PDA

View Full Version : "Don't Get it"

Meloneeze.
28-02-2012, 11:43 PM
There are many things I "do not get". What does this mean? Well, it just means...well, most of the questions are rhetorical... try to answer them please!
Why do we have five fingers?

How do you know you're going to die?

Why is a verb called a 'verb'?

How do our senses tell us we're hungry?

What is love?

Those are just a few...I'll add more from time to time...

Inseriousity.
29-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Lol well number 2 is easy. We know we're going to die because we know other people die and we are the same so we'll die too. When you're gonna die is a different matter though. Personally, I've got my fingers crossed I don't get hit by a bus.

FlyingJesus
29-02-2012, 12:10 AM
most of the questions are rhetorical... try to answer them please!

Think you might have a wrong idea of what the word rhetorical means

Why do we have five fingers?
How do you know you're going to die?
Why is a verb called a 'verb'?
How do our senses tell us we're hungry?
What is love?

Because we evolved to best work with this many, and there was no survival necessity that required us to ever have more so that's where it stopped
You don't
From the Latin "verbum" which means word
They don't
Stas Fedyanin

GommeInc
29-02-2012, 12:38 AM
1. Why do we have five fingers?

2. How do you know you're going to die?

3. Why is a verb called a 'verb'?

4. How do our senses tell us we're hungry?

5. What is love?

FlyingJesus answered this question quite well but it's always good to have a second load of answers.

1. Evolution. We evolved to have 5 fingers, and have learnt to use them to best of our capacity. In theory, we can survive with just 3 - index, middle and smallest, to work alongside the thumb. All 5 fingers were, arguably, formed to help us climb and manipulate our surroundings.

2. Depends what you're dying of. Most of the time you do not, and it also depends what you mean by "knowing". Some people feel something is wrong but do not act upon it by finding out IF there is something wrong. You only really know (this is an assumption) if you're going to die just before it happens, like the event after being sawn in half or an incredible amount of pain. This question is mostly unanswered for the simple fact people who do die cannot tell you their experiences, but it's unavoidable that you will die but you may not necessarily know when :P

3. Sounds nice. No word has an innate meaning, other than onomatopoeically named words (words that immitate sounds associated with it e.g. buzz). FlyingJesus answered why the word verb is called verb.

4. I think hunger is one of the many senses - one of the ones that isn't one of the 5 senses, because it goes beyond the sense of feeling. They do sort of tell you, in a chemical/biological sort of way, but that's something for a medical/bioscience student to answer :P

5. Whatever you make it out to be. It completely subjectively and down to your own judgement.

Neversoft
29-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Love is evol, spell it backwards, I'll show ya.

FlyingJesus
29-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Another Rakim line that Eminem stole

"Love backwards here is evol but it's legal" a year before Em's line, and his whole "I am whatever you say I am" thing from back in the day is stolen from Rakim too, except Ra actually made a good line out of it that made sense

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!