PDA

View Full Version : CUT OFF

Metric1
01-03-2012, 03:52 AM
So, I have 2 brothers and a step-sister who I consider my real sister. I have other step-sibilings but I'm not nearly as close to them as I am to Ashley. Anyway, they have never worked. They have always gotten money from either my mom, step-dad or both. Me on the other hand have been working for my mom since I was 16. My bothers have gotten cars, money, clothes basically what they wanted, they got. I worked, paid for my own cars and I have money in the bank.

At new years they decided to cut us off, make us have jobs or live off the money we have. I'm fine, I have a bunch of money and my mom emailed me and she was like this isn't aimed at you, we're trying to teach the rest of them a lesson but I can't cut them off and not you. I respect that, I have more than enough money to do me through the summer and I'll also be working a ton over the summer so I have money for next year.

My brothers and sister aren't doing so well. They won't get jobs, they have a communal vehicle yet they would rather spend their money on drinking, going out and smoking cigarettes and weed. My mom filled their car up when she was here, it's currently on empty sitting in the driveway and they expect to use my car THAT I PAID FOR and not put gas in it. I lied to them and told them I had no money left so they would **** off but they are like ASH BUY ME A PACK OF SMOKES, ASH PUT SOME GAS IN THE VAN - my brother even went to far as to park the van behind my car while it was empty because he figured I would take it to school and put gas in it. I moved the van, got my car out and put the van where it has been sitting ever since.

They are dying without money, I am fine but they all expect that mom will cave and things will go back to the way they used to.

Have any of your parents cut you off? How did you manage?

beth
01-03-2012, 04:29 AM
my parents cut me off after i left college, and i haven't had any kind of regular money from them since. i don't expect to either, as an adult i should be earning my own money (and if that's not possible: claiming my own benefits, or finding a way to stay above water).

yr siblings (no disrespect) sound like spongey little brats, and i'm sure they'll learn that they have to live by themselves. you just gotta be strong too. but maybe, yr parents haven't helped by giving them so much money etc. perhaps you could be helpful towards them by showing them job vacancies or maybe even giving them a work ethic by idk if they clean yr car or yr house or do something for you, maybe they can earn something in return.

perhaps because they've never learnt to work they're struggling to get into the mindset.

FlyingJesus
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
My parents provide food and shelter for me (which admittedly is more than I deserve) but otherwise I do my own thing. They're both fairly generous and offer to buy me clothes/shoes/extra food when I'm out with them or something but I hate using their money so I only accept if it's something I really need rather than want or if it's my birthday where I will make full use of "BUT IT'S MY BIRRRRRRRRRRRTHDAY" if I see something shiny

Shar
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
same here ^^
I don't fully rely on my parents financially anyway

Cerys
01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
From what my parents have told me, when I get my own house they will assist me a little bit if I really really do fail, but apart from that they will cut me off, but that's only when I get my own house.

Samantha
01-03-2012, 07:58 PM
My parents have been urging me to get a job as my £20 ema i get doesn't even cover the diesel in my parents car. They would never cut me off, but then again, I don't ask for much at all. For my birthday I don't ask for anything but regardless they give me money and if I need some they will give me some (as they get my ema anyway) but I give them it back as I am not a spender so most will be returned on the same day. In the future I'm sure they will help if I have a lack of money (if they have some) as they help our family anyway, but I agree with [@]@Publicised[/@] if they hadnt got so much in the past they wouldnt need as much in the future etc. However, your brothers get cars and stuff yet you choose to pay your own way but when your mum cuts them off, you're cut off too? On one side that's fair but on the other it isnt if you get me.

Metric1
01-03-2012, 09:53 PM
We aren't really like "cut off" meaning we're on our own - the house is paid for, van is paid for, all bills are paid for we just can't call up our parents and ask them for money for booze and going out. Its our extras that we have to pay for on our own!

Vause
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't work at the moment, I never really got money off her anyway.. she pays for our house by herself and I give her money when I can afford too. She always buys me things though without me asking. Such as cigarettes, hairspray, clothes, nice food that I normally can't afford.. I'm so grateful and I expect nothing from my mum apart from a nice warm bed and a loving relationship (cheesy.com), but me and my mum are really really close and that's how it's always been :)

beth
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
We aren't really like "cut off" meaning we're on our own - the house is paid for, van is paid for, all bills are paid for we just can't call up our parents and ask them for money for booze and going out. Its our extras that we have to pay for on our own!

all the bills are paid for and yr rent is sorted. well that's hardly being cut off.

Vause
02-03-2012, 02:09 PM
all the bills are paid for and yr rent is sorted. well that's hardly being cut off.

Exactly Beth. My mum worked hard to pay bills and rent but I try my best to give her board out of my JSA becuase I hate knowing she works 40 hours a week to watch me sit around doing nothing. I earn my right to have nice things, i.e i clean up, i sort washing, iron everything, change the bedding twice a month, clean the windows... just stuff that i feel i owe to my mum for giving me a roof over my head. if your parents are paying for you to live and paying for food without asking for anything back off you, you're very lucky.

beth
02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Exactly Beth. My mum worked hard to pay bills and rent but I try my best to give her board out of my JSA becuase I hate knowing she works 40 hours a week to watch me sit around doing nothing. I earn my right to have nice things, i.e i clean up, i sort washing, iron everything, change the bedding twice a month, clean the windows... just stuff that i feel i owe to my mum for giving me a roof over my head. if your parents are paying for you to live and paying for food without asking for anything back off you, you're very lucky.

yeah i do all that stuff too, plus look after my little sister everyday which kinda earns my keep i guess. i tried to give my mom some of my jsa before (i don't live with her but i know she has it hard with bills even after working full time) but she won't take it cause it's mine :(

Vause
02-03-2012, 02:17 PM
yeah i do all that stuff too, plus look after my little sister everyday which kinda earns my keep i guess. i tried to give my mom some of my jsa before (i don't live with her but i know she has it hard with bills even after working full time) but she won't take it cause it's mine :(

yeah, my mum doesn't take alot from me because she knows i need it, for my own bills but i force her to have it because she's going through a divorce atm and i feel so bad and sorry for her. :( but because i live here too i like knowing my house is clean etc so i always feel good after i proper go for it and clean everyyyyyyyywhere! my mums the same, even though she works mega hours she still struggles, because this house was once paid for by 2 people but he left her.. so it's a huge house and 1 wage doesn't really cover much else after bills and rent, but we get by and we have nice things :)

JerseySafety
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
My parents haven't and looking at them they want to support me and want me to stay at home so yeah. Doesn't really bother me atm.

Metric1
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM

we don't get anything else.

FlyingJesus
02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Ash, having to buy your own alcohol is not being cut off lol

Inseriousity.
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I cut myself off. My dad's a self-employedpainter/decorator so the recession hit us hard and it got to the point where the only thing putting food on the table for all of us was EMA (was at college at the time).Times areslightly better now and they don't rely on me for money but as I have a younger brother and sister - one of themstill at school -I know they have to spend more money on them than on me. I'm not really materialistic anyway so as long as I have a bed and food on the table, I'd be alright and anything extra I can, at the moment, buy thatfine myself.

Stephen
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I think this is just the normal thing that happens to overly spoilt children. In the end their parents stop buying one little thing for them and they act like it's the end of the world

Metric1
03-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Its not just alcohol. We get nothing. We used to get like random money dumped in our accounts, not now. Our needs are paid for, our wants aren't. I am fairing perfectly fine.

GirlNextDoor15
03-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I agree with Stephen this time. You're hardly being cut off. The rule of thumb is simple. Dont go overboard and ask for stuff they cannot afford. You have to understand how hard it is to earn money. Live by what you have and don't ask for more.

Metric1
04-03-2012, 03:44 AM
I agree with Stephen this time. You're hardly being cut off. The rule of thumb is simple. Dont go overboard and ask for stuff they cannot afford. You have to understand how hard it is to earn money. Live by what you have and don't ask for more.

I am the one who has worked all though high-school and I work all summer. The rest of the family doesn't.

GirlNextDoor15
04-03-2012, 03:57 AM
I am the one who has worked all though high-school and I work all summer. The rest of the family doesn't.

So, you worked for yourself and for ur family too?

FlyingJesus
04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Its not just alcohol. We get nothing. We used to get like random money dumped in our accounts, not now. Our needs are paid for, our wants aren't. I am fairing perfectly fine.

That's still not cut off :P Being cut off is being left entirely to fend for yourself - something you may be able to do as you keep saying, but not something you're actually being made to do lol

You have to understand how hard it is to earn money. Live by what you have and don't ask for more.

Why? If everything's given to you on a plate what necessity is there to learn what hard living is about? And what does anyone ever achieve by not wanting more?

GirlNextDoor15
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Why? If everything's given to you on a plate what necessity is there to learn what hard living is about? And what does anyone ever achieve by not wanting more?

You know I always hear people talking about the East-West dichotomy but I barely pay attention to it until you indirectly mentioned it. And the fact that we should live by what we have is already proven when you compare east and west. Not gonna talk much about this. However, we are still young and should learn to work for what we want instead of keep asking for it without realizing how immature that will be. I'm not referring to you, Ash. No worries. :)

dirrty
04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
my mum would never cut me off. she's always asking me if i need/want things and most definitely spoils me (even though i'm 20). but generally, i would never ask my mum for something unless she offered as i'm still quite rational. i've only had 1 job and that was only for 1 month, and the only times i go to bank of mum is when i need to borrow 'x' amount for 2 weeks or so to cover my rent (have to pay before i get my student loan) or delaying paying my car insurance to her for a while (once again, until my loan comes through).even though i am spoilt, that doesn't mean i don't understand what it's like to go through hardship anyway. everything is easier said than done when it comes to money.

and lol, being cut off is receiving nothingfrom whomever you were originally dependent upon. if you receive something, then you haven't been cut off as you're still financially dependent upon them.

Vause
04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
my mum would never cut me off. she's always asking me if i need/want things and most definitely spoils me (even though i'm 20). but generally, i would never ask my mum for something unless she offered as i'm still quite rational. i've only had 1 job and that was only for 1 month, and the only times i go to bank of mum is when i need to borrow 'x' amount for 2 weeks or so to cover my rent (have to pay before i get my student loan) or delaying paying my car insurance to her for a while (once again, until my loan comes through).even though i am spoilt, that doesn't mean i don't understand what it's like to go through hardship anyway. everything is easier said than done when it comes to money.

and lol, being cut off is receiving nothingfrom whomever you were originally dependent upon. if you receive something, then you haven't been cut off as you're still financially dependent upon them.

yeah you're mum sounds like mine, she spoils me more than she realizes. she went out yesterday and got me loads of new clothes, and i keep saying to her, it's her money, she needs to to buy herself things.. lol.

dirrty
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
yeah you're mum sounds like mine, she spoils me more than she realizes. she went out yesterday and got me loads of new clothes, and i keep saying to her, it's her money, she needs to to buy herself things.. lol.
she still spoils me mainly because 1. she can, 2. she can, 3. she can lol.

that's what i find annoying about some posts up in this thread which essentially say stop taking money of your parents and sort yourself out. if my parents can financially help/treat me, then why should i turn it down? it ain't hurting my pride accepting stuff from my mum and it sure as hell ain't hurting my wallet, wardrobe etc. i 100% understand about being financially independent, how to look after yourself on a budget, and all that crap. but sometimes i just want to be treated and care more about immediate gratification.

Vause
04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
My mum spoils me because she can aswell, but it gets annoying because she never does anything for herself, i have everything i need lol.

I don't expect anything from my mum because as i've said earlier in the post, she works to pay off this house by herself.

FlyingJesus
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
the fact that we should live by what we have is already proven when you compare east and west.

You saying "proven" suggests that you believe only one way of living is correct, which in no way takes the individual into account and condemns all of humanity to uniformity and strict dogmatic process of thought and execution. Regardless of that it's a somewhat invalid point since in both instances people wish to better themselves, which is a natural animal condition and (in most cases) not a harmful one that needs any kind of suppression

we are still young and should learn to work for what we want instead of keep asking for it without realizing how immature that will be.

If you want the Nobel Peace Prize, perhaps, but if there's an easier way to get what you want (being given it, for example) why should anyone deny themselves such bounty? Being servile to society is all good and well if there's no other option or if you prefer to live that way, but there's no innate debt that anyone owes to it so it's hardly fair to say that everyone ought to live for the same ideals

GirlNextDoor15
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
You saying "proven" suggests that you believe only one way of living is correct, which in no way takes the individual into account and condemns all of humanity to uniformity and strict dogmatic process of thought and execution. Regardless of that it's a somewhat invalid point since in both instances people wish to better themselves, which is a natural animal condition and (in most cases) not a harmful one that needs any kind of suppression

With the Eurozone crisis and high unemployment rate at Western countries, you still want to deny that ASIA is stronger than the Western countries? We don't have to take the whole ASIA as an example. Countries like Vietnam and China will make a good example already. It's not just what I think or how I want things to be.

If you want the Nobel Peace Prize, perhaps, but if there's an easier way to get what you want (being given it, for example) why should anyone deny themselves such bounty? Being servile to society is all good and well if there's no other option or if you prefer to live that way, but there's no innate debt that anyone owes to it so it's hardly fair to say that everyone ought to live for the same ideals

I can understand what you're trying to convey here but it's unrealistic. You and I both know there is no easy way to get what you want unless you work for it. We are not living in a fantasy world where everything is given to us on a plate. How ever absurd and heart breaking you might think the truth is, we just have to accept it and live with it until better days which are suitable for changes come.

dirrty
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I can understand what you're trying to convey here but it's unrealistic. You and I both know there is no easy way to get what you want unless you work for it. We are not living in a fantasy world where everything is given to us on a plate. How ever absurd and heart breaking you might think the truth is, we just have to accept it and live with it until better days which are suitable for changes come.
...speak for yourself. there are probably millions of people in this world who receive everything from their parents/whomever. to them it's not a fantasy world, but rather their own reality which evidently is different to others who don't have access to such luxuries. and nevertheless, everyone doesn't have to work for everything. hell, i've only worked a month in my life, incredibly materialistic and haven't done any deviant acts to acquire things, so evidently there is a easy way to get what you want...

GirlNextDoor15
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
...speak for yourself. there are probably millions of people in this world who receive everything from their parents/whomever. to them it's not a fantasy world, but rather their own reality which evidently is different to others who don't have access to such luxuries. and nevertheless, everyone doesn't have to work for everything. hell, i've only worked a month in my life, incredibly materialistic and haven't done any deviant acts to acquire things, so evidently there is a easy way to get what you want...

...speak for yourself. transition of adulthood when reality hits you very hard and the 'We are not living in a fantasy world where everything is given to us on a plate' suddenly becomes true instead of 'mama i want a lollipop'. Somehow, we all as adults will have to live independently and work hard because you won't get food or even CLEAN WATER FREE unless you beg for it which is a lazy way of thinking. Human beings love the easy way method. Maybe because of that we have wars etc.

dirrty
05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
...speak for yourself. transition of adulthood when reality hits you very hard and the 'We are not living in a fantasy world where everything is given to us on a plate' suddenly becomes true instead of 'mama i want a lollipop'. Somehow, we all as adults will have to live independently and work hard because you won't get food or even CLEAN WATER FREE unless you beg for it which is a lazy way of thinking. Human beings love the easy way method. Maybe because of that we have wars etc.
i don't get how you can't grasp that not everyone is in that bloody situation, omg. as i said in my previous post, not everyone has to fend for themselves because they have family/even the government who'd financially help them. no one should think any less than them, but rather they are utilising what is available to them. and there is a difference between asking for something, and begging for it - only those who believe they're incredibly desperate, beg.

GirlNextDoor15
05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
i don't get how you can't grasp that not everyone is in that bloody situation, omg. as i said in my previous post, not everyone has to fend for themselves because they have family/even the government who'd financially help them. no one should think any less than them, but rather they are utilising what is available to them. and there is a difference between asking for something, and begging for it - only those who believe they're incredibly desperate, beg.

Why is it so hard to understand? The situation here is stupid. You don't have money for example to buy a car and so, you ask from your parents. But, you gotta know you can't rely on them forever and so, government can be another option. Financial aids from government will be a great burden to you and you'll face a more complicated future. The payment plus with the interests etc. So, that's why we have financial crisis. Why face all these problems when you can just live by what you have. It's like you can buy a car now but you can't buy a car in the future. Simple

beth
05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Why is it so hard to understand? The situation here is stupid. You don't have money for example to buy a car and so, you ask from your parents. But, you gotta know you can't rely on them forever and so, government can be another option. Financial aids from government will be a great burden to you and you'll face a more complicated future. The payment plus with the interests etc. So, that's why we have financial crisis. Why face all these problems when you can just live by what you have. It's like you can buy a car now but you can't buy a car in the future. Simple

because what is the point in living with what you have if yr not happy with it. that's liking saying those born into poverty should just stay there because that's what they should come to expect from life.

GirlNextDoor15
05-03-2012, 03:52 PM
because what is the point in living with what you have if yr not happy with it. that's liking saying those born into poverty should just stay there because that's what they should come to expect from life.

Ahhh I can see the problem now. You enjoy temporary happiness instead of being patient and then, you'll get what you want later. The concept is about working for what you want and not keep on asking for it until you're broke. And that's a good example too. You can try to improve your life but don't go over the board like I said. Today, you can ask for a car but tomorrow, you may ask for an aeroplane. That's when I say live by what you have until it's right for changes. For instance, people in Vietnam has been living by what they have but it's obvious their economic growth now is better than Greece.

dirrty
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
i understand everything perfectly, thank you very much. i believe it's you who fails to see the wider picture. i (and probably everyone else) are aware that they can't rely on their parents forever, but there are some people who literally can because their family wealth is so vast. this is what you're not understanding. you're assuming that everyone is in the same boat, and thus should be treated, and act the same financially. but there are too many different variables within different families and the individuals themselves to just simply assume. and just because an individual receives, borrows, etc. money from their family doesn't mean they don't understand that the treatment that they're receiving doesn't last forever.nevertheless, in regards to financial aid from the government, of course one shouldn't simply rely on them if they can avoid it, but that's easier said than done (especially for those who have legitimate reasons for receiving 'x' amount from the government). and in my previous post when i mentioned financial aid from the government, i actually meant that in relation to student loans but that's by fault for not stating that originally, but nevertheless, everyone is different - so assuming one argument for everyone is ridiculous.

GirlNextDoor15
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
i understand everything perfectly, thank you very much. i believe it's you who fails to see the wider picture. i (and probably everyone else) are aware that they can't rely on their parents forever, but there are some people who literally can because their family wealth is so vast. this is what you're not understanding. you're assuming that everyone is in the same boat, and thus should be treated, and act the same financially. but there are too many different variables within different families and the individuals themselves to just simply assume. and just because an individual receives, borrows, etc. money from their family doesn't mean they don't understand that the treatment that they're receiving doesn't last forever.nevertheless, in regards to financial aid from the government, of course one shouldn't simply rely on them if they can avoid it, but that's easier said than done (especially for those who have legitimate reasons for receiving 'x' amount from the government). and in my previous post when i mentioned financial aid from the government, i actually meant that in relation to student loans but that's by fault for not stating that originally, but nevertheless, everyone is different - so assuming one argument for everyone is ridiculous.

Yes indeed. And that's the problem with this society. They won't appreciate the wealth until its all gone or used up. So, those who are not from wealthy family can all learn about this huge mistake of not living by what you have until appropriate changes should be done. About the financial aids, are materials like cars that important until you have to sacrifice half of your lifetime for it? We are living in this modern world still undergoing urbanization and we have buses, taxis, monorails etc.

dirrty
05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes indeed. And that's the problem with this society. They won't appreciate the wealth until its all gone or used up. About the financial aids, are materials like cars that important until you have to sacrifice half of your lifetime for it? We are living in this modern world still undergoing urbanization and we have buses, taxis, monorails etc.
pretty sure people can do whatever they want with their money - and family giving other members money doesn't equate to a problem for society. it's their own bloody money and they can do whatever they desire with it :S and i don't get how you've jumped so far ahead to assume that their wealth will be gone/used up. seems like you're thinking too extreme tbf.

and yes, i'm pretty sure a car is quite important (depending upon your location) if one wishes to have a job. besides commuting (which isn't viable for everyone), having a car is the next best thing. once again, you can't grasp that people can do whatever they want with their money if they have it. godddddddddddddd, why should people have to use buses, taxis, monorails when they can get a car if they desire? i'm applying for a summer internship and my adviser told me that only apply if i have a car because it's essentially in the middle of nowhere. should i get a taxi? no. why? because having a car is easier and because i can do what i want with what i have. i don't get why people should be told how to spend theirown money, jesus! the bus to my house finishes at 6. if i'm in the city centre, should i get a taxi? no. why? because i don't want to (and it's expensive). should i get a bus and walk the extra distance? no. why? because i don't want to. do you see a pattern emerging here? just because there are alternatives to something, doesn't mean everyone should jump ship and take the alternative method, especially if they're more comfortable with what they normally utilise and it's more convenient...

FlyingJesus
05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
With the Eurozone crisis and high unemployment rate at Western countries, you still want to deny that ASIA is stronger than the Western countries? We don't have to take the whole ASIA as an example. Countries like Vietnam and China will make a good example already. It's not just what I think or how I want things to be.

Ok well that has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked

Actually no, I know that there is an easy way to get what I want without working hard at all. I do live in a world where everything is given to me on a plate. I personally can't remember the last time I had to go milk a cow, crop some wheat, refine some sugar, mine some salt, dig for water, and build an oven in order to make a sandwich, and I'm pretty sure that's because I've never had to rather than due to poor memory

About the financial aids, are materials like cars that important until you have to sacrifice half of your lifetime for it?

Wait now you're basically saying that we shouldn't work for things :S "sacrific[ing] half of your lifetime" in order to gain material possessions sounds exactly like what getting a job and working hard means

GirlNextDoor15
06-03-2012, 05:25 AM
pretty sure people can do whatever they want with their money - and family giving other members money doesn't equate to a problem for society. it's their own bloody money and they can do whatever they desire with it :S and i don't get how you've jumped so far ahead to assume that their wealth will be gone/used up. seems like you're thinking too extreme tbf.

and yes, i'm pretty sure a car is quite important (depending upon your location) if one wishes to have a job. besides commuting (which isn't viable for everyone), having a car is the next best thing. once again, you can't grasp that people can do whatever they want with their money if they have it. godddddddddddddd, why should people have to use buses, taxis, monorails when they can get a car if they desire? i'm applying for a summer internship and my adviser told me that only apply if i have a car because it's essentially in the middle of nowhere. should i get a taxi? no. why? because having a car is easier and because i can do what i want with what i have. i don't get why people should be told how to spend theirown money, jesus! the bus to my house finishes at 6. if i'm in the city centre, should i get a taxi? no. why? because i don't want to (and it's expensive). should i get a bus and walk the extra distance? no. why? because i don't want to. do you see a pattern emerging here? just because there are alternatives to something, doesn't mean everyone should jump ship and take the alternative method, especially if they're more comfortable with what they normally utilise and it's more convenient...

Well, keep using your money without thinking and I'm sure you're gonna be broke before you even have a career. And yes, they can use money however they want it without working hard but who's gonna get the money for them? Parents? No, they're not Edward Cullen. Friends? They'll probably tell you to **** off. So, with all the money they have, when will they start thinking for themselves?

GET A CAR WHEN YOU HAVE CASH instead of loans because loans will be a burden unless you want to be stuck with loans, then it's k. That's the thing almost everyone fails to see. Don't you save money? Nobody tells you to use all of it when you have them. Save it for your future, that's what people say. But if your adviser is encouraging you to have a car, then fine.

FIRST WORLD

Actually no, I know that thereisan easy way to get what I want without working hard at all. Idolive in a world where everything is given to me on a plate. I personally can't remember the last time I had to go milk a cow, crop some wheat, refine some sugar, mine some salt, dig for water, and build an oven in order to make a sandwich, and I'm pretty sure that's because I've never had to rather than due to poor memory

Where do all the money come from? Parents is the easy way haha. Don't you at least work for it or government pay you allowances?

Wait now you're basically saying that we shouldn't work for things:S"sacrific[ing] half of your lifetime" in order to gain material possessions sounds exactly like what getting a job and working hard means

Well, everybody has to work for money. Money will not fall from the sky. But when you dont have enough money to buy what you want, you may go for financial aids and that means you're gonna pay back in the future.

dirrty
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Well, keep using your money without thinking and I'm sure you're gonna be broke before you even have a career. And yes, they can use money however they want it without working hard but who's gonna get the money for them? Parents? No, they're not Edward Cullen. Friends? They'll probably tell you to **** off. So, with all the money they have, when will they start thinking for themselves?

GET A CAR WHEN YOU HAVE CASH instead of loans because loans will be a burden unless you want to be stuck with loans, then it's k. That's the thing almost everyone fails to see. Don't you save money? Nobody tells you to use all of it when you have them. Save it for your future, that's what people say. But if your adviser is encouraging you to have a car, then fine.

FIRST WORLD
bloody hell, you're full of assumptions aren't you. plus, i'll be in a full-time job next year - so i'm pretty sure i won't be broke before then. and if anything happened and i was, bank of mummy and my student loan shall squash that. but nevertheless, a car can be seen to some as a financial investment. if public transport isn't viable, then a car is a necessity - otherwise one can't get to work as easy. relying solely on public transport when someone has to be somewhere at a specific time everyday can be quite risky - having a car makes life easier for everyone. srsly, once again you assume that everyone is the same and there aren't different variables that affect everyone differently.

FlyingJesus
06-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, everybody has to work for money.

NO. NO THEY DO NOT. Bloody hell this is not difficult - some people just get given things. I get given things. Ash gets given things. Akeem gets given things. The fact that we may work at some point in order to afford MORE things does not mean that it would be impossible for us to live without putting an ounce of effort into anything as first world citizens.

Also can you please please please stop contradicting yourself? It makes it difficult to know which argument to use when your entire post seems to boil down to "you should definitely not spend your money or get loans... unless you want to" which is no argument at all

Metric1
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
NO. NO THEY DO NOT. Bloody hell this is not difficult - some people just get given things. I get given things. Ash gets given things. Akeem gets given things. The fact that we may work at some point in order to afford MORE things does not mean that it would be impossible for us to live without putting an ounce of effort into anything as first world citizens.

Also can you please please please stop contradicting yourself? It makes it difficult to know which argument to use when your entire post seems to boil down to "you should definitely not spend your money or get loans... unless you want to" which is no argument at all

we saw it, we wanted it, we threw fits, we got it.

I get given more things than I do money.

My mom will still buy us things, she just stopped giving us unlimited amounts of spending money.

Technologic
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I no longer get given money now that i earn a fair amount from my job but i'm leaving in 2 weeks so yeah... got enough saved up to last until uni and then loans take over. Paid for pretty much everything off my own back this year which is good aha

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!