway because they love the picture of a fruit. This is where they get their money from :P

EDIT: Oh, another big update is that it renames a load of features... This is coming from a site which may as well call itself Mashapple because of the amount of brown nosing they do :P

Qzaki
17-02-2012, 01:01 AM
They will probably just improve speed and make the OS more smooth with this not really about the new features. And I love Mac's for what it is, the simplicity of the OS the ease to use, they work great and look great.

I agree with everything that [@]@HotelUser[/@] said above.

GommeInc
17-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Yes Microsoft will tell you what the future holds...
... Annnnnd... the discussion is over. Re-read what I said, I didn't say Microsoft, but you are one to skip over essential details and blow a gasket.

Conspiracy.
17-02-2012, 01:19 AM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40354/Next_Mac_update_blocks_unapproved_nonApp_Store_gam es_by_default.php

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldp3jukzHo1qb9a2wo1_500.png

Dumb ass feature.
I thought by default they were blocking apps not in the App Store and apps that weren't from identified developers (like Google) :/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff489/this_conspiracy/ScreenShot2012-02-17at011721.png

That's what it seems like in this screenshot.

So, it's not all Apps not in the App Store, just Apps from unknown developers.

I think for inexperienced users that's a good thing. Advanced users will just disable it anyway.

Recursion
17-02-2012, 01:57 AM
I thought by default they were blocking apps not in the App Store and apps that weren't from identified developers (like Google) :/

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff489/this_conspiracy/ScreenShot2012-02-17at011721.png

That's what it seems like in this screenshot.

So, it's not all Apps not in the App Store, just Apps from unknown developers.

I think for inexperienced users that's a good thing. Advanced users will just disable it anyway.

It's getting awfully close to that locked down iOS system... I give it until 10.9 or 11.0 where they'll take that option out completely and force you to use the App Store.

Conspiracy.
17-02-2012, 12:02 PM
If so I'll be tamping :/ That would be a very stupid move.

Chippiewill
17-02-2012, 12:09 PM
It's getting awfully close to that locked down iOS system... I give it until 10.9 or 11.0 where they'll take that option out completely and force you to use the App Store.
Apple are going have to tread oh so lightly, that Anti-trust law-suit is looming.

GommeInc
17-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Apple are going have to tread oh so lightly, that Anti-trust law-suit is looming.
Judging by the way they seem to be evading anti-competitive law suits, I think they may be able to afford or evade an anti-trust law suit too :P

HotelUser
17-02-2012, 03:30 PM
They will probably just improve speed and make the OS more smooth with this not really about the new features. And I love Mac's for what it is, the simplicity of the OS the ease to use, they work great and look great.

I agree with everything that [@]@HotelUser[/@] said above.

Good to hear. It'sessentiallyimpossible to have a genuine discussion about OS X on the forums because the hardcore Microsoft fanboys ([@]@GommeInc[/@], [@]@xxmattgxx[/@], [@]@Recursion)[/@] moan about Apple just as much as I moan about RIM.

On another note, can't wait to upgrade my Mac Book Pro and 27" iMac to Mountain Lion, notifications are going to be lovely :)

Qzaki
17-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Good to hear. It'sessentiallyimpossible to have a genuine discussion about OS X on the forums because the hardcore Microsoft fanboys ([@]@GommeInc[/@], [@]@xxmattgxx[/@], [@]@Recursion)[/@] moan about Apple just as much as I moan about RIM.

On another note, can't wait to upgrade my Mac Book Pro and 27" iMac to Mountain Lion, notifications are going to be lovely :)

Hell yeah! Im just hoping they speed it up to what Snow Leopard was.. when I upgraded to Lion the speed decreased by a lot :(

xxMATTGxx
17-02-2012, 03:58 PM

David, it looks like you have missed my post. I shall post it again for you:

Leopard. - Major
Snow Leopard - Minor
Lion - Major
Mountain Lion - Minor

The above is what I posted in this thread, no hate has been shown to Apple. I was clearly explaining that Apple do a major release and a minor release which is more like a service pack. I then also explained how Apple can get away with selling it's OS cheaper than Microsoft.

I've never stated any hate towards Apple or stated that Microsoft was leading the future with Windows 8.

Thank you.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!