PDA

View Full Version : Raoul Moat victim PC David Rathband found dead at home

beth
01-03-2012, 08:09 AM
from bbc news:

The police officer shot and blinded by gunman Raoul Moat has been found dead at his house in Northumberland.

The body of David Rathband, 44, was found by police at his home in Blyth on Wednesday night after officers received a report of concern for his welfare.

Police said no-one else was being sought in connection with the death.

In July 2010, the PC was shot by Moat as he sat in his patrol car in Newcastle. It came a day after Moat had shot two others, one fatally.

Northumbria Police Chief Constable Sue Sim said: "I am deeply saddened to have to confirm the death of PC David Rathband and my thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this difficult time.

'Outstanding bravery'
"In July 2010 his life changed forever when he was shot and blinded by Raoul Moat.

"David showed outstanding bravery in what was a terrifying situation.

"He was a dedicated officer who acted in the best traditions of the police service."

Raoul Moat died following a six-hour stand-off with armed officers
PC Rathband was shot twice on 4 July as he was sitting, unarmed, in his car in the Denton Burn area of Newcastle.

A day earlier, in Birtley, Gateshead, Moat had shot and injured his ex-girlfriend Samantha Stobbart, 22, and killed her boyfriend 29-year-old Chris Brown.

For almost a week Moat was the subject of a huge manhunt, which ended when he shot himself dead after a stand-off with armed police in the market town of Rothbury, Northumberland.

After being shot by Moat, PC Rathband lost his sight and was fitted with prosthetic eyes.

He was hailed for his charity work in the wake of his injuries and started the Blue Lamp Foundation to help emergency service staff injured in the line of duty.

Police were called to PC Rathband's home on Wednesday night
In a statement on its website, the charity said: "Since being shot in July 2010, David struggled to come to terms with his horrific injuries and the traumatic effect they had on him and his family and friends.

"David's legacy will live on in the form of The Blue Lamp Foundation, which bears his name."

PC Rathband's brother Darren, who lives in Australia where the officer had been until recently, tweeted: "On way back to the UK to be at my brother's side. RIP Police Constable 190 David John Rathband."

In November the policeman, originally from Stafford, had announced on Twitter that he and his wife Kath were separating.

He said the move had nothing to do with his arrest on suspicion of assault.

PC Rathband was questioned in August after officers were called to an incident at the family home in Cramlington, Northumberland.

He was understood to have been released shortly afterwards.

In March last year two men, Karl Ness, 26, and Qhuram Awan, 23, were convicted of helping Raoul Moat.

Both were found guilty of the attempted murder of PC Rathband as well as other charges.

Speaking after the pair were sentenced, the officer said: "Both Ness and Awan will be very old people before they are released or considered for release and long may they stay there.

"These two individuals, along with the other coward who wasn't man enough to stay here, have taken my job from me."

very very sad to hear this story and i think you can maybe read between the lines that perhaps it was suicide? terrible for someone to have ruined someone elses life in such a way.

Matthew
01-03-2012, 08:18 AM
That's awful :(

RIP

Inseriousity.
01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
I set my alarm to wake me up andit's on the news rather than music and this was the story that was on at the time. very depressingthing to wake up to. He always tried to put on a brave face and was very inspirational but obviously the demons got too much to bear (if it was suicide). RIP. :(

Lee
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Very sad news, I am also thinking suicide but after all he's been through you must sympithise for his situation and everything he's been through. Extremely sad for his family who must be going througheven morehell than what they've already been through...

R.I.P.

Jazz
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Thats horrid news, Rest in peace :-(

Catchy
01-03-2012, 10:33 PM
yeah just heard this on the news and it's suspected suicide apparently. really sad i guess he just couldn't cope anymore after being shot which caused him to become blind. really sad hope raoul moat is burning in hell.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!