PDA

View Full Version : Infographic

Chippiewill
17-02-2012, 12:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vhoAH.jpg

Very interesting insight.

peteyt
17-02-2012, 12:49 AM
I agree with some of the article. You candefinitely get the same specs as a mac for a PC/Laptop much cheaper, although a lot of people prefer the fact that it's all together and not parts manufactured byseparatecompanies. My main critisisim with the article is about Foxconn - The article tries to make the readers think that the parts in other non Mac pc's don't come from similar factories but they probably come from something exactly the same. Actually according to Wikipedia (so not the best source I know) Acer (the article mentioned buying from them) and other companies e.g. HP use Foxconn.

I definitely agree with the whole Alienware and other high end computers - manufactures try to make their computer sound like the best. I know people who have thought I want to get the fastest computer, the best graphics, yet they don't do anything that will utilise them. It all comes down to the whole fasted car thing - people will spend money on having the latest up to date model of stuff, the fasted etc. even if they'll only use even a quarter of its power.

People know I'm not the biggest Mac fan - I like Mac's and wouldn't mind one, but I think they are made to sound better than they are, the whole non virus thing. If anything it's more apple I dislike, the way people will often buy anything with their name on without looking at what it is, what they need etc. However I did find the article to biased towards Windows.

jasey
17-02-2012, 01:10 AM
It's interesting but I pity the fool that takes that as complete truth.

GommeInc
17-02-2012, 01:19 AM
It's interesting but I pity the fool that takes that as complete truth.
Indeed, the bit about Foxconn is ridiculous. Apple are not the only company to use those factories, so it's unfair to pin the blame on Apple.

Dentafrice
18-02-2012, 07:17 PM
It's just a biased example of someone hating on Apple.

I pay for the experience, the UI, the amount of design that goes into their products, and the reliability of them.

Sure, I could pay $25 or a Timex watch that tells me the time, but I'll stick with my Rolex. Sure it's a fashion and wealth statement, but the Rolex will outlive and outlast my Timex.

Jutnux
19-02-2012, 09:19 AM

I pay for the experience, the UI, the amount of design that goes into their products, and the reliability of them.

Sure, I could pay $25 or a Timex watch that tells me the time, but I'll stick with my Rolex. Sure it's a fashion and wealth statement, but the Rolex will outlive and outlast my Timex.

But if the parts are the same/worse than ones you can buy, how is it more reliable?

Rolexs are nice too, my step-mother has had hers for 15 years.

Recursion
19-02-2012, 11:22 AM

But if the parts are the same/worse than ones you can buy, how is it more reliable?

Rolexs are nice too, my step-mother has had hers for 15 years.

This. The parts come from exactly the same vendors, and there's no way you can cry reliability between the operating systems, they all have proof of great reliability (Linux especially)

Dentafrice
19-02-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/reliability.htm

Look, we can argue OS reliability vs. hardware reliability all day. It all comes down to a personal preference and experience. I know that I've had my MBP since November, and my Toshiba Laptop since October. I've only shut my MBP down for upgrades, and just close the screen and never had one reboot.. never had one freeze up.. never had one problem with it. I do a lot of development, and I mean a lot. Never had a problem. Can't say that for my Toshiba laptop. I called Toshiba and spoke to someone in another country who barely could speak English about a problem they had no idea how to fix.

I've taken my iPhone 4 into an Apple Store and received a brand new one that day. Do that over the phone with Samsung with a non-English speaking person in another country.

As far as parts? It all goes like this...
--------

You can hire two contractors to build two houses the exact same for you. They can both get their parts at the same home improvement warehouse (Lowes, Home Depot, etc).. and start working.

One may finish super fast, but was sloppy and didn't care about his work and just wanted the money to move onto the next job. The doors may squeak, molding may not be aligned or cut right, tile work may be not aligned, cabinets not secured as well as they could, etc.

You call him after the job and complain, and he may come fix it for a price... he may show up late and half-assed fix it... or he may not do it at all... all the while when you call, his representative is Indian from another country and is not able to answer your questions on her "script" of questions to answer.

One may take some more time to do it, but he actually cares about his work. He does everything up to par, and it looks amazing. He tells you if you ever have a problem, just call him and he'll come in and fix it right away for no charge, no questions asked.

This is Apple.

Everyone can argue all they want, but it's really personal preference.

Jutnux
19-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Look, we can argue OS reliability vs. hardware reliability all day. It all comes down to a personal preference and experience. I know that I've had my MBP since November, and my Toshiba Laptop since October. I've only shut my MBP down for upgrades, and just close the screen and never had one reboot.. never had one freeze up.. never had one problem with it. I do a lot of development, and I mean a lot. Never had a problem. Can't say that for my Toshiba laptop. I called Toshiba and spoke to someone in another country who barely could speak English about a problem they had no idea how to fix.

I've taken my iPhone 4 into an Apple Store and received a brand new one that day. Do that over the phone with Samsung with a non-English speaking person in another country.

--------

You can hire two contractors to build two houses the exact same for you. They can both get their parts at the same home improvement warehouse (Lowes, Home Depot, etc).. and start working.

One may finish super fast, but was sloppy and didn't care about his work and just wanted the money to move onto the next job. The doors may squeak, molding may not be aligned or cut right, tile work may be not aligned, cabinets not secured as well as they could, etc.

You call him after the job and complain, and he may come fix it for a price... he may show up late and half-assed fix it... or he may not do it at all... all the while when you call, his representative is Indian from another country and is not able to answer your questions on her "script" of questions to answer.

One may take some more time to do it, but he actually cares about his work. He does everything up to par, and it looks amazing. He tells you if you ever have a problem, just call him and he'll come in and fix it right away for no charge, no questions asked.

This is Apple.

Hey man, I agree that it's personal preference and I wasn't trying to cause an argument, I also agree that Apple have a superior replacement policy than any other manufacturer but at the end of the day they are the same parts and they can't really be built in a different way. If I was to build myself a computer with the exact same parts that the Mac had, how would it be any less reliable like the hardcore Mac lovers say?

not trying to cause an argument xooxox

GommeInc
19-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Hardly, it's a biased towards hating expensive computers in general. Did you not read the bit about Alienware? What it said was pretty spot on.

peteyt
19-02-2012, 11:26 PM

--------

This is Apple.

It is a personal preference but what you've just said is basically computers are made quick just to get quick income and not done right when apple takes its time and has a perfect fully working device.

I think both are as bad as each other and you should buy what you need.

Chippiewill
03-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Found another..http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669154/ikill-infographic-charts-the-human-cost-of-the-iphone

peteyt
03-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Yet again very biased

GommeInc
03-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Yet again very biased
I would normally agree, but they make it clear in the text that "Apple isn’t the only Foxconn customer by any stretch, but they are the largest, richest, and most lauded.". Apple comes under fire because they are the world's richest company yet use cheap, overseas labour. In addition to this, many Americans think Apple should move factories to the US to boost the US economy and lower unemployment rates. It's not really bias as articles talking about the Argentine v. Falklands articles, it's just taking the key subject and discussing it. For once it's quite an unbiased article, because it's a bit difficult for a writer to agree with the hell Foxconn workers go through and it's being pretty factual. Apple are perhaps one of the most unethical companies on the planet at the moment, an organisation that could happily afford to be ethical yet turns a blind eye. It's one of their major criticisms these days.

The final paragraph is very good too, it plays on Jobs' famous one-liners.

peteyt
04-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I would normally agree, but they make it clear in the text that "Apple isn’t the only Foxconn customer by any stretch, but they are the largest, richest, and most lauded.". Apple comes under fire because they are the world's richest company yet use cheap, overseas labour. In addition to this, many Americans think Apple should move factories to the US to boost the US economy and lower unemployment rates. It's not really bias as articles talking about the Argentine v. Falklands articles, it's just taking the key subject and discussing it. For once it's quite an unbiased article, because it's a bit difficult for a writer to agree with the hell Foxconn workers go through and it's being pretty factual. Apple are perhaps one of the most unethical companies on the planet at the moment, an organisation that could happily afford to be ethical yet turns a blind eye. It's one of their major criticisms these days.

The final paragraph is very good too, it plays on Jobs' famous one-liners.

I think the problem is these infograms come across as very one sided. I often laugh at the over the top mac and pc users - they both are machines and both have advantages and disadvantages and lots of companies use cheap labour. Notice the comment about how they are trying to change a load of things, apple, e.g. making things a lot better - He then goes on to say they have made changes and while its still bad its a start - the problem is the article doesn'tacknowledgethe good things they are trying to do (and this is coming from me and I'm not really into apple - I think its just something people buy as a fashion accessory).

Chippiewill
04-03-2012, 01:18 AM
When Tim Cook is saying “Frankly speaking, it’s [$98 billion] more than we need to run the company.” yet they're not willing to dish out the cash to improve the quality of life and well being of these people then that's essentially Apple pushing the people off the cliff themselves.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!