PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem - files seem to keep getting corrupt, freezing etc

peteyt
19-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Hi

My computer has started to get worse than usual - it is getting on 4-5 years etc. Basically it keeps freezing occasionally needing a forced reboot/shut down - basically holding the power button as nothing will worse - sadly this will make it worse and for a while it will fail to boot.

It has days when it can do everything I need it to and it seemed to be okay the other day until it kept getting error messages when opening most thing - something to do with explorer something (can't remember the part of explorer it was but it wasn't explorer.exe). It did a disc scan and found corrupt files but after removing them has been failing to boot.

I'm at my radio station's studio at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if I got home to have it fully working again. I keep doing start up repairs and so on and sometimes it will work for a day or so then go back to being strange.

Is this the sign of just an old computer? Could it be the hard drive is faulty - is there a way I can test this - I do need a new computer but won't be able to afford a new one for quite some time and don't fancy buying new parts If I'm not sure what part is playing up. If there's a way to test a hard drive better than the disc can I wouldn't mind trying it (I have access to other computers that I can download stuff from)

Thanks and rep to everyone who has any ideas!

Recursion
19-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Reinstall Windows, then run something like HDTune to check the hard disk's SMART status.

peteyt
19-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Reinstall Windows, then run something like HDTune to check the hard disk's SMART status.

Is there anything like that I could do without re-installing windows e.g. booting it from a disc.

Recursion
20-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Is there anything like that I could do without re-installing windows e.g. booting it from a disc.

You could boot a Linux live CD and do it I guess.

Jack!
21-02-2012, 11:38 PM
You could boot a Linux live CD and do it I guess.

Or a bootable USB.

OT: YOu could partition your drive, so you can back everything up, then reinstall.

peteyt
22-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up trying something called Hiren's BootCD - basically a collection of handy tools for different tasks and while it found errors and got them all fixed (following scans showed no errors) it still didn't boot and after playing around with it I ended up making it worse and messing with the boot settings more.

I have a caddie however and so decided to plug it into the family computer, back some important files for safety and thenreformatted- it managed to keep the files after all andall seems okay.

Sadly now I don't have office though - I had office unlimited a life time license that I got cheap while I was studying at university and the serial was emailed to my uni webmail account which I don't have access to any more as I have left. I was sure I had put the serial in notepad format but can't find it anywhere.

Twista500
22-02-2012, 12:57 PM
That sucks Just Get a cracked Office :) Btw If its still bad try Getting a new hard drive, I had this issue but got a new computer, It could be really anything a virus perhaps?
If The Format didnt work Get Windows xp from Microsoft (its free there) and Get that until you get Vista or w.e you want

peteyt
22-02-2012, 03:38 PM
That sucks Just Get a cracked Office :) Btw If its still bad try Getting a new hard drive, I had this issue but got a new computer, It could be really anything a virus perhaps?
If The Format didnt work Get Windows xp from Microsoft (its free there) and Get that until you get Vista or w.e you want

Are you sure XP is free - there doesn't seem to be any download but they are slowly discontinuing it and wan't people on vista or 7 is possible. However it seems that the pc is okay at the moment, but I have a legal copy of 7 Ultimate anyway's. I'm seeing if I can find the office serial but its no good at the moment, I'd just rather use a legal copy if I can over an illegal one.

Twista500
22-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah Well I really recommend a lower Windows or dont use aero If you are slows the computer alot and for a free copy of xp i cant really find it atm but im sure if you search you will find :|)

peteyt
22-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah Well I really recommend a lower Windows or dont use aero If you are slows the computer alot and for a free copy of xp i cant really find it atm but im sure if you search you will find :|)

You can get one illegally yeah but I prefer having a legal operating system - avoids issues. I think it just needed a reformat but eventually I may replace the hard drive

Recursion
23-02-2012, 12:07 AM
You should be able to run Windows 7 just fine on a 4ish year old machine (or any machine with 2GB RAM basically).

Twista500
23-02-2012, 12:24 AM
You should be able to run Windows 7 just fine on a 4ish year old machine (or any machine with 2GB RAM basically).
RAM doesnt really have anything to do with it, I have 6 GB Ram and the computer is not the best

Recursion
23-02-2012, 12:47 AM
RAM doesnt really have anything to do with it, I have 6 GB Ram and the computer is not the best

Then you have some serious issues that need looking at (unless of course, you actually mean "is not the best" in which case, you'll never get a computer that is "the best").

I've deployed Windows 7 on as low as P4 machines with 2GB RAM and Intel HD integrated graphics cards at work, they run 100% fine and dandy. In fact, I'm testing it on 1GB RAM netbooks soon too.

Windows 7's performance is heavily based around the amount of RAM you have and whether you have an SSD or not.

Twista500
23-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Then you have some serious issues that need looking at. I've deployed Windows 7 on as low as P4 machines with 2GB RAM and Intel HD integrated graphics cards at work, they run 100% fine and dandy. In fact, I'm testing it on 1GB RAM netbooks soon too.
Nope I mean its not the best computer Its good but not like an alienware etc

Recursion
23-02-2012, 12:51 AM

... I'm loling right now. Alienware are the Apple of the PC market, their hardware is *EXACTLY* the same as you'd buy in a Dell, a home built computer or any other machine.

6GB is a perfectly respectable amount of RAM.

Of course, as my other post states, you'll never be "the best", that's what super computers are for.

Twista500
23-02-2012, 12:57 AM
you'll never be "the best"
This is what i mean

xxMATTGxx
23-02-2012, 01:00 AM

You do not need an alienware to run Windows 7. What sort of computer do you even have in terms of specifications?

Twista500
23-02-2012, 01:24 AM
You do not need an alienware to run Windows 7. What sort of computer do you even have in terms of specifications?
Lol I dont mean it that way I can run windows 7 fine I mean Its not good for gaming etc

---------- Post added 23-02-2012 at 01:26 AM ----------

Oh and I have a 1.3 Ghz 6 Gb Ram Quad Core AMD Radeon HD Graphics a6 Vision HP Pavilon g Series

xxMATTGxx
23-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Lol I dont mean it that way I can run windows 7 fine I mean Its not good for gaming etc

---------- Post added 23-02-2012 at 01:26 AM ----------

Oh and I have a 1.3 Ghz 6 Gb Ram Quad Core AMD Radeon HD Graphics a6 Vision HP Pavilon g Series

Running Windows 7 fine and then playing games on it is two different things. Running games that require certain hardware, mainly CPU and GPU then that would be understandable. But fair enough!

Twista500
23-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Running Windows 7 fine and then playing games on it is two different things. Running games that require certain hardware, mainly CPU and GPU then that would be understandable. But fair enough!
Heh I got GPU But this crap over heats With a freaking quad core and a cooling pad

peteyt
23-02-2012, 02:11 AM

If you have 6gb of RAM as the above poster stated you either have a very basic processor or some real problem. I have 2gb of ram a dual core amd processor and I used to use xp but upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit edition and most of the time its smooth and seems fine now.

Twista500
23-02-2012, 02:12 AM
If you have 6gb of RAM as the above poster stated you either have a very basic processor or some real problem. I have 2gb of ram a dual core amd processor and I used to use xp but upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit edition and most of the time its smooth and seems fine now.
Again I didnt mean it like that it runs smooth too I mean its Not the BEST computer

peteyt
23-02-2012, 04:16 AM
Again I didnt mean it like that it runs smooth too I mean its Not the BEST computer

The problem is they release new hardware all the time so the best computer well changes. The thing that kind of annoys me is a lot of people want the best computer - they'll pay loads for it but a lot don't need the full specs - i've known people to want to get the ultimate graphics card and **** for like habbo and basic usage. My graphic card isn't the best only cost me like 30 or so but I played the original Crysis on it and haven't really experienced any issues.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!