PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GTX 570 installation. [+RE

9y
20-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Hey guys,

I got my new computer about 3 weeks ago and still having troubles of getting anything out of it.

The card has two ports at the back of it, a 8pin and a 6pin, see pic.

(http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/02/gainward-geforce-gtx-570-phantom-review/gtx570-phantom-6b.jpg)

I have a standard 800watt PSU which apparently should support it well. I need to find the cables that will connect both the 8 and the 6pin to a standard molex port.

If anyone knows where I could get these, it would be amazing, It's a bit of a ballache having a £300 card with no use...

+Rep for any help :)

Thanks

Scott

Stephen!
20-02-2012, 12:56 PM
If the PSU does not come with the cables already attached, then I would not trust it to run that card.

In any case, the cables should have come with the card. Look in the box.

If not, just search "Molex to 6 Pin PCI-E" and "Molex to 8 Pin PCI-E". There are loads on ebay.

You will require four free molex connections though.

Recursion
20-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I'd doubt the PSU could carry the load of a GPU of off molex based lines... (i.e. the rails in the PSU)

9y
20-02-2012, 01:29 PM
The only cables that came with the card were a 8pin to x2 6pin connector.

Do I require both connected to run the card?

Recursion
20-02-2012, 04:04 PM
The only cables that came with the card were a 8pin to x2 6pin connector.

Do I require both connected to run the card?

Yes. /longer

Tomm
20-02-2012, 04:28 PM
What PSU is this? I'm highly suspiciousof a 800w PSU that only comes with a single 8 pin connector.

Stephen!
20-02-2012, 04:43 PM
What PSU is this? I'm highly suspiciousof a 800w PSU that only comes with a single 8 pin connector.

From what I understand the PSU comes with no PCI-E power cables. In that case I highly doubt it was designed to run high powered GPU's.

Tomm
20-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Ah, that's even worse then. I suspect this is a cheap "no-name" PSU. If that is the case I highly recommend you don't use it, especially for a 570 which is quite expensive. Not only do you run the risk of the PSU failing quitespectacularly you run the risk of damaging the components hooked up to it. Typically cheap psus will fudge the overall wattage by providing a low current on the 12V rail(s) and a very high current on the 3.3v and 5v rails making the cheap PSU basically useless since the main power draws in the computer, the CPU and GPUs are powered by the 12v rail. Also you'll most likely find that the cheap PSU suffers from voltagefluctuations on all rails causing system instability.

From what I understand the PSU comes with no PCI-E power cables. In that case I highly doubt it was designed to run high powered GPU's.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!