PDA

View Full Version : Does electronic communication foster isolation?

Neversoft
11-03-2012, 10:35 PM
"Iwai portrays a generation that's becoming incapable of experiencing genuine emotion in a world of electronic communication which promises greater interaction, but instead fosters isolation."

The above is an excerpt from a review Empire Magazine did on a film titled All About Lily Chou-Chou. It's pretty much a social commentary about a variety of characters who seek escape through cyberculture, with themes of isolation and the need for genuine communication and interaction. It is a fairly confusing film, and one that probably makes more sense in the heart as opposed to the head, which I saw mentioned in one of the other reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

What I want to ask, though, is do you agree with the statement by Empire? Not so much the part about emotions, but do you believe that, in this generation, electronic communication (via the internet, for example) does indeed foster isolation despite the fact that people seemingly talk to each other more than ever, and why do you think this? I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer, I am just interested in hearing people's thoughts.

dbgtz
11-03-2012, 10:41 PM
In ways, yes. Also with like games, if I want to play a game with a friend I'll just play online then bother going over and seeing each other etc. On the otherhand, people who would have been isolated previously can now communicate with other people easily.

On the whole though, no as things such as school force interaction to begin with and good parents would not allow children to be isolated.

dirrty
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
kinda i suppose. me and my housemate (whose room is adjacent to mine) always fb chat or text each other instead of talking to each other (unless it's gonna be a long convo then he'll come in my room/i'll go into his). but i wouldn't say that fosters isolation, but rather laziness :P

Neversoft
11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
On the otherhand, people who would have been isolated previously can now communicate with other people easily.

That was one of the films central themes. It poses many questions, yet never really answers any, but what I took from it was that electronic communication is far from the comfort of genuine human interaction. If an isolated person seeks escape through cyberculture, are they not furthering their descent into isolation? I appreciate that the internet is a good medium for advice and help and must have saved many lives, yet must have also ruined many others, but surely the interaction of persons solely online is very unhealthy. Personally, I believe humans are built with a need for genuine communication.

FlyingJesus
11-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Isolation perhaps, but not lack of emotion

jasey
11-03-2012, 11:28 PM
The internet has definitely isolated me. I still go outside and do things on a somewhat regular basis (either by obligation through work or simply for the pleasure of seeing a friend) but, that being said, I think I live most of my life online. Most of my social outlets are on the internet and I seem to enjoy expressing myself more on here. I agree with [@]@FlyingJesus[/@] in that cyberculture doesn't stifle emotion, though. I get very emotional all the time when I read and experience things online.

Neversoft
12-03-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't think cyberculture represses emotion, either. If anything, it has made me more emotional. I do however believe it demeans emotion somewhat. A lot of things expressed by people online lack a basis or genuine meaning from my experience. A lot of people seem mundane or simply attention seeking. I'm not saying it's any different out in the real world, but it is certainly more apparent online.

jasey
12-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't think cyberculture represses emotion, either. If anything, it has made me more emotional. I do however believe it demeans emotion somewhat. A lot of things expressed by people online lack a basis or genuine meaning from my experience. A lot of people seem mundane or simply attention seeking. I'm not saying it's any different out in the real world, but it is certainly more apparent online.

Yeah! I definitely agree with this. Online, it is a lot easier to express an emotion that you don't actually feel for the sake of the conversation. A lot of things that people say online aren't genuine and are just said to convey a certain personality or attitude.

Jazz
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah I suppose, but it depends on the person really. But I don't agree with the emotions side, the internet doesn't really have an affect of emotion

GirlNextDoor15
12-03-2012, 11:17 AM

I'd call it virtual reality in which you get to experience doing something without actually doing it, if you get what I mean. And I agree that it does foster isolation as lots of teenagers nowadays are not practical anymore. Well, in one way or the other, it does demean emotion. How many of us truly mean whatever we say. For example, you aren't really laughing out loud when you use the term 'LOL'.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!